Ways to fix the DCEU

Position The Court as a shady organisation representing corporate America, and Batman as the lone crusader trying to bring down the evil empire, and you’re golden.

The more I think about it, the more I'm in love with the idea of Amazon buying the DC stable as proposed in your sig.

I mean if let's say a studio or something other than Warner Bros were to buy all the rights for every single DC character in the universe would be a start...like Disney buying all the rights to Marvel

A studio like Universal or New Line Cinema should buy the rights to DC away from Warner Bros

I mean if let's say a studio or something other than Warner Bros were to buy all the rights for every single DC character in the universe would be a start...like Disney buying all the rights to Marvel

A studio like Universal or New Line Cinema should buy the rights to DC away from Warner Bros

New Line is a WB subsidiary so it's not that going to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I'm in love with the idea of Amazon buying the DC stable as proposed in your sig.

Yup. It's the only real way I can see now for DC to challenge Marvel in any meaningful way in live action going forward.

Marvel have owned the cinema space for the past decade, notwithstanding Nolan's movies. Everyone else who has attempted to create a cinematic universe of similar size and scope has failed. That is beyond dispute.

The next 'battleground' so to speak (and I don't just mean in terms of comic book live action) is the cinema vs the streaming services. And it's a battle the streaming services will eventually win.

For DC to be in with a chance of competing with, and potentially outdoing, Disney/Marvel, it has to be owned and controlled by a new media company that recognises the importance that streaming will have going forward. That's Amazon. More than Netflix or Disney, Amazon know how to sell a product, and sell it very, very well.

In my dream world, Amazon purchases DC - and completely breaks the mold as to how to present superhero live action. No more divisions between TV and film. No more 'tentpole' characters and 'secondary' characters. No more ' you can't use that character here' bull****.

A living, breathing multiverse that encompasses all relevant media formats. Jake Gyllenhall as Batman on your cinema screen, on your Kindle Fire Stick, and in your hand as a graphic novel, at the same time, with no barriers.

...or, you know. We could just limp on with a DCEU created and run by old media, full of people who can't see which way the wind is blowing, and are mired ina traditional way of thinking that's fast becoming irrelevant.

Yup. It's the only real way I can see now for DC to challenge Marvel in any meaningful way in live action going forward.

Marvel have owned the cinema space for the past decade, notwithstanding Nolan's movies. Everyone else who has attempted to create a cinematic universe of similar size and scope has failed. That is beyond dispute.

The next 'battleground' so to speak (and I don't just mean in terms of comic book live action) is the cinema vs the streaming services. And it's a battle the streaming services will eventually win.

For DC to be in with a chance of competing with, and potentially outdoing, Disney/Marvel, it has to be owned and controlled by a new media company that recognises the importance that streaming will have going forward. That's Amazon. More than Netflix or Disney, Amazon know how to sell a product, and sell it very, very well.

In my dream world, Amazon purchases DC - and completely breaks the mold as to how to present superhero live action. No more divisions between TV and film. No more 'tentpole' characters and 'secondary' characters. No more ' you can't use that character here' bull****.

A living, breathing multiverse that encompasses all relevant media formats. Jake Gyllenhall as Batman on your cinema screen, on your Kindle Fire Stick, and in your hand as a graphic novel, at the same time, with no barriers.

...or, you know. We could just limp on with a DCEU created and run by old media, full of people who can't see which way the wind is blowing, and are mired ina traditional way of thinking that's fast becoming irrelevant.
Absolute nightmare scenario. For someone like me who wants to hear unique creative voices. One monopolistic mega-franchise, that absorbs all media.

Absolute nightmare scenario. For someone like me who wants to hear unique creative voices. One monopolistic mega-franchise, that absorbs all media.

I just think this Amazon buying DC pipe dream is just that, a pipe dream.

Oops. No. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not proposing a single voice at the top, or a structured 'top-down' approach like Marvel. That's why I used the word 'multiverse'. There's room for as many unique voices as possible, just run by a company who knows how to get unique and new voices to customers, but who also has huge experience of delivery channels, and how to maximise them. Don't believe me? Go read about how successful the Kindle has been for writers.

Edit: or, to put it another way... you know how WB never get comic book writers involved in their comic book movies? Amazon wouldn’t do that.

I just think this Amazon buying DC pipe dream is just that, a pipe dream.

If the merger goes through? Almost certainly. If it falls apart? Don't kid yourself. They'd circle around Time Warner like a rich, fat, Jeff Bezos shaped vulture.

Last edited:
^Well, that's more like it. :up: I'm willing to give this approach a chance, assuming it happens.

If the merger falls through, I expect Comcast, Paramount, Amazon, and Netflix will all throw their names into the hat.

If the merger falls through, I expect Comcast, Paramount, Amazon, and Netflix will all throw their names into the hat.

If so, Amazon wins. They are the third most valuable company on Earth, having just sailed past Microsoft. Only Apple and Alphabet ahead. Comcast, Netflix and Paramount are minnows in comparison. Amazon could spend 4 billion on DC and it wouldn’t touch the sides.

Rupert Murdoch didn’t sell Fox to Disney because he was scared of Disney. He did it because he was terrified of Amazon. They all are in the media sphere at the moment.

Paramount is in worse shape, they're not going to buy anything.

Perfectly put. They have tried and failed to compete with Marvel, so stop trying to compete and blaze a new trail.

Or another way of rebooting the universe is starting from scratch completely:

- First film in the newly rebooted DCEU would be "The Batman" which of course would be an origin film for Bruce Wayne/Batman. However the villain for his origin will be Roman Sionis/Black Mask. While on Batman's crime escapades through his origin we will see him come across many villains such as Penguin, Killer Croc, etc. and of course we will see a younger Jim Gordon, Harvey Dent pre-Two Face and a young little girl who obviously will be Barbara Gordon.

- Post-credit scene would be: Batman prowling the rooftops as the Bat Signal goes off in the sky and we hear a mad cackle an iconic laugh going off...that's right none other than the Joker but of course we wouldn't see him. Builds the universe from there on.

^ Eh..I really wouldn't want another Batman Begins type movie.

Let Batman be in his second year and have him interact with Robin or something.

**** WB

They blew it with the DCEU. Give someone else a chance.

It'll be weird not seeing the WB logo before a DC movie though

It wouldn't be necessarily another Batman Begins type movie but it would be like Batman Begins meets Arkham kind of thing which is what I was going for for the first film

Also incorporated the art of the post credit scene to further build up the concept of the shared universe

But doing it in such a way that it doesn't seem forced or feel rushed

But obviously it would be built up

And then of course in my post-credit scene that I reiterated you don't see the villain for the sequel but you know who it is

And I was even going to include a 2nd post-credit scene there which would build up the DCEU well the newly rebooted DCEU which I would plan out if it were me doing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"