Ways to fix the DCEU

I would elaborate a bit: should they look at the prior movies, to see what failed? Sure, it will help inform how to do things better in the future.

However, should they try to "fix" the prior movies? No, because nothing can fix them. Those movies already happened, they already came out, their flaws and failures are permanent. Zero screen time should be spent trying to somehow undo this, to retroactively make them better, because such is impossible, and it will only hurt the current movie.

Which is to say, Flashpoint? Terrible idea, because everything they've hinted about it screams "This movie will make all the prior ones better!"

Good point, yes, definitely learn from mistakes. Don't do another JL Frankenstein because "We don't apologize"... no, you quietly make adjustments to the processes, but the core issue is moving forward.

I honestly didn't realize how poor an idea Flashpoint would be until you reminded me just now. Really, really bad idea.

Try to find guys like James Gunn, the Russos , taiko waititi to direct your films for once. Hungry directors with unique characteristics. Be smarter on your casting, how the hell does marvel nail every piece of casting they do ?

Make solo movies, at first, and just drop subtle hints about a shared universe. Oh and start all over again and do it right from the start. I would even sacrifice Wonder Woman, one franchise shouldn’t hold back the potential of having something huge like what marvel studios currently has. Suicide squad is irrelevant cause I believe the sequel will flop anyway.

If Warner is interested in a shared universe then they should start from scratch and not have one successful movie , Wonder Woman, hold them back. They are at a point where an ant man film will do better than justice league. They need to take extreme measures. Of course they can always abandon any thoughts about a shared universe and just release Batman and Wonder Woman movies from now on and be content with them and maybe down the line reboot Superman ,this time making sure every damn thing about a Superman reboot is perfect and the character can be as cool as captain America is on the MCU.

I can't see any way on Earth WB/DC will jettison Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman - as long as she wants to stay. You talk about Marvel nailing casting, WB/DC struck gold with her. If they're going to continue making Wonder Woman movies, getting rid of her and recasting on a hope and a prayer that they can strike gold twice is a really, really bad idea.

I can't see any way on Earth WB/DC will jettison Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman - as long as she wants to stay. You talk about Marvel nailing casting, WB/DC struck gold with her. If they're going to continue making Wonder Woman movies, getting rid of her and recasting on a hope and a prayer that they can strike gold twice is a really, really bad idea.
Because this version of Wonder Woman is stuck with this version of a shared universe. Again if WB is content with a successful Wonder Woman movie every 2-3 years (and it remains to be seen if WW 2 will be as successful as the first, I have my doubts) and a Batman movie here and there, that’s fine by me.

My opinion is a total reboot or go for a few solo movies without ambitions of ever coming close to what marvel has achieved (basically turning every b or c character into a big screen superstar).

Because this version of Wonder Woman is stuck with this version of a shared universe.

They can carry on with Gadot's Wonder Woman. They don't have to reference any other movies going forwards if they don't want to. They can have Wonder Woman films to all intents and purposes unconnected with anything else and still keep their star player.

They can carry on with Gadot's Wonder Woman. They don't have to reference any other movies going forwards if they don't want to. They can have Wonder Woman films to all intents and purposes unconnected with anything else and still keep their star player.
That’s exactly what I wrote. If warner’s plan is for a few solo WW and Batman movies then everything is fine. The shared universe plan , which if successful could provide Warner and dc with far more than WW and Batman, will be dead under these circumstances.

That’s exactly what I wrote. If warner’s plan is for a few solo WW and Batman movies then everything is fine. The shared universe plan , which if successful could provide Warner and dc with far more than WW and Batman, will be dead under these circumstances.

They'd be mad to get rid of Gadot, no matter which route they took. She's their biggest single success to date and will be a huge part of the draw for future WW films as long as she's happy to stay around. WB/DC aren't in a position where they can afford the luxury of recasting and just hoping they get another WW who captures the public's hearts in the same way.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I actually think Bay could turn in a good, crowd pleasing Lobo. I hate his Transformers movies (except the first one) but Pain & Gain is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I think a similar black comedy action take would be perfect for the Main Man.

That is the big one. The amount of rushing in this franchise is a real problem.

I think that’s the real difference between Bay and Zack; Bay knows to turn in a real crowd pleaser like his first TF and moments in some of the others like in Extinction when Prime rallies the Autobots with the Dinonots, something like that was what was needed for Superman’s return in JL, something in their darkest hour to rally behind.
For all Zacks great visuals he doesn’t seem to know when to just let the audience enjoy a good satisfying movie without overthinking things too much.
Just imagine if they did get Bay to finish the movie instead of Whedon.

Yeah he knows how to get an audience hyped.

Another interesting director the DCEU should definitely try to grab is Guillermo Del Toro or Alfonso Cuaron or Duncan Jones David Bowie's son he is a pretty damn good director as well that would be a great pick up for the DCEU especially going forward

Well Del Toro was attached to JLD at some point and WB has spoken to Cuaron about superman (according to Variety).
The problem isn't the availability of capable directors but rather those monkeys at WB allowing them the creative freedom to make good work.

As for Duncan Jones, well after his last 2 movies I'm not so sure I want him anywhere near DC characters.

Well Del Toro was attached to JLD at some point and WB has spoken to Cuaron about superman (according to Variety).
The problem isn't the availability of capable directors but rather those monkeys at WB allowing them the creative freedom to make good work.

As for Duncan Jones, well after his last 2 movies I'm not so sure I want him anywhere near DC characters.

Cuaron on Superman? What? He should've been the JL director.

1- Bringing on Flashpoint
2- Batman: Zero Year
3- Ending the Snyder experiment
4- Double down on Wonder Woman
5- Being patient lastly and foremost

Even a talented and well respected director might be wrong for a particular project. There are several fine directors that might be all wrong for Superman.

See: Ang Lee's Hulk.

JLD would have suited Del Toro as it's a fantasy horror type film and I think he've said he has an affinity for Swamp Thing

JLD would have suited Del Toro as it's a fantasy horror type film and I think he've said he has an affinity for Swamp Thing

Yeah, I would have loved to have seen his version of JLD.

The mcu casting is damn near bulletproof. Every character may not be written perfectly but the casting is hard to knock imo.

I would have Warner Bros brass stop meddling with the directors and then I would set up a super creative team comprising of directors, writers and producers to create a 10 year vision of the DCEU. People I would add to this creative task force would be the following.

Kevin Smith - He directed Flash a few times as far as the TV series goes and he is an avid super comic book fan. He knows his superheroes and villians.

Peter Jackson - He knows how to plot out huge event movies in a cohesive manner and he knows how to create both a light hearted/dark and serious tone, plus add in some humor. The 3rd Hobbit movie wasn’t great I know.

Guillermo Del Toro - Blade 2 was amazing. Hellboy was very entertaining and he has a very stylish, creative vision on top of that. I would suggest that you just look at the action sequences of Pacific Rim and he knows how to write characters.

The best path seems to be setting it up like the MCU by separate the universe into Phases that end with Justice League movies.

I would restart the DCEU. Man of Steel was a good start to the DCEU, but Batman v Superman could have been saved for later. I would have introduced at least Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, and Aquaman.

Then, in the Justice League movie, I would have introduced Cyborg with his mother box origin story. The new Justice League movie seems to going down a decent path with Steppenwolf as Darkseid's lieutenant hunting down three motherboxes. A Green Lantern tease would be cool.

Phase 2: I would have a wave of sequels for the aforementioned superheroes besides Cyborg. I would not have a Black Adam movie, but just a Shazam movie, and maybe a Green Lantern Corp movie with Hal and John. Man of Steel 2 could have some Batman, as well as introduce Supergirl and Brainiac. Throughout these movies, Lex Luthor would recruit the villains (not Brainiac) to the Legion of Doom.

Then for Justice League 2, I would have a power-hungry Lex Luthor, who is promised power by Darkseid, lead the Legion of Doom to take down the Justice League. At the end of the movie, Supergirl, Shazam, and the Lanterns would join the League.

Phase 3: I don't really know. Some original stories would be cool, but also stories like Court of Owls would be awesome. Bring in new charavters, potentially Martian Manhunter. Maybe have three-quels. Maybe have the Suicide Squad running quiet government operations, not huge metahuman events.

Justice League 3 would be like Avengers Infinity War. Darkseid is a God, and a roster of superheroes have to take him down. Maybe invite the Legion of Doom and other villains. Darkseid cannot and should not be nerfed. Kill Batman/send him back in time like in Final Crisis, kill a Lantern, kill some villains. It would be a huge event, potentially even two parts.

Phase 4: Battle for the Cowl, Blackest Night, Return of Bruce Wayne, Under the Red Hood, Endgame. So many possibilities. Crisis on Infinite Earths would be terrific to make Wally front and center instead of Barry.

As far as casting goes, I wouldn't change much because most casting decisions have been good. I would have an older, more sane Lex however.
Of course, I don't know how practical this would be since I am no filmmaker.

Guillermo Del Toro - Blade 2 was amazing. Hellboy was very entertaining and he has a very stylish, creative vision on top of that. I would suggest that you just look at the action sequences of Pacific Rim and he knows how to write characters.

My favourite of the series, by far :up:

Some original stories would be cool, but also stories like Court of Owls would be awesome.

Would love to see the Court of Owls appear in the DCEU. Provided the public take to them I think there could be a lot of mileage there.

Would love to see the Court of Owls appear in the DCEU. Provided the public take to them I think there could be a lot of mileage there.

Position The Court as a shady organisation representing corporate America, and Batman as the lone crusader trying to bring down the evil empire, and you’re golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back