The "I am SO SICK of all this talk about recasts/reboots/revamps/re-whatever!" thread

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
I know I 'm not alone. Post after post, thread after thread, "Reboot, reboot, reboot. Recast recast, recast." Like the only worthwhile interpretation of a story that's been told in perpetuity for 40+ years is yours.
This is how I see it. If the movie was a total flop-just straight crashed and burned, then perhaps a reboot is in order.
superman_returns_ver5-copy.jpg

Maybe. Maybe it can be rescued with some minor tweaking. Who knows? If the movie was just a complete bastardization of everything about the character and/or took a bizarre turn away from how the franchise started out,
Batman--Robin.gif
then I can see where they may need to start fresh.
If the actor either did not gel with the director, did not get into the character, got busted with drugs/a hooker/a dead body sometime after the movie wrapped, spoke ill of the project or was not well-received overall, then maybe they should be replaced. If the actor just doesn't want to come back & the show must go on,
Michael_Keaton_Batman-2.jpg
then they should be replaced.
If, however, the movie was a huge hit despite the incessant naysaying of whiny internet fanboys
x_men_13.jpg

whose expectations are based on a lifetime of reading comics religiously & are prone to get pissy over the slightest deviation from their preconceived notion of how the movie should be, this doesn't mean that they need to fire everybody, start over from scratch & just pretend that the last film never happened. Complain all you want about how they changed the costume or slightly altered the character's origin, (or wasted your time telling the origin since you feel like it should've gone straight into the action) how they should have gone with this actor over that one because this one-in your eyes-looks more like a particular artist's interpretation of the character than the person who the director hired, how your beloved favorite villain was underused/misused/killed off/whatever,
800px-Topher_Grace_Venom_unmasked.jpg

keep in mind that you are only doing so after giving them your money. (Unless you're doing it before the movie goes into production, which is even harder to get anyone to take seriously) No studio is going to ignore box office receipts over message board posts. Nor should they. These people are not swayed by the reviews of professional critics who are paid to give their opinions. They are really not going to throw away millions of dollars based on yours.
Either lay aside the script you've been writing in your head for the last 12 years & just try to enjoy the movie you're getting or leave it alone! You are not the only person who loves these characters, & many people do not share your views on what makes them cool. That doesn't mean you're wrong, it doesn't mean they're wrong-it's just a different point of view.

Last edited:
It depends.

For example, Superman 4 is a BAD BAD movie, but there could've easily been a Superman 5 because in comic books there is no reboot after one bad stories (imagine that, there would be 300 #1 issues). It didn't **** up the characters. But Superman Returns did that.

Same goes for Spider-Man 3. Not a movie I like, but they can go on with 4.

B&R is another subject.

In general it becomes problematic when they kill the villains. Never liked that.

You haven't really disagreed with me. I said "maybe a reboot is in order. Maybe. Maybe they can save it with some minor tweaking." The reason why it annoys me is that so many fans/posters have just come to painting all franchises with this brush of "just start over" because one or 2 things were done that they don't like.
And you make it sound like this "reboot" mentality hasn't infected comics. That's probably where all this madness originated from anyway.
250px-Spideychapterone-1.jpg

Spider-man_OMD.jpg

I know I 'm not alone. Post after post, thread after thread, "Reboot, reboot, reboot. Recast recast, recast." Like the only worthwhile interpretation of a story that's been told in perpetuity for 40+ years is yours.
This is how I see it. If the movie was a total flop-just straight crashed and burned, then perhaps a reboot is in order.
superman_returns_ver5-copy.jpg

Maybe. Maybe it can be rescued with some minor tweaking. Who knows? If the movie was just a complete bastardization of everything about the character and/or took a bizarre turn away from how the franchise started out,
Batman--Robin.gif
then I can see where they may need to start fresh.
If the actor either did not gel with the director, did not get into the character, got busted with drugs/a hooker/a dead body sometime after the movie wrapped, spoke ill of the project or was not well-received overall, then maybe they should be replaced. If the actor just doesn't want to come back & the show must go on,
Michael_Keaton_Batman-2.jpg
then they should be replaced.
If, however, the movie was a huge hit despite the incessant naysaying of whiny internet fanboys
x_men_13.jpg

whose expectations are based on a lifetime of reading comics religiously & are prone to get pissy over the slightest deviation from their preconceived notion of how the movie should be, this doesn't mean that they need to fire everybody, start over from scratch & just pretend that the last film never happened. Complain all you want about how they changed the costume or slightly altered the character's origin, (or wasted your time telling the origin since you feel like it should've gone straight into the action) how they should have gone with this actor over that one because this one-in your eyes-looks more like a particular artist's interpretation of the character than the person who the director hired, how your beloved favorite villain was underused/misused/killed off/whatever,
800px-Topher_Grace_Venom_unmasked.jpg

keep in mind that you are only doing so after giving them your money. (Unless you're doing it before the movie goes into production, which is even harder to get anyone to take seriously) No studio is going to ignore box office receipts over message board posts. Nor should they. These people are not swayed by the reviews of professional critics who are paid to give their opinions. They are really not going to throw away millions of dollars based on yours.
Either lay aside the script you've been writing in your head for the last 12 years & just try to enjoy the movie you're getting or leave it alone! You are not the only person who loves these characters, & many people do not share your views on what makes them cool. That doesn't mean you're wrong, it doesn't mean they're wrong-it's just a different point of view.

A-freaking-men my friend! :up:

You haven't really disagreed with me. I said "maybe a reboot is in order. Maybe. Maybe they can save it with some minor tweaking." The reason why it annoys me is that so many fans/posters have just come to painting all franchises with this brush of "just start over" because one or 2 things were done that they don't like.
And you make it sound like this "reboot" mentality hasn't infected comics. That's probably where all this madness originated from anyway.
250px-Spideychapterone-1.jpg

Spider-man_OMD.jpg

i totally agree,as for superman returns, there is no reason for a reboot, no reason what so ever. Everything in the movie was fine to me. The direction, the acting, the cinematography. Just because the story was the only thing that lacked doesnt mean you have to reboot and give the whole thing a new look. It means lets make a sequel with a better script period.

I feel u bru, but....these are Comic book strays dude, all that cryin and B.S. from the fans comes w/ the craft. Ever stood in a comic shop for 20 minutes, since I was 12 it's all I can do to not exit the store, grab a Louisville Slugger and re-enter swingin.

And that was BEFORE we even had comic book movies. Hell in '89 before the proliferation of D-bag phantom message boarders, we were jus happy as hell to have Batman on the screen. Now that Hollywood has realized that these franchises are multi-billion dollar enties, good luck w/ tryin to shut up the fans...and fans I use loosley since most don't have a clue pre X-Men the animated series.

SHH is great for somthings, but it's manifest of what's bad about Heroes and fans. Now CBF has more truer comic fans, and there are very few threads about movies period.

All you can do is laugh at the twirps man.

Agreed! Its like every little mistake that is made, there should atomatically be a reboot. Give it up already!

Depends on the series. The only remaining series I think needs a reboot is Superman. DD, SM, X-Men, etc can all be continued.

I`ll repeat it again I Think the audience for batman and Spider-man is big enough to have at least 2 franchise for each comics superhero. I say we get Nolan's batman and let say Ridley scott's Batman. For Spider-man Sam Riami & Michael Bay. This will end the reboot problem.

Is it just me, or does every one seem to be SO SICK about every thing?

...You started a thread to discuss your annoyance about "recasts/reboots/revamps/re-whatever..."

By *****ing about them, aren't you talking about them, and doesn't this thread kind of eat its own head?

...You started a thread to discuss your annoyance about "recasts/reboots/revamps/re-whatever..."

By *****ing about them, aren't you talking about them, and doesn't this thread kind of eat its own head?

I'm attacking the suggestion. I'm not promoting the suggestion.

Superman must have a reboot.

no thats what smallville was for, if i have to see the him growing up on the kent farm again im gonna throw a fit. Lets see Superman vs. Doomsday for crying out loud

Superman must have a reboot.

While this is one of the scant few cases where I think it's warranted-as I feel Singer capitalized on nothing that Donner did right & magnified everything Donner did wrong-I won't go as far as to say "must".

While this is one of the scant few cases where I think it's warranted-as I feel Singer capitalized on nothing that Donner did right & magnified everything Donner did wrong-I won't go as far as to say "must".

I personally think that Singer got the overall look right. And the characters were all good imo. Just the story was tooo boring and repetitive. All they need is a better script

I personally think that Singer got the overall look right. And the characters were all good imo. Just the story was tooo boring and repetitive. All they need is a better script

I hated the movie from beginning to end. I hated everything about it. I thought it was worse than the previous installments, worse than "Captain America", worse than "Batman & Robin". And I'm still not completely convinced that a reboot is the way to go.

I hated the movie from beginning to end. I hated everything about it. I thought it was worse than the previous installments, worse than "Captain America", worse than "Batman & Robin". And I'm still not completely convinced that a reboot is the way to go.

wow hahah you really have some hate if its worse then those two movies.

Superman needs a reboot. Singers mistake was NOT doing that. Also, the last 3 Superman movies have been awful. It's not like they're rebooting over "one little mistake." The entire franchise since part 2 has been a god damn trainwreck of epic porportions. You need to start over, do a brief origin (20 minutes of the film, at most) and then have Superman introduced to Luthor, and an actual villain that he can fight (parasite maybe?) to get the awful taste of Superman Returns out of peoples mouths.

Superman needs a reboot. Singers mistake was NOT doing that. Also, the last 3 Superman movies have been awful. It's not like they're rebooting over "one little mistake." The entire franchise since part 2 has been a god damn trainwreck of epic porportions. You need to start over, do a brief origin (20 minutes of the film, at most) and then have Superman introduced to Luthor, and an actual villain that he can fight (parasite maybe?) to get the awful taste of Superman Returns out of peoples mouths.

I agree. I enjoyed Superman Returns in parts but, on the whole, I just... didn't really get that much fulfillment out of it.

Also, I'd just like to point out that, by creating a thread condemning the idea of reboots and recasts... we've wound up discussing the benefits of reboots.

Hate to say I told you so...

I honestly just think a new villain would be good enough. I think Routh was great as superman and if directed well he could be even better. Again i thought the direction,cinematography was well done, i just wish the script was high quality and more complex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"