The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by eddy, Oct 22, 2012.

?

How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?

1. 500 Million

2. 550 Million

3. 600 Million

4. 650 Million

5. 700 Million

6. 750 Million

7. 800 Million

8. 850 Million

9. 900 Million

10. 950 Million

11. 1 Billion

12. 1.1 Billion

13. 1.2 Billion

14. 1.3 Billion

15. 1.4 Billion

16. 1.5 Billion

17. 500 Million

18. 550 Million

19. 600 Million

20. 650 Million

21. 700 Million

22. 750 Million

23. 800 Million

24. 850 Million

25. 900 Million

26. 950 Million

27. 1 Billion

28. 1.1 Billion

29. 1.2 Billion

30. 1.3 Billion

31. 1.4 Billion

32. 1.5 Billion

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blade X

Blade X Well-Known Member

AVENGERS had 5 action sequences. Loki vs SHIELD,Cap/Iron Man vs Loki, the Cap/Thor/Iron Man battle,the battle on the Helicarier (which was divided into 4 separate fight sequences),and the long huge Avengers vs Loki and the Chitauri final battle scene.

2. schiz0id

schiz0id Well-Known Member

Bryan Singer needs to redeem himself and erase the bitter taste of Superman Returns/Jack The Giant Slayer from recent memory.

3. schiz0id

schiz0id Well-Known Member

RDJ has had 2 Oscar nominations (Chaplin and Tropic Thunder) and 0 wins so far. So no he doesn't have an Oscar yet.

4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

It was the biggest risk I've seen an actor take in a long time, considering black face is banned in most forms of theater acting. Especially for a guy who had just salvaged his career.

5. Juicy J

Juicy J Well-Known Member

This is true. I always wondered why there wasn't more of an uproar about RDJ in blackface, when you had people getting their panties in a wad about Heimdall being portrayed by a black actor which is way less offensive. I guess it just goes to show that this country sometimes isn't as politically correct as I sometimes think.

6. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

It wasn't a matter of political correctness there; it was nerdrage at its finest. Plus, why does everything need to be politically correct?

7. Juicy J

I don't know if any of you read cracked.com, the humor website, but they had an interesting article today about how Superhero movies might be coming to an end. I certainly don't agree with it but it's an interesting read at the least.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_2040...ovies-are-bubble-that-will-soon-burst_p2.html
    Where did I say everything had to be politically correct? As a matter of fact I think PC in this country needs to be toned down immensely, but that's another discussion entirely. I was mentioning it as a good thing that people didn't get up in arms about RDJ in blackface - political correctness didn't take over, people generally had a good sense of humor about it and saw it's usefulness and place in that film, which I was pleasantly surprised with.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Agree with you there. Tropic Thunder is a good example of people locking up their PC-ness and just going for something funny without being completely over-the-top. Movie was more pointing out the absurdness of Hollywood and what actors will do for their careers than it was trying to make any grand racial commentary. One of my favorite comedies in the last decade.

9. Juicy J

Completely agree. A lot of my friends didn't like it, but I had a great time with it. Come to think I haven't seen it in about a year or so, I really oughta watch it sometime soon...

10. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

That's a pretty stupid article. Superhero movies have been around for over 30 years, and superheros themselves around since print media was invented. It's ingrained in the our culture. Will there be fluctuations in popularity? Yeah, probably. But will they end or the "bubble" pop? Extremely unlikely.

Also, superhero movies have been doing very successfully for over a decade now. When do they stop being a bubble and start being recognized as a form of media that any story can be told in? Every story is going to have a hero in it, superhero movies just provide more fantastical elements which suit spectacle on the big screen. Superhero films can't be categorized into one specific genre like, say, the Western. Several of the most successful and iconic films in history have been superhero films. Films that have been as successful as Marvel and DC films in the past have been cultivated into multi-decade, multi-generational franchises like James Bond and Star Wars, and indeed Batman and Superman already have been. That guy must not know what cultivating a franchise is.

11. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in Tropic Thunder was a tremendous risk and there were dire predictions at the time that it would cause a backlash against him from the general public. The thing about comedy is that it is often transgressive and challenging to cultural boundaries. Great comedies get away with breaking taboos because they do so in order to highlight the hypocrisy, hubris or failings of the characters or society in general. The audience is far savvier they're than given credit for by critics and commentators, and they got the joke and understood completely what Ben Stiller and Downey were doing and why.

Tropic Thunder was a great comedy of the same order as Blazing Saddles, in that both of them used racial stereotypes, politically incorrect dialogue and humor to satirize certain attitudes. The whole movie hilariously exposed the hypocrisy and hubris that infects Hollywood. Kirk Lazarus was a withering send-up of the egotistical Hollywood star who takes method acting to the extreme in a quest for perfection (and his sixth Oscar), just as Tugg Speedman was the perfect take-down of the action star who disastrously tries his hand at "serious" material. Downey's Black Like Me skin change and the actors' casually derogatory talk about the mentally disabled and gays were part and parcel of the satire, which is why there was so little outrage. In my opinion it is the best comedy of the current century.

12. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

****, that article even goes on to talk about how the studios start demanding more control and the bets stop paying off. Do they even realize that Marvel IS the one making their own movies and already have all the control? Not to mention that the situation Marvel is in with Disney is completely unprecedented in those historic anecdotes provided and the article completely ignores that. That article is half-assed. Just another shock article meant to grab views and be circulated. Which is a mission accomplished I guess.

13. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

I stopped reading the news and spec thread about 2 weeks ago. I now go in there and read a few posts and close the page. No way I'm sitting through 10 pages of BS.

14. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

The Heimdell stuff wasn't all nerdrage. Alot of it was neo-nazi groups angry about their 'whitest god of them all' being portrayed by a black actor. But I don't want to get into that too much here.

15. xeno000

Every page on the News & Spec thread is like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Chewy)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(cherokeesam)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(random sane passerby)
    [​IMG]

16. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

Its silly. People have been saying the general audience would get bored of SH movies since 2005*(and probably earlier) and look where we're at now. We have more SH films than ever before.

*that was a bad year for marvel movies, blech. Thanks alot Fox!

17. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

lol xeno, thats pretty accurate from the few posts I've gleamed at.

18. xeno000

Hollywood releases around 600 films per year. This year, five films of that total will be based on comic book superheroes, with five other CBMs of other genres mixed in (including Red 2, 2 Guns, Sin City, RIPD and the 300 spinoff). The most successful films of the genre make the biggest impact at the box office, but in terms of sheer numbers they are dwarfed by the great mass of films from other genres.

It could be argued that the relatively small number of superhero films made each year makes the ones that are great stand out more, just as the bad ones make more of a stink.

19. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

Superhero films are definitely in a boom now, we are less likely to get a truly terrible film (green lantern was definitely a straggler) than we were in the early part of the decade. The trade off is that they are in danger of feeling somewhat overdone in a couple of years, back then a superhero film felt special, now if you don't like something just wait a couple of years and it will be rebooted.

I hope video game adaptations are our version of comic book movies in the 90's it just takes one "raimi's spider-man" or "singer's x-men" it just takes one hit to really get hollywood on board the huge library of potential.

20. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

As a big gamer, God I hope not. The stories aren't worth it. The ones that are, are basically rip offs. Bio-Shock is the only one I could possibly see working on its own merits.

21. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

I'm happy with 4 to 6 major superhero movies every year.

I think it's just enough to meet demand (yes these movies are very much in demand) without saturating the market.

Plus it's the only times I go to the movies any more. My time is precious.

22. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I agree. The games I think of when thinking about good stories are almost all based on books or something like that. Games get away with more when it comes to story since they rely on giving an interactive experience. Books, films, comics etc are all pure storytelling mediums.

As for the whole risk of saturation with superhero movies I'll gladly take that risk. The MCU movies are this far the most rewatchable of all for me and it really helps how they are tied together. If they make me tired of such movies I've still gotten something great while it lasted and can move on to something else. There's hardly a shortage of stories and genres to show in movies.

23. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

Yeah I don't go the cinema nearly as much as I did 10 years ago. Tickets were so much cheaper back then. I used to go see a movie just cause I didn't have anything else to do on a friday night all the time. So far this year I've only seen Django Unchained, Warm Bodies, Spring Breakers, and Evil Dead.

24. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

haha, I haven't gone to the movies since Christmas Day when I saw Django.

25. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

Django is a great movie. If tickets weren't so expensive I would've seen it more than once in theathers but I just saw it again last week on redbox and it was just as funny as the first time I saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.