"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Aug 29, 2018.

1. TMP98

TMP98 Registered

Write-up out from the TIFF website:

"Shocking in its originality and intensity, Joker is a game changer for so-called comic book movies. Showcasing a fully immersed performance from Joaquin Phoenix and a new vision of world building, Todd Phillips' latest is an unsettling, exciting portrait of the villain we thought we knew.

Phillips and Scott Silver's original screenplay isn't an adaptation of any previous part of the DC Comics canon, though its reference points will reward fans. The setting is 1981 Gotham City, inspired by New York of the same era, so mythologized on film for its colour, crime, and corruption.

Arthur Fleck (Phoenix) ekes out a living as a clown, performing for tourists and children as he dreams of fame as a stand-up comedian like his hero, talk show host Murray Franklin (Robert De Niro). But people never do what Arthur wants them to do, his inner torment eats at him, and his ailing mother keeps harping on everything she is owed by her former employers, the Wayne family. Life is so ugly that you just have to laugh.

As Arthur descends into the unhinged killer he must become, Phoenix keeps us on edge as he reveals the soul of a man in crisis. A tentative romance with his neighbour Sophie (Zazie Beetz, also at the Festival in Lucy in the Sky and Seberg) grows more dangerous with each encounter.

Part of the pleasure of watching Joker stems from its technical brilliance. Its production design and cinematography capture the supersaturated grit of a rotting Gotham. Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver course quite recognizably through the film's veins. And Hildur Guðnadóttir's score contributes to the feverish effect. This movie is proof that even the most familiar can begin anew."

Screenings at the Festival Sept 9, 10 and 13

2. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Fantastic write-up right there. man, October 4th feels further and further away the more hyped we get.

3. Orb

Orb Lord of Demons

Snippets from TotalMag. Hopefully someone will post that whole thing when it comes out on the 23rd

4. Jekecy

Jekecy Registered

Another snippet...about a sequel?!
    [​IMG]

Rod, Rorschach2012 and Orb like this.
  5. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

^^ I'd love for this to happen. Chances are slim, but with this film likely to be a hit critically I'd say its very possible.

Rod likes this.
  6. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

May not be a sequel but some other project with him.

TMP98 likes this.
  7. Closerframe

Closerframe Registered

Keep this small and intimate. No need for a sequel.

TMP98 and Micromind like this.
  8. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

I do have trouble imagining how a sequel to this could work but who knows

9. TheGuy

TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

The sequel should have Batman as the villain. :oldrazz:

Rorschach2012 likes this.
  10. TMP98

TMP98 Registered

I think Phillips just means another film with Joaquin. As in WB would green-light another film from the two of them

Micromind likes this.
  11. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

^^ Starting interpret it that way myself

12. Jekecy

Jekecy Registered

We'll have to wait for the full article for context, but I don't see how one can interpret it that way.

Todd specifically mentioned Joaquin's willingness to "it" as if it were a specific project. Plus just any random movie doesn't rely on audiences going to see Joker, or Warners going to them asking about ideas.

13. TMP98

TMP98 Registered

WB has old school studio loyalty. Willing to do the "one for them, one for me" for creatives; if Joker's a big hit then they'll be willing to finance future, riskier dramas from the Joaq & Phillips

14. Pennywise

Pennywise Registered

Joaquin Phoenix reveals his hesitations over playing the Joker: "There was a lot of fear" | GamesRadar+

15. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Yeah, thats true I guess. Im wondering at what point a sequel would take place though. like how far into the future and such

16. Pennywise

Pennywise Registered

Would post the article from GamesRadar, but there is an s-bomb in the title.

super85, Rod and hellblazer103 like this.
  17. Closerframe

Closerframe Registered

I know we’ve heard from countless sources that this movie is going to redefine how we look at comic book movies and how they’re made, but Phoenix’s ongoing comments about why he took on this role after much deliberation is the most exciting part. We’ve gotten relatively close to a comic book style movie told at such a fundamentally human-level with Unbreakable and Split, but to see a villain’s perspective done in such a raw way that also plays on Western societies deeper issues both past and present is refreshing. If this is as good as everyone is making it out to be, I hope Phoenix stops here and lets the film become the classic it’s aiming to become. Movies like Taxi Driver, Requiem for a Dream, and The King of Comedy (underrated) didn’t need sequels, their messages spoke for themselves.

3rdstone, Gothamsknight and TMP98 like this.
  18. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

That's so silly. The hype is long overdue for a more lax policy on language. It's ridiculous. Part of me just thinks it remains in place so that C. Lee has something to get pissed about. /s :hrt:

19. Rod

Rod Registered

In hte snippet from TotalMag where Phoenix mentions about Joker's origins and how he wishes to keep the essence of it:

If the current leaked script is to be taken as legit, I'd say this is likely the part I consider got the best solution of it all. Possibly where most comic book fans, who were concerned and fearing about this point, will end up surprised with what they came up with, just like I was. It worked really really really well and I'm pretty sure what they did will let most very satisfied, too.

20. Hollis Mason

Hollis Mason Registered

21. Rod

Rod Registered

22. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

That is outstanding!

23. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Registered

Absolutely fantastic!

24. Hollis Mason

Hollis Mason Registered