• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

RED hair... not GREEN. These families would be better off writing a letter to McD's [let alone the NRA/the GOP].

I'm slightly red/green colorblind but even I recognized from the picture that it was orange.

Yeesh. Apparently the US Military is actually issuing warnings about this movie.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/u-s-military-issues-warning-to-troops-about-incel-viol-1838412331
lolwut? This movie has the most bizarre political attachment to it than anything I've ever seen. The way the media has been going after this movie, it's like they want something to happen.

The level of hysteria for this movie is beyond bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. The closest thing I can think of, is during Gamergate, people claiming that videogames were making people sexist and racist. But the military warning about a friggin movie? That is.....peculiar. This is "Satanic Panic" levels of hysteria.

I think people just wanna watch their movies and play their videgames. Weird.

People are not racist and sexist because the depictions in movies and games (or any other medium), movies and games depictions are racist/sexist because people are.

Man creates culture and not the other way around.

lolwut? This movie has the most bizarre political attachment to it than anything I've ever seen. The way the media has been going after this movie, it's like they want something to happen.

The level of hysteria for this movie is beyond bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. The closest thing I can think of, is during Gamergate, people claiming that videogames were making people sexist and racist. But the military warning about a friggin movie? That is.....peculiar. This is "Satanic Panic" levels of hysteria.

And the thing is, with reactions like these, they're only feeding into the fearmongering. They are unintentionally yet unecessarily making it more likely that some mentally disturbed folks are going to see this movie and repeat history, just because of the hysteria alone. None of this solves the problem, it only aggravates it.

Plus, not distinguishing fiction from reality even if said fiction has social commentary in it.

Yeah. I almost feel dirty for even suggesting this, but the way I've seen some people carrying on about how scary and dangerous this movie is, it's almost as if they want something to happen just so their point is proven. Nevermind the people who are trying to stir up controversy just so Joaquin Phoenix is taken out of the Oscar race (yeah, this is really a thing). Like you said, incredibly bizarre.

If people actually bothered to read through some of the reviews, they'd find that quite a few critics have bluntly said that the movie isn't nearly as dangerous as people fear it is, and that most of the Joker's actions are painted in an blatantly horrific fashion. The harshest criticism I've seen made by more critics than not is that the movie thinks it has something meaningful to say, but it doesn't.

Last edited:
The worst thing about it imo is that people with mental disorders will be frowned upon. Not because of the movie, but because the fearmongering campaign.

It sucks that it’s getting to the point that Directors out there will feel like they’re confined in a box and will be scare to something original that take risks. That’s the beauty of making movies, and video games.

That dance scene isn't nearly as majestic in the actual movie. It's more darkly hilarious (though still triumphant), if anything.

That dance scene isn't nearly as majestic in the actual movie. It's more darkly hilarious (though still triumphant), if anything.
And the song they use is so funny and not expected! I was a bit confused and at the same time surprised!

This movie really gets you out of your comfort zone which Is something I really wanted.

I'm kinda starting to like how controversial this movie is becoming. It means people will remember this film, which is more than many other CBMs out there. I think with all this talking about how dangerous this movie is, they're only making it even more popular. Kinda like those fake "if you see this video you die" creepypastas. If you tell people to don't watch something, you're only going to make them want to watch it more.

Couldd this be the next Clockwork Orange or Fight Club of our time?

I thought that Fight Club was the Fight Club of our time. I’m starting to feel old...

I really like the scene in the film. I really liked how joaquin Phoenix described the scene. He said when you see Joker dancing at normal speed he is all jerky and strange looking, and that's how the world sees him. But when it cuts to slow motion he suddenly looks majestic, and that's how the joker sees himself in his own head.

Despite the controversy you could feel the GA is really anticipating this movie. I dont know about you guys but i have regular non comic book loving people coming up to me going “ hey that Joker movie looks really good!” This movie could be a big thing.

It's premiering on the 3rd on here and I'm planning to take my best bud with me to see it. He loves the heck out of Heath Ledger's Joker and Joaquin Phoenix is one of his favorite actors, so that should be enough to convince him.

It's getting close! Tomorrow marks one week out.

Hoping to get a ticket tomorrow, but also holding out to see if a local IMAX theater near me will be showing the film. That way, I can see the film in glorious IMAX. Either way, will be seeing it next weekend.

It's America and the American media. This country is ****ed up and would prefer to harp on things like movies and video games, rather than actually addressing the deep-rooted issues within the country itself. It's so bizarre.

Tonight's the London premiere, isn't it?

All this fear mongering is doing is making people scared. seriously, this is BS and its disrespectful to the filmmakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"