The Last Great Movie You've Seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerhedd11

OHaiMark
Reaction score
This is obviously a spin off of the last terrible movie you've seen thread...
Now for this thread, when I say great, I don't just mean a good movie, but something great, almost perfect in all areas; something I feel is as rare to find as a truly awful movie.

My most recent great movie experiences:

Matchstick Men: Loved the direction(couldn't believe it was Ridley Scott) and was really invested in the relationship b/w Cage and Lohman. Also has one of the most unexpected and cruel twists I've seen in quite a while.

Black Swan: Horrifying, powerful and completely captivating.

A Serious Man: The acting and writing is top notch. Simultaneously depressing and hilarious.

Pi: Probably one of the best Sci fi movies I've ever seen.

Kick Ass

I know it's not 'great' in the sense of being emotionally or intelligently challenging. But it was absolutely perfect to me, and one of those rare times when staight after watching it, I could think of nothing more interesting to do that watch it again.

The King's Speech.
Great performances at the service of a very moving and powerful story.
It reminded me a little bit of Amadeus. Just great actors acting together in greatly written scenes. Good stuff (and pretty rare these days.)

Last edited:
This year's rerelease of Back to the Future. Why the hell do they not make movies like that anymore?

The last one I saw that was near-perfect was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I've seen Shutter Island, Gosford Park, and the Coens' True Grit since then and I'd probably consider those great too.

The King's Speech.
Great performances at the service of a very moving and powerful story.
It reminded me a little bit of Amadeus. Just great actors acting together in greatly written scenes. Good stuff (and pretty rare these days.)

I saw it this morning - amazing!

I finally got around to seeing the original Alien, and it was just as terrifying as everyone described. A movie that perfectly builds the tension, allowing the last half to just be an absolute nightmare on celluloid.

Not that that's a bad thing. I enjoyed it a lot. Just saying that's all.

Just watched The Outlaw Josey Wales again.

Last edited:
The last great movies I've seen are
Modern Times. A wonderfully hilarious film thats messages and themes still apply today.
Paths of Glory. Stanley Kubrick's underrated masterpiece, brilliant direction and acting.
True Grit. An excellent Coen Brothers film, the acting, music and cinematography are top notch.

Last edited:

Major spoilers.
Lily looks the way Nina wants to look, she acts the she wants to act, dances the way she wants to dance -- and is mostly a figment of her imagination. She even kills her imaginary Lily by literally hurting herself, ala Jack and Tyler Durden.

Maybe Fight Club has just set me up to think that everyone in a movie is a imaginary projected character in the protagonists head, but from the first scene I suspected that Lily wasn't real. The only thing that differentiates Jack/Tyler from Nina/Lily is that Nina was extrapolating from a real person.

Major spoilers.
Lily looks the way Nina wants to look, she acts the she wants to act, dances the way she wants to dance -- and is mostly a figment of her imagination. She even kills her imaginary Lily by literally hurting herself, ala Jack and Tyler Durden.

Maybe Fight Club has just set me up to think that everyone in a movie is a imaginary projected character in the protagonists head, but from the first scene I suspected that Lily wasn't real. The only thing that differentiates Jack/Tyler from Nina/Lily is that Nina was extrapolating from a real person.
I understand better what you mean now.

Are we talking the last great film you've seen for the first time? Or just the last time you've seen a film you consider great, regardless of the times you've seen it or the age of the movie?

if we are talking about the last great film full stop it would be either aliens and BttF because I just bought them on blu ray.

if we are talking about this year then that would be toy story.
I happen to think pixar is a hideously overrated studio with average movies like cars and finding nemo being LAUDED but I loved the heck out of toy story and have no problem with that movie picking up best picture but I doubt that will happen.

1947's Kiss of Death. Great Movie.
I wonder if Richard Widmark creepy, sadistic, laughing killer was partly based on the Joker? Probably not, but cool and scary character nonetheless.

The Social Network , This weekend I saw The Fighter and Black Swan a second time.

The latest for me.

The Thin Red Line - It's up there on my favorites from Malick.

On the Waterfront - Both Marlon Brando and Karl Malden delivered a great performances in this.

The Sound of Music. I never get sick of that movie.

Black Swan - One of the most terrifying experiences in film. It's been a long time since I was literally on edge for the entire runtime (probably since Funny Games) with a mixture of horror and astonishment.

Inception - Even on third viewing, an incredibly engaging film. Exciting, thoughtful, innovative, everything a great movie should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"