The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I'm just going to agree with everything Jamon says about this film. lol

I couldnt agree more with all of this, the epic journey from birth into being accepted on earth as their champion is just amazing, and all the little things in between really make the journey hard fought but totally worth it.

In this regard, I love the priest scene as well, the dialogue in it just perfect and then the switch from "Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith, the trust part comes later" to Superman floating in front of the army out in public in his suit for the 1st time is just amazing stuff. Stuff like this is why the movie is a lot cleverer than people give it credit for.

:up: preaching to the choir my friend. Man of Steel is honestly my favourite film ever, everytime I watch it I get something new from it. Its just such an amazing ride from start to finish.

Ah, the heartbeat, yes. Forgot about that sound specifically. It's all very effective stuff imo.

and I know I've said this before, but I just think it's so cool how the start of the DC universe is Superman's birth (the first major Superhero in our culture), and the first sound you hear is his heartbeat. That's just so fitting, and damn epic.

Tru dat !

:super:

:up:

I'm just going to agree with everything Jamon says about this film. lol

I have been telling you for years to listen me Spidey! :cwink:

:up: preaching to the choir my friend. Man of Steel is honestly my favourite film ever, everytime I watch it I get something new from it. Its just such an amazing ride from start to finish.

Same here, the same scenes get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up but at the same time I see new things every time I watch it that just make me love it more.

Here's a hypothetical type of question...IF Zod had located Kal-el on Earth during his teenage years, before Clark had gone through a majority of his development, do you guys think that zod would have been able to break through to the younger Clark and get him to see his way of things? Or do you guys think Clark would have still rejected Zod's offer?

Here's a hypothetical type of question...IF Zod had located Kal-el on Earth during his teenage years, before Clark had gone through a majority of his development, do you guys think that zod would have been able to break through to the younger Clark and get him to see his way of things? Or do you guys think Clark would have still rejected Zod's offer?

I like this question.

I think he'd have still rejected it the way it was presented but I don't think he'd have beaten Zod. The only way it would work with Clark as a teenager would be if Zod manipulated him but he was very direct and truthful in this interpretation.

Last edited:
^That would have been interesting to see, but the way it happened in the movie was just great, I actually think before the part in the dream sequence Zod tells the humans will be no more, Kal-El was warming a little to Zod.

Had Zod tried this on a teenage Clark things might have been different, I dont think he had the appreciation for mankind as a teen he did as an adult.

^That would have been interesting to see, but the way it happened in the movie was just great, I actually think before the part in the dream sequence Zod tells the humans will be no more, Kal-El was warming a little to Zod.

Had Zod tried this on a teenage Clark things might have been different, I dont think he had the appreciation for mankind as a teen he did as an adult.

Yeah I sensed he may have started to trust a little, or at the very least think he could talk to him. I think if there were any lingering doubts after, when Zod revealed he had killed Jor El that was it for Clark.

Yea I noticed that to....I also noticed Supes expression when Zod told him that he won't let anyone prevent him from carrying it out.....As soon as Zod turned around, Supes had this look like" Damn....now I gotta stop him"

It seemed that he became more distanced from humanity as time went on, when he was required to move around, not being able to maintain any strong ties/relationships, etc, so I think it was more tempting as an adult, if anything.

On the other hand, teens tend to be more sensitive about feeling different and he might have been subjected to bullying more often.

Hard to say.

Last edited:
Yeah I sensed he may have started to trust a little, or at the very least think he could talk to him. I think if there were any lingering doubts after, when Zod revealed he had killed Jor El that was it for Clark.

Yeah once he experienced the end of the dream sequence with all of the skulls, and then Zod revealing he killed Jor-El that was when Kal dismissed any notions of warming to Zod and knew he had to stop him.

:woot:

It seemed that he became more distanced from humanity as time went on, when he was required to move around, not being able to maintain any strong ties/relationships, etc, so I think it was more tempting as an adult, if anything.

On the other hand, teens tend to be more sensitive about feeling different and he might have been subjected to bullying more often.

Hard to say.

I think this is what may have turned him against humanity as a teenager.

Good question !

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion and suggest that Clark would never have gone along with Zod:

1) your DNA helps determine your personality, as the son of Jor El and Lara, who valued life so greatly (in Jor El's case, even human life, as he wanted Kal to be a bridge between two worlds). Jor El would not have consented to genocide, and he demonstrated that he was willing to fight and die for his principles.

2) From an early age Clark shows that he values the lives of others, eg the school bus rescue. His first instinct is to help other people, even at this early age, his morals have solidified, the aforementioned genetic predisposition towards moral behaviour, plus a loving upbringing from his human parents. People who thought Costner was a cold human father, I think they must have missed the part where Jonathan hugs Clark and affirms "You ARE my son." and the emotion in his voice.

As an adult, not a chance. What's his first instinct on the fishing boat, chuck in the job and go save some roughnecks ! And Lois Lane, hadn't even really met her yet, but as soon as he sees her in trouble it's robot crushing time.

3) Now, I think child Clark (the little kid with the out of control senses) might have been the most vulnerable to being swayed by Zod. But if it came to a choice between Zod and his mom, Clark would have always gone with Martha.

Ultimately, Clark/Kal makes the choice between humanity and Krypton, when he kills Zod - although Zod forced his hand.

What would be less clear "What if ? " is if Zod and the gang showed up and said "We're going to start a new Krypton on Mars. Come join us." Would Clark have stayed behind or left to join his people.

Because Zod forces the issue he takes away Clark/Kal's choice. Without that element, might Clark have re-thought who he more strongly identifies with ?

What also might have been interesting, is if Zod had shown up, and Clark had still not found the scout-ship. So Clark learns of his Kryptonian origins from Zod, instead of Jor El.

Anyway, it's all moot, because the way Snyder and co played it out was simply awesome - yeah, the skull field was a bit OTT, but hey, it's about a guy who flies and wears blue skintight spandex, so who cares.

I don't think he ever would have joined Zod either, but it's still interesting to see the degree of hesitation he shows with regards to whether or not he should trust and help humanity.

It seems like a part of Clark (the angry part of him) feels that humanity almost deserves this 24 hour period of fear before he goes and saves them.

Last edited:
I said this once a long time ago, but did you guys notice the part when CK is riding his bike, at the end of the movie, they make the tie flapping in the wind the focal point in that frame? It's like CK's tie represents Superman's cape, if that makes sense.

I said this once a long time ago, but did you guys notice the part when CK is riding his bike, at the end of the movie, they make the tie flapping in the wind the focal point in that frame? It's like CK's tie represents Superman's cape, if that makes sense.
Hmm...I did notice that, but I didn't see it that way. It's an interesting way to view it, KW, and I could see Snyder doing something visual like that.

In fact that brings me to something else I appreciated. Since I've watched MOS so many times I always find myself noticing something new. Just recently someone posted a pic from the movie where Adams is wearing a DP badge with what looks like a younger photo of her on the badge. It's a great little detail that shows how much care and effort Snyder and Co. put into the movie. Those sorts of details make a movie very re-watchable and MOS is infinitely re-watchable.

Also, I like how they took a different route when it came to the presentation of their final shot from the film.

Every Superman film before this one always ended with superman smiling at the camera while flying away in space...However this one, we do see him smiling, though not as Superman and not flying away. Here we see him smiling as Clark Kent and towards a person as opposed to the audience.

Also, I like how they took a different route when it came to the presentation of their final shot from the film.

Every Superman film before this one always ended with superman smiling at the camera while flying away in space...However this one, we do see him smiling, though not as Superman and not flying away. Here we see him smiling as Clark Kent and towards a person as opposed to the audience.

Yeah, they had to break away from that final shot - it was such an iconic part of the old Superman films. At least the movie ends with a smile...still don't know how people couldn't find it depressing at the end ! Humanity is saved from extinction, Clark's fulfilled the destiny both his fathers would have approved of, and he's finally found his place in the world.

I'm also glad they went away from Reeve's look for Clark Kent -Geoff Johns used it (well actually the artist used it ) in Secret Origins. In fact Superman in that comic is a lot like Superman in MOS, but looks like Chris Reeve. Good move having Cavill's Clark Kent dress like a regular person.
Looking forward to seeing more of him in the next film.

cheers!

Agreed...

Another thing that I wanted to ask everyone here is this.

Do you guys think "Man of Steel" is, in some ways, for Superman on what Tim Burton's "Batman" was for the character?

I mean when I think about it, there are some similarities between the two films.

While the lead up into "Man of Steel" was nowhere as big like the "Batmania" phenomenon that took place back then, there were nevertheless A LOT of HIGH EXPECTATIONS and enthusiasm for Snyder's film after the public/fans had been exposed to the film's trailers.

Another thing is that I think both films suffered from dividing quite a few people regarding their opinions about it, with critics from both films lamenting on how they thought that it was "too dark" in some areas for the two films.

Plus, in these films...they not only had their main antagonists (Joker and Zod) be responsible for the deaths of their respective fathers, but they also had the heroes kill off their respective villains which led to much criticism.

Any thoughts?

Agreed...

Do you guys think "Man of Steel" is, in some ways, for Superman on what Tim Burton's "Batman" was for the character?

I mean when I think about it, there are some similarities between the two films.

While the lead up into "Man of Steel" was nowhere as big like the "Batmania" phenomenon that took place back then, there were nevertheless A LOT of HIGH EXPECTATIONS and enthusiasm for Snyder's film after the public/fans had been exposed to the film's trailers.

Another thing is that I think both films suffered from dividing quite a few people regarding their opinions about it, with critics from both films lamenting on how they thought that it was "too dark" in some areas for the two films.

Plus, in these films...they not only had their main antagonists (Joker and Zod) be responsible for the deaths of their respective fathers, but they also had the heroes kill off their respective villains which led to much criticism.

Any thoughts?

That's an interesting question, Herolee. I have to admit I don't remember a lot of controversy surrounding Burton's Batman. I was in middle school, so I really just remember loving the film. In hindsight, I can see why there was controversy. People probably were comparing it to the fun-loving Adam West movie and series, and it was nothing like that. One controversy I do remember among Batman fans is most were upset because the Joker was the same person who shot Bruce's parents, and they didn't like that because it went against canon. They also didn't like the fact Bats "killed" him at the end, but again I was too young to remember it being more than just nitpicks and gripes.

Honestly, I didn't really know there was a lot of high expectations for MOS. In comparison to the fervor for SR, people were excited there was a new film, but I don't remember people being as excited as that. Speaking only for myself, I was a bit fatigued and put-off with WB after the failure of SR. I had very low expectations for MOS, and I imagine anyone who was in my boat felt the same.

That's an interesting question, Herolee. I have to admit I don't remember a lot of controversy surrounding Burton's Batman. I was in middle school, so I really just remember loving the film. In hindsight, I can see why there was controversy. People probably were comparing it to the fun-loving Adam West movie and series, and it was nothing like that. One controversy I do remember among Batman fans is most were upset because the Joker was the same person who shot Bruce's parents, and they didn't like that because it went against canon. They also didn't like the fact Bats "killed" him at the end, but again I was too young to remember it being more than just nitpicks and gripes.

Honestly, I didn't really know there was a lot of high expectations for MOS. In comparison to the fervor for SR, people were excited there was a new film, but I don't remember people being as excited as that. Speaking only for myself, I was a bit fatigued and put-off with WB after the failure of SR. I had very low expectations for MOS, and I imagine anyone who was in my boat felt the same.

I think in both situations are different bat-fans were upset cause the joker had nothing to do with Bruce's parents. while in the comics Zod and Jor-el were friends and its more obvious that Zod could have done that instead of the joker that existed way after that scenario.
And another thing I don't see the same is that Batman in 89's film killed for revenge and Superman didn't do it for revenge. It was because there was nothing else to do and to save the family and the world from Zod. And the after-incident we saw two different scenarios while Batman didn't feel anything, Superman was devastaded.
I can also point that the reaction from Zod's course in SMII was far away more hard cause we saw superman smiling after he takes on a powerless Zod.

Last edited:
Agreed...

Any thoughts?

Personally, I see MOS as more of the Batman Begins of Superman.
The Superman films that preceded it had run the character into the ground
- I have NO idea how Superman returns got a better critical response than MOS, just shows how influential the original SMTM was, it's like it's greatness coloured everyone's perception of Superman films, and what they should be like.
In the same way Schumacher's interpretation had destroyed the credibility of Batman onscreen, The Quest for Peace, and Superman returns had ruined Superman's movie mojo.

Batman Begins restored Batman's mojo. MOS was incredibly divisive, but I suspect that division is more reflected in the critical response ( and critics aren't necessarily fans). I haven't spoken to any who are real Superman fans who didn't like MOS - they may prefer the Donner films, but none of them thought that MOS got Superman wrong.

I was 18, I think when Burton's Batman came out, I remember the people criticizing it's dark feel were certainly in the vast minority. People really embraced the most serious tone, and I think that made Nolan's revival effort with BB much easier.

Maybe if Bryan Singer's Superman returns had been an action packed epic, with a slightly darker tone than Quest for Peace.....instead of the insipid, boring piece of **** that it was, then MOS would have had an easier time appealing to the wider public. Apologies to those of you who liked SR,
it's just IMO, but I nearly walked out of that film.

Peace out Super-fans ! :super:

Personally, I see MOS as more of the Batman Begins of Superman.
The Superman films that preceded it had run the character into the ground
- I have NO idea how Superman returns got a better critical response than MOS, just shows how influential the original SMTM was, it's like it's greatness coloured everyone's perception of Superman films, and what they should be like.
In the same way Schumacher's interpretation had destroyed the credibility of Batman onscreen, The Quest for Peace, and Superman returns had ruined Superman's movie mojo.

Batman Begins restored Batman's mojo. MOS was incredibly divisive, but I suspect that division is more reflected in the critical response ( and critics aren't necessarily fans). I haven't spoken to any who are real Superman fans who didn't like MOS - they may prefer the Donner films, but none of them thought that MOS got Superman wrong.

I was 18, I think when Burton's Batman came out, I remember the people criticizing it's dark feel were certainly in the vast minority. People really embraced the most serious tone, and I think that made Nolan's revival effort with BB much easier.

Maybe if Bryan Singer's Superman returns had been an action packed epic, with a slightly darker tone than Quest for Peace.....instead of the insipid, boring piece of **** that it was, then MOS would have had an easier time appealing to the wider public. Apologies to those of you who liked SR,
it's just IMO, but I nearly walked out of that film.

Peace out Super-fans ! :super:

One thing I'm sure made it so divisive was because this wasn't the Chris Reeve Superman the critics had loved and unlike Batman we had never gotten to move on from the popular past incarnation (in Batman's case Adam West). The critics loved Superman Returns so much I believe because they fell in love with the Nostalgia of it all. So when they saw Man of Steel and it was a different Superman, I think that threw them for a loop. You see with Batman it crashed ad burned with B&R yet with Superman while the last Chris Reeve film sucked he didn't and the love never faded for him.Superman Returns didn't help when it was done as a love letter to Donner's version.

So I really think it was down to a case of having never moved on. I think there needed to be a different take before Man of Steel say in the 90s for critics to look at this more objectively.

Also it's a Sci-Fi film and these tend to divide opinion. Its a really strange genre. You can also add to this alot if critics don't like Snyder.

Jamon knows his stuff.:word:

Yes I do :cwink:.

One thing I'm sure made it so divisive was because this wasn't the Chris Reeve Superman the critics had loved and unlike Batman we had never gotten to move on from the popular past incarnation (in Batman's case Adam West). The critics loved Superman Returns so much I believe because they fell in love with the Nostalgia of it all. So when they saw Man of Steel and it was a different Superman, I think that threw them for a loop. You see with Batman it crashed ad burned with B&R yet with Superman while the last Chris Reeve film sucked he didn't and the love never faded for him.Superman Returns didn't help when it was done as a love letter to Donner's version.

So I really think it was down to a case of having never moved on. I think there needed to be a different take before Man of Steel say in the 90s for critics to look at this more objectively.

Also it's a Sci-Fi film and these tend to divide opinion. Its a really strange genre. You can also add to this alot if critics don't like Snyder.

Agree with this, even reading reviews of critics I normally like i found myself questioning them. Often I would read lines like, 'but its not light like Donners Superman,' or other such things, it was compared to the previous movies in every regard which was unfair. Empire even called the movie not very faithful to the comics. Now I normally like Empire, but MOS was probably the most comic book faithful Superman movie yet, and this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of SR.

Some of the comments in these reviews literally lead me to believe these people didnt know what they were talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"