The Lone Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember we were discussing this at one point in the Hobbit thread. :lmao:

Haha yes I have harped on this quite a bit. I still can't believe it got into the film. Its the bat nipples of the hobbit trilogy for me. Everytime I see it I wanna dunk that nasty hippie in the Anduin.

wvde6q.jpg

P7kBfQ8.jpg

There was some cool new footage of the big train sequence in the TV spot. :up:

the train scene looks like it was described in 2012. amazing.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103125

there is a prophecy. that some day a man will come and direct a train scene. it will be one of the biggest action set pieces. i think Gore Verbinski was born to direct this. :woot:

i dont care if this bombs. i will pay to watch this on the big screen. oh yeah

The train sequence does indeed look cool. I'm mainly looking foward to Hammer's performance The Lone Ranger.

I'll watch this on the big screen.

Yeah, sorry, I can't get past the dead bird on Depp's head.

Is there any evidence that Native Americans ever wore dead birds on their heads?

It looked more intriguing than the last trailer, so that's improvement for me.

Is there any evidence that Native Americans ever wore dead birds on their heads?

Idk. Its entirely possible a crazy indian might have done that. Modern humans wear crazy **** that is outside the norm of the culture. An unbalanced indian might go one step further than the typical leather and buffalo hide and slap a bird on his head. Depps character seems like a medicine man which could explain some of his weirdness.

This character is meant to be odd the bird is a bit heavy handed but honestly who cares. I don't even notice the bird anymore. Its just a part of the character at this point.

Last edited:

No there isn't, his whole look is based on caricaturized fantasy paintings of Native Americans - http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=23022763&postcount=767

The dead bird on his head, and more the prosthetic nose to make the white guy claiming Native ancestry look supposedly "more Indian" are I agree hard to get past. (read as completely offensive, and still on the level of hollywood style minstrel blackface)

Though if you can "get past that", the Trailer still looks fun.
Just take it for the awesome fantasy the Lone Ranger and Tonto are and ignore any pretense of authenticity by the outrageous Depp and some fans.

Last edited:
The painting is authentic, but the bird is not on his head, it's just flying behind him. That was a common misconception that Depp decided to play off in his look for Tonto.

It's funny to me that the only people who seem "offended" by Depp in this movie are non-Natives.

I'm so excited for this movie. I used to watch the Clayton Moore series every morning as a little kid dressed up as a cowboy, and ride on my rocking horse. I remember when the Klinton Spillsbury movie, which was awful, but I loved it as a kid watching it, so I it's a bit of a guilty pleasure to watch. However Clayton Moore was the Lone Ranger, in a way that few actors embody the character.

I really hope this movie is a huge hit!

There's an international trailer that shows a bit more footage (shows more humor as well)

[YT]gaR5v-VoS78[/YT]

I, for one, am looking forward to this film. I think it looks like it's going to be a fun ride - like the first PotC movie was. :)

I'll probably check it out just to see what they put together for it. My dad is a massive Ranger fan so of course I'll be seeing it at some point.

There's an international trailer that shows a bit more footage (shows more humor as well)

[YT]gaR5v-VoS78[/YT]

I, for one, am looking forward to this film. I think it looks like it's going to be a fun ride - like the first PotC movie was. :)

the opening of this international trailer is extremely funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"