The Look of the Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think they shouldn't look exactly like turtles. Somewhere between the cartoon versions and real turtles would be ideal. Not like this:

Soulswinter.jpg

They don't need to be that grounded.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles.jpg

This design, with a few modifications, would be ideal.

It's like they were setting themselves up for failure by doing this. By selling the rights to Nickolodeon, there's no doubt the target audience will always, in the long run, be children. Maybe they would've been better off with Disney; Disney owns Marvel and they are doing a FANTASTIC job so far (*cough* Avengers).

Even more irony is that it seems Eastman and Laird don't mind that Bay is changing the origins of the Turtles. They said the idea of a Turtle planet was exciting (not a direct quote of course, but something to that effect). Why the heck would anyone, especially creators that have made characters and a story like this so original, farce or not, be okay with someone butchering their creation like Bay is? Especially when their fanbase is so immense and loyal! I don't get it. :doh:

Actually, Laird bought all of Eastman's share of the turtles, and was VERY STRICT in their portrayal ( He hated the 87 toon, that's why he supervised the 2003 toon and based it more on Mirage). He was the one who sold it to Nick ( for about 30 million), because he siad he was tired of dealing with the turtles. Eastman seems to like everything, that's why he was on board with the female turtle Venus, and supported Bay's changes. Laird didn't like what Bay was doing to the turtles, and stated it on his blog about the leaked script.

^ Wow, didn't know that. So Laird and Eastman aren't on the same page. Interesting.

Wow, that sure isn't creepy at all. :dry:

:up: :up:

Laird has been on record since 1993 (after the Turtles 3 movie and a decline in the 87 toon) that he would not allow anything else to be done with "his turtles" unless he was directly involved. In one interview, he said that very few people (including fans) knew what he and Eastman had created and he was kind of a dick about it.

Eastman seems to be little more than a money ****e and is trying to cash in on everything he can!

Laird has been on record since 1993 (after the Turtles 3 movie and a decline in the 87 toon) that he would not allow anything else to be done with "his turtles" unless he was directly involved. In one interview, he said that very few people (including fans) knew what he and Eastman had created and he was kind of a dick about it.

Eastman seems to be little more than a money ****e and is trying to cash in on everything he can!

What's so crazy is,Laird has been so funny acting about the turtles portrayal, but Mirage's Volume 4 of TMNT had to be the worst volume in my opinion, and it was written by him. Things likes
April being a magical drawing coming to life, Michealangelo playing Baby daddy to an alien dinosaur princess, Donatello shrinking, Splinter dying, and the Utroms and other aliens living publicly in society along with super heros
Just ridiculous. Tristan Jones definately redeem the ridiculousness of Mirage's last volume with his writing on " Tales of the TMNT ". His run was incredible.

Isn't it a shame when other people write your character better than you can?

I'm also wondering why having a japanese guy bossing around a black guy was racist.

A Japanese guy with a black voice actor nonetheless. Although from what I recall of the cartoon, 87 Stockman was a lot more nebbish than 03 Stockman. 03 may have gotten bossed around, but he still asserted himself and showed competence as a villain in his own right.

I definitely want them to look more like turtles, because the last few incarnations look like frogs with shells.

A version of the slider turtle would look awesome. They have amazing detail and it would give the turtles a very unique tribal look. It would also make a lot of sense that they would look like the because they are the most common turtle kept as pets.
red-earedsliderturtleimage.jpg

A version of the sea turtle would also be great because of the scales and their menacing face structure. You cannot convince me that this turtle doesn't look like Raph.

disapproving-sea-turtle-26824-1272906566-15.jpg

As long as they are the same species and are GREEN, I'll be satisfied with either of these.

How can I not convince you he doesn't look like Raph?

header.jpg

That's no sea turtle.

The Turtles need to look, first and foremost, like the TMNT. All the redesigns that make them look more like turtles anatomically but with a belt and a Japanese weapon just look like upright turtles with ninja weapons. They look like the earlier, ultimately rejected designs of Eastman and Laird. Those are hilarious to look at, but they simply are not the TMNT. The above is what TMNT are and should look like.

How can I not convince you he doesn't look like Raph?

header.jpg

That's no sea turtle.

The Turtles need to look, first and foremost, like the TMNT. All the redesigns that make them look more like turtles anatomically but with a belt and a Japanese weapon just look like upright turtles with ninja weapons. They look like the earlier, ultimately rejected designs of Eastman and Laird. Those are hilarious to look at, but they simply are not the TMNT. The above is what TMNT are and should look like.

If you are suggesting that I'm saying that they should look exactly like the turtles I've posted, then you have missed my point. I want the TMNT to look like themselves. What I'm saying is that they should have realistic features of the turtles they evolve from be they slider, sea turtle or otherwise.

For ex:
313_large.jpg

This design is based off of the slider turtle. He still looks like a ninja turtle, but you can still see turtle features. If the Turtles are lack turtle features, then they will just end up looking more like frogs again
mms-frog-face-707x346.jpg
and it was in fact joked about in the second episode of the new TMNT animated series. Frogs are more sleek and spotty (which the TMNT have been designed to look like for the last few years), but actual turtles have reptilian features. As for the sea turtle looking like Raph, I didn't mean literally in every way. That sea turtle looks like a badass and it reminds me of him, so I'm still not convinced that the turtle doesn't look like Raph.

The picture you posted is the basic design for Raph, though it lacks detail. This is why I have provided suggestions for details with actual turtles. If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd love to see them.

Kinda makes sense though. Leo always came off as being more into Bushido than Ninjitsu.

Very Samurai-ish, no?

Yeah, here's what the guy said...

Oct 16 -

Okay, so let me preface this by saying im not a TMNT fan. Well I guess I mean i’m not a fanboy. I never grew up on this property as a child, so I have no particular love for it. Honestly, I find the premise a little over the top; teenage mutants I can do (clearly), but the turtle aspect is just completely odd to me.

Anyway, because I’m currently working on the new animated tv show on nickelodeon, i’ve grown to have a very particular view of these characters. How i’d like to treat them. Clearly something like this nickelodeon would never go for, so I would never have a venue to realize my rendition with my work on the show, but I decided to just figure them out on my own and draw them anway.

I guess the first thing I wanted to accomplish, is because I find the turtles being ninja aspect so over the top I wanted to make my versions super serious to help counteract it. My version would have little to none of the staples that most fans love about the property. Again, I really don’t see the appeal all the other turtles fans do, so im just going completely left field on this.

I also wanted to make them more of a cross section look at Asian fighting in general, rather than just ninjas. Clearly I tried to get Leo to be more of a Samurai character; very serious, very methodical, not very fast, but incredibly precise. I also toyed with the idea that he only speaks in japanese, which I might stick with. The only character I’m going to keep as a ninja is mikey. My donnie is going to be a Sumo type mixed with a tech genius.

I’ll post these when I can as I work on them as a break from my regular Turtles Job haha.

I can't see how he would think TMNT was over the top, when we have a scientist who turns into a raging green monster with unlimited strength when he's angry, a multi-billionaire who uses high-tech gadgets and dresses like a bat to single-handly fight crime, And a group of sentinent robots from a metallic planet that can change into anything from vehicles,to animals.

^ Better than nothing I suppose. ;) Idk, I'll always be a fan of the classic look. Even if the "eventual" new film showcases them in all red bandanas as the first volume of comic books did, I'd be down.

Yeah... all red bandana's, Raph complaining to Splinter that his brothers look too much like him, so Splinter goes to find the other three colors

Or just do it like in the IDW comics. Raph is gone and they all use red because its his favorite color and they're searching for him. Then Splinter gives them the different colored bandanas. Like a nice nod to the original all-red turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"