The Mandalorian The Mandalorian: General Thread

You'd think the Imperials would know who he is.

Unless there's a reason he's playing Judge Dredd about it.

Unless there's a reason he's playing Judge Dredd about it.

Well, up until Clone wars and Rebels, it was rare to see Mandos depicted Helmet off. personally, I LOVE the "faceless" thing going on. Pedro has so much personality with body movements/ head tilts I can deal with him never taking the helmet off.

Have they said that he never takes his helmet off? I hope that he does. It’s hard to connect to a character when you never see his face. I know people will say, “But Darth Vader...” but the problem with that argument is that the only connection you really make to Vader is “he’s a badass” or “he’s cool.” You don’t really get emotionally invested in him. Maybe a little bit at the end of ROTJ but it’s still hard to care about the guy until you finally see his face. It works with a villain but I think for a hero, you need to see his face eventually to care what happens to him.

Finding ways for superheroes to remove their masks is a trope I’ve always been tired of and before this show was announced, my wish was for a Fett movie to be something similar to the 2012 Dredd movie where he’s kicking ass and taking names(bounties).

I think Dredd and V are two characters who’s movie characters are similar to Bobas and neither of those characters were any less bad ass or engaging for not having seen either Karl Urban or Hugo Weaving’s faces. Plus, it’s “only” Pedro Pascal, it’s not like he’s a top A-lister who’s face you HAVE to see.

Yeah, but he’s a handsome fella!

Regardless, I do agree that it’s dumb how some movies constantly find reasons for superheroes to constantly remove their masks. But I think it gets into ridiculous territory when they NEVER do it. Unless you never plan on showing these characters at home or in a situation where wearing a mask is completely unnecessary, it just feels a little silly to me.

Unless there's a reason he's playing Judge Dredd about it
Of course there are reasons.
Why would you assume it's just about identity?
There is likely tactical advantages, sensors, detectors, readouts etc in the helmet.
Not to mention protection, against melee weapons, blasters, fire, explosions, gas, etc...
As well as pure intimidation.
Finding ways for superheroes to remove their masks is a trope I’ve always been tired of
He's not a superhero, and this isn't just a mask.

Have they said that he never takes his helmet off?
No, not sure why those two are making that assumption.
He is however wearing it (other than behind the scenes dressing) in every scene shown so far.
So we can assume he does wear it allot (which is fine by me).
I imagine they will want to establish a sort of cold, mysterious, impersonal, hunter first. And have that carry much of the intro and set up of the character.
Then save the inevitable helmet removal for further down the line more humanizing scene(s), so the impact is more powerful.

Last edited:
Can they officially release the trailer already!

Can they officially release the trailer already!
They are kind of in a damned if they do, damned if the don't position.
They did a favor for the con attendees, and to create buzz, yet now what is out there is blurry, shaky, slanted, poorly cropped, and horrible sound footage. So the fans complain.
Yet if they release it proper, the fx aren't finished (it was just a tease for the con), so the fans will pick it apart, and scrutinize and complain about every detail, and say it looks like crap. Before they've even had a chance to finish.

He's not a superhero, and this isn't just a mask.

Thanks for clearing that up for anyone in here confused. What a great line in my entire response to remove all the context to just to quote and respond to:funny:

I agree.

Even if he does, I imagine it will be when he's by himself and those scenes probably won't last long.

^Yup, this is exactly what I want.

There are scenes in Goblin Slayer where he does take off his helmet and armor, but his full face is always obscured.

Or like Dredd 3D. We never see his whole face even when his mask is off.

It reminds me of the old EU Boba Fett stories. This is back when he was still Jaster Mereel. Whenever he was alone he'd take off his helmet, but he always made sure to have it on when someone came into the room or to speak with him. He didn't like to be seen without his helmet or armor.

Also, I'm not saying this is the route they go, but I will have all the more respect for Favreau, Pascal, Filoni, etc. if they do.

IMHO its not about being a superhero. It's about how they want to maintain a level of mystique and intrigue for the character.

Also, it's about creating a character who can get the full characterization and performance across despite wearing a helmet the whole, masking his face, eyes, and emotions, since those are usually crucial tools for an actor's performance. Based on what's been shown, I think Pascal is pulling that off in spades.

Also, Mando might have specific reasons for always having his helmet on. It lets us the viewers fill in the blanks in this case rather than the story spoonfeeding us everything.

Right. A fantastic actor like Pascal with these great directors will never have a viewer in doubt as to what his emotions will ever be.

I’ve already used Dredd and V as examples of how overrated needing to show an actor’s face is. Especially for a show like this.

The spirit of the show seems to be the idea of how Boba Fett in his first appearance in Empire Strikes Back captured the fandom's imagination.

So it's kind of like making a show about that type of character, but just not Boba Fett in this case.

Also, Mando being a new character means Favreau and Filoni won't have to be hindered by existing canon and what happened to Boba Fett in the past. They can create their own new character from scratch and give him his own backstory from scratch, or build him from the ground up.

Last edited:
I do wonder if we will get any surprising cameos. Filoni is really good at giving fans cameos/tidbits from current canon/EU.

So hyped for this show!

Looks very promising, the first Star Wars thing I have super hyped about in a long, long time, oh before you were born.

Not sure if I will get to see it for sometime yet but fingers crossed its worth waiting for.

The spirit of the show seems to be the idea of how Boba Fett in his first appearance in Empire Strikes Back captured the fandom's imagination.

So it's kind of like making a show about that type of character, but just not Boba Fett in this case.

Also, Mando being a new character means Favreau and Filoni won't have to be hindered by existing canon and what happened to Boba Fett in the past. They can create their own new character from scratch and give him his own backstory from scratch, or build him from the ground up.
That is the best way to go. New character and nothing to tire him down. I do wonder if we will see the Mando without his helmet though.

By not taking the helmet off and revealing too much about him they can avoid Lucas' mistakes with Fett in the prequels. He laid out a great example of what not to do with this.

When is better Call saul coming back? I need more Gus.

I disagree. We the viewers should know his name, but characters on the show shouldn't.

Look, I won't lose it if we find out his name or see his face at some point, but I think it would be cool.

Just for example, Goblin Slayer, a show I love, none of the characters have names. The creator just calls the characters by their race and job title. Goblin Slayer is simply Goblin Slayer. His companions are High Elf Archer, Lizard Priest, Priestess, Etc. The show has sort of a tabletop D&D theme, so it kind of goes along with that.

But Goblin Slayer is this cool armored character. We never get a fully unobscured look at his face. He's rarely seen without his helmet or armor. IMHO it can work. You just have to be committed to the idea and embrace the mystique and intrigue of that character and make it a thing.

Master Chief? Same thing. I mean yeah we know a lot about Master Chief's name and backstory, but his identity is sort of connected to his armor and helmet. We only get that brief shot of Master Chief's face without the helmet I think in what was it? Halo 4?

Judge Dredd is never seen without his helmet in the comics. Or if his helmet is off, his face is obscured. That's how we and the fans like it and not Stallone's mug.

My point is that it can work and it can be good to have a character like that.

What I like about this is, is that it looks for the first time to make the SW look a little less black and white and is adding a few more layers of grey to the universe, the world is collapsing and people are out to just survive anyway how, you dont know who to trust, not here is the "good guys" and here are the "bad guys" now lets fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"