The MSJ Discussion and Praise

glassdemon said:
Did the GhostRider director also do Daredevil? DD was such a let down

i thought it was ok...not great as it had problems. however i thought the director's cut was much better. i saw alot of potentional in DD...which is a good sign for Mark.
thing that ive noticed about MSJ is his willingness to listen. he comes on to this site (probably others too) to gauge what worked and what didnt. he admitted that there were some problems w/ Daredevil and to me that is a sign that he is willing to try and avoid repeating those problems in the future.
also keep in mind this is not being rushed....they have until June to stop filming and then probably almost a whole year for post-production. this and in addition he has a really good quality crew working under him i can say it looks good for GR.

as far as taking photos...i dont think they mind too much. its common knowledge that most people will have small portable cameras on their person...if they really wanted a closed set they would have roped the entire area off or even fenced it in to avoid pics being taken. if i were MSJ i would actually welcome pics being taken....although it have to be limited of course. let the fans take pics of the sets, burned out cars ect...this will just help build hype for the film. now if you were taking pics of MSJ or Nic on the toilet than yeah id be PO'd at that point :D

But great work Speds on talking to the man himself! that in itself is quite an accomplishment. not a big deal on the name dropping thing...but i would be interesting to hear what his reaction would be if someone here was mentioned...Flamehead, MarvelMovies, Me...heh. maybe someone else will get a chance to ask or you might get a chance to see again. good work though :up:

my beef with the photos was simply the one of the crew ID tags.
even though it is cool to see behind the scenes stuff like that, i can see an adverse effect happening because of it's posting.
anyway, it's been posted now so there's no point in me whinging and harping on about it, hey? :)
as my grandma often says though, "it's all good."
ole`! :)

Abe said:
my beef with the photos was simply the one of the crew ID tags.

yeah...i can see the point in that. its pretty easy to copy those things..unless there is something else on the back for ID purposes.

Abe said:
yeah, that being said though i don't think he'd appreciate all the photos being posted online. not to bag the guy who took this one inparticular, but the photo of the crew ID tags was a bit much i thought.
not only does it look bad on security for letting a photographer slip in to take the shot, but what if someone replicated it in order to get on the set?
it's stuff like that which COULD lead to a domino effect. in the end MSJ authorises a complete lockdown of the sets and no unauthorised people are allowed anywhere near them.
this is something i particularly don't want to see. i'm very happy with what i've seen from the sidelines so far. i'd hate to have to "move along" away from the sets during shooting, because of online photos and (in particular), my "side-line set reports" i post on the main screen.
i'd feel a GREAT shame if it came to that.

Lockdown of sets in public areas are almost impossible. Unless they are in a studio somewhere. No, most directors accept that fans, people will wander around take photos, talk with other people on set etc. Just part of public spectacles, it won't effect the sets prior to filming, unless some crazed fan is eating Mcdonalds and wandering around just as Nicholas Cage does a wheely up little Lonsdale chasing badguys. Usually sets are lockdown when they film.

The fan presence is subtlety encouraged, such good free PR, why would the studio or the director deny it? I have seen set people talking to people who pass by etc. Plus it's smack bang in the middle of the motorcycle district of the Melb CBD. From work, I walk pass, and sometimes through the sets when I have to go to another office.

Have no fear, I reakon they are all having a blast with this one. Fun for all.

it certainly seems like they are having a ball.
lucky people. man, i wish i was part of the crew working on this film!!!!

Wow! It's awesome that you got to chat with MSJ speds. Too bad you didn't get the chance to ask him a few questions about the flick. I probably wouldn't have been able to answer them anyway. It's strange that he was intrigued by the internet. I mean, he chats here and knows how serious some of us about the character. He's talked directly to some of us (which is why I agree with Biggun that he'd probably recognize some of our online names). He knows how things thing works and I'm sure he's been on the boards, perhaps just reading, since he's been in australia.

Abigor & Gerswill eh? Perhaps they're the other names of Demons, to go with Wallow. Could be.

As for the pictures and set reports and people on set... it's all part of the game. Like somebody said, it's free promotion and all movies like/need free promotion.... or any promotion that they can get.

talking about promotion of this film, when's the Ghost Rider game coming out?
i absolutely SUCK at video games, but i still buy the ones i hang for. like The Punisher hasn't even come out here in Oz yet, and i want it so bad!
and this Ghost Rider video game? gimme gimme gimme!!!!! :)

Abe said:
talking about promotion of this film, when's the Ghost Rider game coming out?
i absolutely SUCK at video games, but i still buy the ones i hang for. like The Punisher hasn't even come out here in Oz yet, and i want it so bad!
and this Ghost Rider video game? gimme gimme gimme!!!!! :)

i want that game too....im thinking they will probably release it shortly after the film opens. maybe w/in a month of the film's opening. it will have to be before Christmas 2006 im sure.
man i cant wait to play that sucker. think im gonna have to start re-organizing my sound system and TV before it comes out. wanna experience the thing in full blown surround sound :p

BIGGUN said:
man i cant wait to play that sucker. think im gonna have to start re-organizing my sound system and TV before it comes out. wanna experience the thing in full blown surround sound :p

I'm already prepared, my den is setup with bigscreen and an awesome surround sound. All I need now is Captain Kirks captain chair. :D

Does anyone have any thoughts on what game system it will come out on. I'm thinking "Sony" Playstation as opposed to x-box or gamecube since Sony is doing the movie. I'm assuming Sony studios and Sony game division are under the same company umbrela. I hope its on the next generation game system as well, like Playstation 3. That way we'll have the most current technology powering the game experience.

Comic book games usually come out on a couple systems.

RedIsNotBlue said:
Comic book games usually come out on a couple systems.

yup...they wanna make the most money out of it im sure.
does anyone know when the Playstation 3 is supposed to come out? heard it was supposed to come out this year but was pushed back.

The Daredevil guy directed this. We know how that one turned out. Aren't you worried this is gonna be just as rushed as that movie?

Oh, and can someone post a picture of Blackheart and Caretaker? I haven't seen those guys in the comics before. Then again, Im not that familiar with the Ghostrider character :yellow:

I may be in the minority here, but I thought Daredevil was OK. Not brilliant, but OK. And Mark Steven Johnson seems to me to be a pretty capable guy who really wants to make a faithful, satisfying film. Did you catch some of his comments on the boards? I found them reassuring. He said the Hellcycle was the coolest thing he'd ever seen and he was right.

As for Ghost Rider being rushed, it's not due til over a year from now and they seem to have almost finished filming, in Australia anyway. That should give them a fair old amount of time to do all the effects and post-production stuff. Spare a thought for the X-Men fans; next summer's X3 has just had a dramatic quick-change of director and filming still hasn't started!

:)

K-Pax, your concerns are warranted, yet I want to draw your attention to the Director's Cut for Daredevil. This, in my mind, should alleviate your concerns for Ghost Rider.
From what i've seen on the sets of this movie, it's going to be fabulous. Very dark, and hard-core in it's content (similar to LOTR's content), and most importantly, character-based.
Believe you me, marvel studios are very mindful of the fact DD isn't loved by the film-going public, so steps have been taken to not repeat the mistakes.
Stick around here also, as GR is being spoken about come July 14 at the San Diego Comic Con, so we should have some material to discuss at length.
Fun fun fun! :)

Also, Mr Nick, add me to the list of DD lovers. I have one of the billy clubs used in the film I love the movie that much.
The Director's Cut also, whew! Real good stuff!

Thank God, I'm not the only one!!

Yes, must watch the DD Director's Cut.

:daredevil

Call me crazy, but I even liked the theatretical cut a lot. The Director's Cut even more.

i hope it turns out good. to make anyone else feel better the guy that directed taxi is directing fantastic four and that looks pretty good.

and daredevil was still a success nonetheless

I'm concerned for one, but he's got over a year in post to finish this movie. So he doesn't have any excuses this time. That is unless executives and Gary Foster decide to intervene.

K-pax said:
The Daredevil guy directed this. We know how that one turned out.

It's my favorite comic book movie to date, I wish other superhero films were as good as :daredevil was.

So no, not worried at all.

TheVileOne said:
I'm concerned for one, but he's got over a year in post to finish this movie. So he doesn't have any excuses this time. That is unless executives and Gary Foster decide to intervene.

well to me you need look no further than Rothman for faults with DD

Who is Rothman? I always thought it was Gary Foster who screwed up DD, in turns of the editing and what-not.
Gary's involved in Ghost Rider also, as he was at the QnA session here in Melbourne, in November. Apart from him, MSJ has mostly a new crew working with him, to which I trust fully to produce a fantastic film.

Abe said:
Who is Rothman? I always thought it was Gary Foster who screwed up DD, in turns of the editing and what-not.
Gary's involved in Ghost Rider also, as he was at the QnA session here in Melbourne, in November. Apart from him, MSJ has mostly a new crew working with him, to which I trust fully to produce a fantastic film.

rothman is Fox's main man in these situations,he has a list of crimes as long as your arm and he is the guy that forced MSJ and Foster to mek it more like spiderman,i doubt MSJ would still be working with him if he was to blame

As long as the coke-head execs stay far away, and let the actual creative people make their movie, then things will be fine, I believe.

I liked Daredevil, LOVED the DC. The only beef I had with DD was the shoddy CGI work, and with as much time as GR has to get that right, I see no reason to worry.

Hopefully MSJ will be somewhat redeemed, and we'll have a kick-ass Ghost Rider movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"