The New Ultimate DC RPG: Sign-Up/OOC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will actually do awards this time, so I should have those up by tomorrow. In the meantime, thanks for the nods for Selina. When I started that little venture, I honestly didn't think I had the chops for it. I just knew from watching the first UDC that probably no one else would go for it, so I felt compelled to do it, and I'm glad I did. :yay:

Best Hero: Batman

As if Batman doesn't receive numerous accolades from fans across the globe already, but this version of Batman, what MB has done with him? I've loved every bit of it since his inception. Bruce's age, his back-story, his fallibility - it's all been great. But his take on Bruce Wayne isn't the only thing I've loved - what MB has done to the Batman mythos and his supporting cast is also quite entertaining. Changing up the story of Alfred, Bruce's parents, Oracle, and how he received his fortune? It's all been such a fresh re-envisioning that keeps the legend from getting stale and rehashed. Nice job, MB - I have truly been impressed and I cannot wait to see where you take Bruce next. :up:

Best Villain: This was tough - I mean, really tough. Nearly all season, the 'major' villains have been NPC threats like Sta'rro, Salvatore Maroni, William Hand and the Joker (on and off), but within the last week, the work of the three NPC villains in this RPG has been astonishing. As I read these last 2-3 pages (including the montage), I got the feeling that these characters had been stewing - sitting in wait all season, just waiting for their chance to let loose and unleash. And, in reality, I suppose that's exactly what happened. Keep in mind, this award was so tough to chose, but ultimately, I've got to give it to Spike for Bane.

The battle between Bane and Batman over the last few pages has been so grand and enthralling. I literally hit the refresh button for minutes on a few days, impatiently waiting to see the next post in this epic fight. Spike's Bane has shown how his quest for vengeance against Batman has been escalating all season until he finally got his chance to make his presence known. Well done - I look forward to Bane's future in Gotham and his next encounter with the Bat.

Best 'Walking The Line': Edward Nygma - Byrd Man.

Byrd's done such a great job with Nygma. For a while, this season, I was trying to make my mind up about him. Is he a good guy or is he evil? Are his positive traits enough to redeem him for his selfish, often, unscrupulous decisions? In this last two or three months, I believe I finally figured it out - Nygma is not a villain, nor is he a hero - he truly walks the line, a line he has drawn in the sand - specially made to fit his description of himself and what his ethics are. He's played every character that’s come in close proximity to him, manipulating them and forcing them to do his bidding in fiendish and underhanded ways. Edward truly is an enigma - well done, Byrd.

Best "Ultimized" Character: Commissioner James Gordon – Catman_prb

Loveable Jim Gordon. The good cop who’s stuck in the worst city in the world, trying to fight for what’s right, against all odds – even against the system he works for. At least, that’s the version we’re all used to, but not the version this Ultimate DC RPG has given us. Catman has done a wonderful job with his interpretation of Gordon – changing his personality and ideology to fit a darker and grimmer tone. Jim Gordon is now a man with a mission to rid crime any way he sees fit, to manipulate the system to work for him, and to take out anyone who’s dumb enough to get in his way. Catman’s allowed this version of Jim to almost form an empire of his own within the Gotham City Police – putting a target on the backs of his own cops who try to challenge him. I’ve loved working with Cats when I got the chance, but I’ve loved the interaction Gordon’s had with other characters even more. Jim Gordon’s faced Black Mask, he’s faced Holiday, and now it appears he’s about to face death. Hats off commissioner, it’s been one crazy year.

Best Character Development: I’m going to give this award to Eddie’s Catwoman (or, at least, soon to be) aka Selina Kyle … or Andrea Beaumont … or Holly Robinson. Anyway, where he’s taken her this season – the things he’s put her through – it’s all been impressive. She’s shifted through identities, escaped precarious situations, and been marked for death by some very scary people. Through it all, it’s amazing she’s made it this far. But, I guess it’s true what they say about cats having 9 lives. Lucky for us, she’s still got a few to spare – and she’ll need them if she’s going to continuing living in Gotham.

Best Story Arc: Sta'rro. Everyone involved did a great job chronicling the invasion of one of DC Comics most notoriable villains. From the beginning to the end, I was constantly guessing what was going to happen next. Plus, it was great seeing all the heroes team up in a big way for the first time in this RPG. Looking forward to the JLA.

Best Post: Montage Part II

The whole montage was amazing, but the second part really hit me and made me want to find out what's going to happen next. [BLACKOUT]The mob discovering Falcone's inevitable return, Wonder Woman finding her lover's throat slashed, Harvey at the bedside of his scarred and deformed wife, Batman questioning himself and his ethics, and Lex Luthor, in all his grandeur, taking hold of his destiny ... and the world. Amazing. :up:[/BLACKOUT]

MVP (Most Valuable Player): Byrd Man. Why? The man wrote up a detailed file on the criminal underworld in this RPG. He's made 421 posts this season, and all his team ups and solo arcs have been entertaining to read.

Last edited:
Best Hero: Batman (Batman)
I keep thinking to myself "nah, MB's gonna get a ton of nominations for this, even though he types out a novel's worth of text. He doesn't need my nod too. Give this one to the Flash or the Atom, who are equally deserving." But, dammit, MB suckered me into his trap of Ultimate Batman. Seeing the character at his highs (beating on a giant monster in Metropolis and doing his part to stop Sta'rro) and lows (his very first post in the IC thread, letting Bane escape, and his very last post in the IC thread) are all so enthralling that MB deserves this, even if my eyes need a break after reading his stuff. :argh:

Best Villain: Lex Luthor (Andy C.)
All season long I was anticipating when the s**t would finally hit the fan with the story that Andy came up with for our characters, so there might be some bias in this, but taking over the world while forcing his two most hated enemies to watch helplessly?

Damn, son. Even if I weren't involved in that storyarc, credit where credit is due. :wow:

Best 'Walking The Line': Superboy/Lor-Zod (Bounce)
Even though I've gone on record numerous times about how overrated I think General Zod is, and how hesitant I was about having a Superboy so soon in Superman's career, Lor's character quickly became very appealing to me and adds a whole new possible angle to Superman's views of Krypton. The little bastard has just the right amount of arrogance and innocence that you just don't know which way the kid will turn. One second he's talking about how humans don't deserve to be saved, the next moment he's napping in front of the TV with his dog. And strangely enough, it's all believable!

Best "Ultimized" Character: Wonder Woman (Andy C.)
Like the "Best Hero" category, this was really friggin' tough to decide. Two very close runners up were the Atom and Nygma, but I had to go with Andy's Diana in the end. She's recognizable as being Wondy, but with just the right kind of twists on her character and origin to be new and fresh to read while still maintaining who she should be. Revealing that she knows Bruce Wayne is sure to be great for future stories, and the death of Steve Trevor was actually the closest I've ever come to shedding tears while reading an IC post in any game.

Best Character Development: Edward Nygma (Byrd Man)
Seeing Nygma transform from this generally sleazy guy at the beginning of the game, but not really evil per se, into the sick monster he is now was freakin' nuts! We buy into his rationalization of even the sickest of his actions, and this is a very sick man. We come to understand him more and more as the season goes on, realizing just how f**ked up he is, and how f**ked up he's always been, as we catch him fantasizing about teenage Barbara Gordon, chopping up a body and dumping it, and finally killing Sal and torching Dent's house. Nygma's character progression was never boring (and it helps that Byrd's posts are always quick and to the point, just the way I like 'em :up:).

Best Story Arc: Sta'rro/The Formation of the Justice League
Took freakin' long enough. :cmad:

Best Post: B**ch, please.

MVP (Most Valuable Player): Byrd.
I mean, Jesus Christ, do I even need to get into why he should get this one?

Best Fight: Batman vs. Bane as the Wedding Goes Bats**t Crazy (Eddie, Byrd, and MB will hereby share this nomination)
Yeah, I'm adding this category. Not because I was involved in it or because a lot of other games' award seasons have/had it, but because I honestly think it was the most intense and thrilling battle of the season. I think the pacing and interactions were tight and fun to read, as I've actually gone back and read through that scene several times since we wrote it (all right, so there is a bit of me tooting my own horn there, but I honestly would have given this scene its own award even if I weren't playing Bane). With these two crazy martial artists flipping around rooftops and going apes**t against one another as stuff's blowing up around them, what's not to love?

Plus, it was without a doubt the most fun I've had writing a fight scene since the Parasite's big climactic showdown with Superman in World of Heroes, way back in the day. And that's saying something.

Last edited:
Damn. I forgot all about that one for Best Post.

Meh, well. Byrd got enough of my praise.

Thanks for the nods, guys. :up:

Best Hero: The Flash (Byrd Man)

This one was really tough, as I aaallllmost gave it to Batman or Spike, but Byrd needs to be commended for creating a version of an iconic hero that A: isn't another mirthless "dark and gritty" take, and B: never ceases to be fun to read. He honestly feels like he should be the lead of his own animated series. Normally I'm sort of 'meh' when people pitch the idea of a Flash cartoon, but if it was Ultimate Flash? I'd totally be down for it.

Best Villain:
Bane (Spike_x1)

Spike's love for a character that most people throw out as a one-note monster really shows through, as he's able to take a villain that the average writer wouldn't touch for at least two or three seasons and brings him to the forefront, every bit as much an evil mastermind as he is a brutal badass. In all honesty, Ultimate Bane is even more of a fitting arch-enemy for Batman than the Joker is at the moment. Runner-up is, funnily enough, Johnny Blaze's Joker.

Best 'Walking The Line': Jim Gordon (Catman_prb)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it really bugs me that Jim Gordon is a crook in this game. However, there's no denying that Catman took the concept and ran with it. Love him or hate him, it's always intriguing to read. Very close second goes to Byrd's Nygma.

Best "Ultimized" Character: Jason Todd (Syn)

Jason Todd is usually crap. He's pretty much everyone's least favorite Robin, his resurrection was a jumbled mess, and just about everything done with him since isn't much better. In UDC, however, Syn's take on Jason is extremely engaging, and the Red Hood's interactions with the other vigilantes of the city is always a treat. Runner-up is Bounce's Superboy.

Best Character Development: Edward Nygma (Byrd Man)

Byrd's portrayal of the (eventual [?]) Riddler is quite possibly the most perfect personification of the old Nietzche quote "if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Since the very start he's been a creep, but watching him crawl further and further into the filth and just start wallowing in it has been a fascinating read. Runner-up is Eddie Brock's Selina Kyle.

Best Story Arc: Superman and the Flash vs. Maxima

This one was a while ago, but it was a really entertaining read. It didn't drag on and devolve into a total cluster-hump like the JLA/Sta'rro stuff did, but still got some good interaction between two big-name heroes. More importantly, it was a nice reminder that there are in fact things in the UDC universe outside of Gotham City. Runner-up is the Holiday/"White Christmas" murder-mystery arc.

Best Post: The finale montage.
There have been plenty of great moments in the game, but I think the finale was a great reminder of why all of us come here in the first place: to try new ideas, to play around with characters that we'd dream of writing for real, but mostly, to tell a really ****ing good story. Everyone on board brought their A-game, and I absolutely cannot wait for Season 2.

Runner-up is a toss-up between Gordon killing Black Mask, and the Question writing Batman fan-fiction.

MVP (Most Valuable Player): Batman

UDC has always been MB's baby, and UDCv2 especially. While he doesn't post quite as often as, say......everyone else, his in-character work always shows just how much he cares about this game, and his brainstorming sessions for coming up with new plots are always a fantastic sounding board for new ideas. Close runner-up is Byrd for his usual Byrdness, as well as putting the kickass montage together.

Last edited:
Hey gang sorry I didn't get into the Montage post. Reality trumps RPG 10 times out of 10. that being said if I had the chance to post in the montage: The Atom finds out Mac is dead and she automatically knows Waller is behind it. Giganta is watching Superman die and is recording the bio-data and as she does this she considers using this info for her benefit. But ike I said i had a situation come up last night that required my attention.

Okay onto the awards:

Best Hero: The Flash.
Byrd Man has taken a character that could be very one demensional and snarky and made him a lot of fun to read. He doesn't do a tome when it comes to posting, but he says what needs to be said in a fun and entertaining way and advances a storyline along.

Best Villain: Bane
SpikeX1 has really taken this character and made him into a threat to Batman. He has really ladi down a good foundation for this character to grow. When I read his posts I think, "This guy is a smart driven S-O-B and could really beat the crap out of Batman."

Best 'Walking The Line': Edward Nygma.
I wasn't sure what to make of this character when he first started out, but when I read his postings I can't look away from them. Good Stuff.

Best "Ultimized" Character: Wonder Woman.
I have had the pleasure of enteracting with both of Andy C's Characters, and this is one is my favorite. She is strong without being threatening. She sees herself as an equal without it feeling she is forcing the issue on anyone. It's a fine line to walk and he walks it with the greatest of ease.

Best Character Development: Superboy.
Doing the give and take with Bounce was a lot of fun for me. He comes off as a spoiled brat but underneath that is the heart of a hero that is developing at a good pace.

Best Story Arc: Batman Vs. Bane.
This was a brief give and take and had been building to a breaking point all season. It was worth the wait! The give and take/ back & forth between the characters...if I was going to write a book on how to do RPGing...their arc would be the example I would cite.

Best Post: #1676
Batman & Harvey Dent come together. Sets everything beautifully for a friendship that will one day end in great tragedy. We all know the outcome eventually but the way it is set up makes for interesting reading.

MVP (Most Valuable Player):Batman.
The heart and soul of this RPG without him this RPG is D-O-A.

Last edited:
Best Hero: The Flash (Byrd Man)

It would be too easy to give this to MB, and his Batman - while technically a hero - isn't really the first thing I think of when I hear the word "hero." In this modern age of gritty realism, Byrd has managed to keep the Silver Age spirit alive without making the Flash feel dated. The Flash has teamed up with pretty much every fledgling hero in our universe, and he's always maintained an air of casual optimism and humor.

Best Villain: Lex Luthor (Andy C.)

It was hard not giving this to Spike for Bane, but Andy C. deserves to be commended for constructing his plan and having the patience to follow through with it. While the rest of us were running around, being active, Les was waiting. While the world around him flew by, Lex never tipped his hand. And then, in the final moments of the Season, his sadism is revealed in all its glory.

Best 'Walking The Line': Red Hood (Syn_(Mercenary))

Maybe "Walking the Line" is a little bit harsh for Red Hood at this point in his career, but of the three categories it's the one in which he fits the best. In a world where there's no Nightwing, Red Hood almost fills that role -as an independent character, an ally of Batman who's closely-tied to the Bat-Family. It will interesting to see how the differences between Batman and Red Hood will come between them as time goes on.

Best "Ultimized" Character: Jim Gordon (Catman_prb)

I don't know that any of us could've known what Cats was planning when he set out with the Commish. It did, however, quickly become quite clear that he was not going to be the same good-hearted everyman that we're used to. As the Season has gone on, his methods have become more questionable. He's made a lot of enemies, but those on top usually do.

Best Character Development: Eddie Nygma (Byrd Man)

I had the pleasure of working with Byrd's Nygma quite often over the course of the Season, so I had the benefit of watching his character evolve over time. Nygma starts out as a paranoid man with nothing to lose until he decides to start seizing the opportunities to get ahead in life. His mission for survival transforms into a mission for dominance, and - like Gordon - Gotham has slowly began to suck away any goodness inside him. I don't when or how he'll become one of Batman's most infamous rogues, but I can tell it won't be anticlimactic.

Best Story Arc: Batman tells Jason Todd the truth about the Joker. (Batman, Syn_(Mercenary))

This back-and-forth between MB and Syn really illustrated how alike Batman and Red Hood are. They have a mutual trust, one which was almost threatened by Jason's paranoia and Batman's secrecy. Seeing them go toe-to-toe and seeing how each is able to make the other question himself was a good teaser for future interactions, whether they're friends or foes.

Best Post: http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=17160552&postcount=10

It was only the 10th post of the first Season, and it marked the first appearance of Ultimate Batman. MB set the tone for the RPG early on by introducing Batman not in a moment of triumph but instead a moment of defeat. The chilling juxtaposition of Phillip Wayne's speech and a battered and beaten Batman, the introduction of Oracle (in my opinion, one of the most brilliant strokes of genius in the RPG), Batman's lingering doubts about his mission...10 posts in, and we should've already known we were in for a wild ride.

MVP (Most Valuable Player): Batman

I honestly could've flipped a coin for this one, but Byrd Man is the MVP in damn near every other RPG, so I figured MB should get this one. If he were any bigger part of UDC, we'd have to make a goat-revering religion in his honor. He is simply the Creator, the Designer, the Master Planner, Big Brother, you name it. Don't think for one second that something's going on in this game that he doesn't know about in some form. Scared yet? Well, don't be. His ideas are fantastic, and I know my characters wouldn't be nearly as well developed if I hadn't been able to brainstorm with MB.

Best Hero: Bart Allen / The Flash (Byrd Man)
Quite frankly, Byrd makes me laugh with this character and that makes him stand out over all the rest. Bart is totally convincing as a hero, but Byrd just does this amazing job of crafting this really awkward teen as a hero. I read the posts to see what Flash is doing and how he's going to save the day, but really I'm reading the posts to see how Flash is going to embarrass himself next. Its probably not the best measure, but I thinks its a very unique (and extremely rare) writer who can be both the realistic hero and the comedy relief at the same time.

Best Villain: Bane (Spike_x1)
I want to say upfront that I had an extremely difficult time picking between Spike's Bane and Andy's Lex Luthor. Both are in a league of their own. The arc with Maroni and the wedding is what pushed me over the edge here. In general, combat-heavy posts are a turn off to me. I prefer the Lex Luthor "let's think about this" type of post. And that is what makes Spike stand out here. He can write post after post of Bane taking out goons and fighting Batman... and I'm hanging on every word in those posts.

Best 'Walking The Line': Edward Nygma (Byrd Man)
In general when I do these things I try to not nominate the same person multiple times so that other people can get recognized, but Byrd is just not a writer you can ignore no matter who it is that he is writing. Nygma is this fantastic character who isn't a hero and he isn't a villain. You just don't know what he is. And that is the very definition of this category.

Best "Ultimized" Character:
Rhiannon Palmer / The Atom (MST3K_4Ever)
Holy crap, does it get any more ultimate than Rhiannon "Ray" Palmer? I was probably here a month before I was able to wrap my brain around the idea of there being a female Atom. And MST3K does an awesome job of having this radically different Atom stand apart (she's not just DCU Ray Palmer with boobs) and really be a unique Atom in her own right. Very few people can be that creative and think that far outside of the box and do it all with the flare that MST3K does with Atom.

Best Character Development:
Bruce Wayne / Batman (MB)
MB's Batman is just amazing. Bruce Wayne, to me, is kind of a trite and overdone character (I was one of the few maybe who was happy when he was "dead" in DCU). MB sucks me in with his posts and its like this Chris Nolan-esque fresh look at the character, the ethos, and what drives him. Each post really just stands out for how he captures a total picture of Bruce Wayne.

Best Story Arc:
Starro (Byrd, MB, Spike_x1, Andy, MST3K, et al)
I thought this came together well, particularly given the large volume of writers involved.

Best Post:
Barbara Gordon / Batgirl (Syn) [ link ]
I thought this was one of the best posts I read this season. Introspective, very well written, excellent use of an NPC to help explore the feelings and fears experienced by a hero. At the same time Barbara was at rock bottom, she was also really becoming Batgirl.

MVP (Most Valuable Player): Byrd Man

It pains me to say it (no seriously, it does) but Byrd is not only a top-notch contributor but he also is the whip who keeps the 'big picture' in perspective and a lot of us on track.

Its a tough call though. There are a LOT of MVPs in this group.

:bow:

Thanks for all the nods, everybody. You made me feel good and made me cry....well, you made my penis cry.

Each and everyone of you deserve more props than I was able to give. Thank you all for turning UDC into one of the best RPGs on the hype, bar none.

Thanks for the awards guys - much appreciated. This RPG has been so much fun, and it's all because of the community of posters we have here, and the quality of the work. MB and I joke often about how this RPG seems to have taken on a sentience of its own, driving itself toward an ultimate end. But I have to say, it's most definently due to the aptitude of the posters in this RPG - and all of your ability to work off everyone else while incorporating your own ideas to formulate the great stories we've read so far.

This RPG is probably my favorite since I started here on hype - rivaling Ultimate Marvel vol. 1, which was quite a feat to accomplish. Thanks for the great season, guys. I honestly cannot wait to see where next season takes us. :up:

Awesome sauce. Looking forward to it. I got a pretty good idea for a Jason Bard case.

You'll be happy to know, or maybe not, that Bard's PI business will have some competition from one blank-faced vigilante and his own private detective service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"