• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homecoming The Next Spider-Man - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think Jack O'Connell would make a good Spidey? He looks the part and has the acting chops.

Yes yes! I've been saying that for a while! I think he'd be great, his role in Unbroken can definitely support him playing a Peter Parker type character

If we have only two options:
Spidey is an adult and Maguire returns
or
Spidey is a teen and the only possible actors are Aiken, Dillane, Weeks or Sivan

What would you prefer?

Um..... why can't we have an adult actor, and have a new actor play him?

If I could do it:

Peter Parker - Incredibly smart, a little bit of a geek but mostly just shy who is in a shell unless he's around friends or Aunt May, then he can let himself relax and say/do a few funny things here-or-there but nothing to the extent of when he's under the mask.

Spider-Man - A complete 180. He's cocky (but not unlikable cocky), hilarious, athletic, brave, and determined every time he puts on the suit.

If I could do it:

Peter Parker - Incredibly smart, a little bit of a geek but mostly just shy who is in a shell unless he's around friends or Aunt May, then he can let himself relax and say/do a few funny things here-or-there but nothing to the extent of when he's under the mask.

Spider-Man - A complete 180. He's cocky (but not unlikable cocky), hilarious, athletic, brave, and determined every time he puts on the suit.

:up:

And it was fine in the comics, but in a more realistic and modern coming of age story it will take time to grow out of his teenage angst. It's important that the suit is not shown as some sort of 'cure all' for Peter's teenage troubles. When Peter takes off the suit, he still deals with the same issues that all teens do. That's why he's the most relatable super hero, and his social awkwardness helps push the relatibility. I'm not saying it can't give him a little confidence boost at times though.

And I do agree with what you're saying overall, the suit does help peter grow as a person. I just think in a more realistic and modern setting it would be more gradual (personality-wise, at least )

Yeah, I could see that working for the new films. As long as they don't get another Tobey though who can't play a convincing Peter other than his pre-Spider bite days.

We need a good charistmatic/confident actor to play Spider-Man first and foremost. If they get that, he will be a good Peter in the long run.

The actor can act the a shy loner/geek at first and and as he progresses he can slowly start to remove that pretense and be more Spidey-like as Peter Parker. Though I think we should see that in the very first film to make it clear who Peter is. In the Raimi films, Peter was still the shy/quiet/nerd character in the 3rd movie. I just don't think Tobey was capable to be a good Peter Parker, so it worked better to keep him the nerd.

Last edited:
Yeah, I could see that working for the new films. As long as they don't get another Tobey though who can't play a convincing Peter other than his pre-Spider bite days.

We need a good charistmatic/confident actor to play Spider-Man first and foremost. If they get that, he will be a good Peter in the long run.

The actor can act the a shy loner/geek at first and and as he progresses he can slowly start to remove that pretense and be more Spidey-like as Peter Parker. Though I think we should see that in the very first film to make it clear who Peter is. In the Raimi films, Peter was still the shy/quiet/nerd character in the 3rd movie. I just don't think Tobey was capable to be a good Peter Parker, so it worked better to keep him the nerd.

Yea, I could see them using him asking out MJ, or Betty or even Liz as a transitional moment where he breaks out of that socially awkward shell; a symbolic moment of permanent character growth. And it definitely would be nice to see a cool and confident but still super nerdy Peter Parker going into his college years.

If an actor delivers a good Peter Parker but a mute/wooden Spider-Man then that is a fail. The movie is titled 'Spider-Man' and if I'm being honest with myself that is who I am paying to see.

If I could do it:

We need Jack Wilde from Oliver!

8 years ago Josh Keaton would have been perfect.

By 2017, Rollo Weeks will be an adult Spidey too :p

What is your obsession with random actors that have barely done anything.

Also Rollo Weeks is 27 now, I'm not sure what you classify as an adult. But I would say 27 counts.

Nope. He is not shy or indecisive in the original comics. One of the first panels is him asking out a girl.

Garfields portrayal is correct in that Peter's personality is largely the same in and out of costume. It doesn't change when he takes off the webs. He's just being himself in and out of the costume, he tells jokes and shows sarcasm as Peter. Look at the 90s animated series. It's nearly perfect on the portrayal.

Girl problems that he may have had were from not being able to explain conflicts in his dual life due to being Spider-Man. So it was to protect his identity. It wasn't from being indecisive about anything.

In fact, if anything Peter often jumps the gun and acts too quickly without thinking things through all the way. He does tend to get himself in trouble a lot. I mean, he proposed to MJ the first time on a feeling before even revealing his identity, how reckless is that?

Its too simple to reduce one action like asking a girl out or making a choice to then conclude a generality such as the character not being shy or indecisive. As someone said , a shy person can be in a relationship, and an indecisive person can know what direction they want their life to go in or jump the gun on a certain occasion. What we're really talking about are a persons character traits which aren't always in conflict with that same persons actions.

Garfield's Peter and Spiderman are quite different so I wouldn't agree that they're pretty much the same. Garfield plays better more confident then Maguire but he's not a smart alec out of the costume and is alot more awkward. I wouldn't say the personalities are the same at all. If anything, I think he was able to make a stronger distinction between his two sides than Maguire did. You may be right with the 90s cartoon though but that's why I mentioned.

No offence but speak for yourself, I thought Garfield's Spider-Man was hilarious.

I am aware that humor is very subjective but I didn't laugh at any of his jokes and neither did the audience so Im not alone on that. The effective humor the film had on the audience didn't come from Andrew, it came from scenes like Peter's ringtone or Peter hitting a wall while trying to talk with Gwen, etc.

Dylan has played vulnerable but also cocky/confident that's why he gets my vote. Logan is a great actor but I don't know if he can pull off the wise cracks.

I am aware that humor is very subjective but I didn't laugh at any of his jokes and neither did the audience so Im not alone on that. The effective humor the film had on the audience didn't come from Andrew, it came from scenes like Peter's ringtone or Peter hitting a wall while trying to talk with Gwen, etc.

Well the audience I saw the movie with were laughing at Spider-Man's antics especially when he pulls Rhino's pants down.

What is your obsession with random actors that have barely done anything.

Also Rollo Weeks is 27 now, I'm not sure what you classify as an adult. But I would say 27 counts.

Well to some (most from what I've seen), its okay for a 27-30 year old to play a high school age Spidey.

Well to some (most from what I've seen), its okay for a 27-30 year old to play a high school age Spidey.

Yeah but they've done that twice and Marvel wants a younger Spidey so they probably will pick a guy in their early 20s

Well the audience I saw the movie with were laughing at Spider-Man's antics especially when he pulls Rhino's pants down.

I remember hearing kids laugh at that scene with Rhino, which is the demographic I think they aimed for.

I recall collective laughter for the Oxford scene, the laundry sheriff, Max in the elevator with Gwen, and when Peter smacks himself with his phone while answering Harry's call.

Its too simple to reduce one action like asking a girl out or making a choice to then conclude a generality such as the character not being shy or indecisive. As someone said , a shy person can be in a relationship, and an indecisive person can know what direction they want their life to go in or jump the gun on a certain occasion. What we're really talking about are a persons character traits which aren't always in conflict with that same persons actions.

Believe me, it's not due to one scene. It's due to a whole history of reading the character that I gather this information. Time and time again I have read him in social situations and have not seen him as a shy person. It is not character trait. Peter is a natural loner but this does not equate to him being shy person. Usually he just preferes to go things because he's got too many problems to include other's in his life. I've never seen him in a situation where he is held back by shyness or fear of what others might think of him, nor have I seen him with a problem socializing or being with others.

Some other character traits are I attribute to him:
Responsible, charistmatic, humorous, witty, active, brave, compassionate.

Although with his stressful, non-stop life on the go due to being Spider-Man he worries about his problems all the time. None of his worries include anything to do with social anxiety or shyness around others. His problems are too big for that to even be on the radar.

Garfield's Peter and Spiderman are quite different so I wouldn't agree that they're pretty much the same. Garfield plays better more confident then Maguire but he's not a smart alec out of the costume and is alot more awkward. I wouldn't say the personalities are the same at all. If anything, I think he was able to make a stronger distinction between his two sides than Maguire did. You may be right with the 90s cartoon though but that's why I mentioned.

Peter Parker IS witty and sarcastic around others. And he can be an outright smart aleck towards people he doesn't care about offending or wants to offend.

Last edited:
I remember hearing kids laugh at that scene with Rhino, which is the demographic I think they aimed for.

I recall collective laughter for the Oxford scene, the laundry sheriff, Max in the elevator with Gwen, and when Peter smacks himself with his phone while answering Harry's call.

The people in front of me laughed when Gwen died....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"