Homecoming The Next Spider-Man - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad. But their careers made it out unscathed, thankfully. Felicity Jones may be the biggest breakout star of the year with ToE, and Dane has a lot of projects coming up. I hope Garfield finds his next definitive role after this though.

Again, it goes to show you they had a cast that has been on demand lately. If not anything else, at least it shed more light on the actors and made them more prevalent in the public's eye. I'll definitely be keeping up with all of them onwards.

However, Garfield has been the only one that limited his work. I still need to see 99 Homes (it's received solid ratings).

It's sad. But their careers made it out unscathed, thankfully. Felicity Jones may be the biggest breakout star of the year with ToE, and Dane has a lot of projects coming up. I hope Garfield finds his next definitive role after this though.

Between 99 Homes, and the Scorsese film he's been filming this past year, I wouldn't be shocked to see Andrew holding a little golden man in the near future.

Between 99 Homes, and the Scorsese film he's been filming this past year, I wouldn't be shocked to see Andrew holding a little golden man in the near future.

Oh I forgot he signed on for a scorcese. He's fine.

He will be 30 years old in 2017. THAT must be considered an adult.

My "obsession", as you call it, is not more strange that the crazy hype surrounding both O'Brien and Lerman.

It really is, O'Brien and Lerman have proved themselves, you name names like Rollo Weeks, Frank Dillane, Liam Aiken, Skandar Keynes, that kid from Wolverine Origins, none of whom have done anything recently, or any major role ever.

We are not casting agents therefore we can not base our casting hopes on guys who can go in and audition for the role and knock it out the park, we can only base it on previous roles, and I don't see how a 27 year old whose only two films i've heard of were 11 and 19 years ago, triumphs a 23 year old who has had a lead role in a young adult film, and was great in two critically acclaimed films ie Perks of Being a Wallflower and Fury.

It really is, O'Brien and Lerman have proved themselves, you name names like Rollo Weeks, Frank Dillane, Liam Aiken, Skandar Keynes, that kid from Wolverine Origins, none of whom have done anything recently, or any major role ever.

We are not casting agents therefore we can not base our casting hopes on guys who can go in and audition for the role and knock it out the park, we can only base it on previous roles, and I don't see how a 27 year old whose only two films i've heard of were 11 and 19 years ago, triumphs a 23 year old who has had a lead role in a young adult film, and was great in two critically acclaimed films ie Perks of Being a Wallflower and Fury.
You see, I rather want to give everyone a fair chance. I'm not drooling after the latest hyped guy as studios usually do.
The right actor should get the part, no matter what exposure he's got during the last year(s). Even if I believe Lerman will be great in the role, I'm also trying to expand the view of potential candidates other than him and the Dylan guy.
Yes, you read me correctly. Aiken and a couple of the others are, in fact, suitable for Peter Parker. The only thing that prevents people here from seeing this, is the lack of exposure those guys get. But try to look beyond that. See the actors for their actual talent, not the amount of high-profile work.

As for Skandar Keynes, he isn't my favorite but he's atleast on the rumoured shortlist. If he's actually considered for the role, what makes him a possible contender? He hasn't done a film for years and he wasn't even the greatest of actors (only decent). What do casting agents see in him that most people don't?
From my point of view, it's very strange that Skandar is seen as a better fit for Spidey/PP than Aiken.

Frank Dillane? He will been seen in a Ron Howard blockbuster next year. Don't know if you consider it "recently".

Unfortunately the only way we can assess 'actual talent' is through previous performances. Skander Keynes was painstakingly contrived in the Narnia films, and it has been years since Week's last film. We have nothing to judge him by apart from that horrible Lemony Snicket film. Personally think Frank Dillane is an ok choice but not impressed by his so called 'actual talent'. He hasn't really proven that that talent exists. Exposure is incredibly important. Its the only way we can assess acting ability. Many people have the appearance to play the character but very few have the acting chops to convey the story. Lerman and to a certain extent, O'Brien are both proven entities.

It also depends on the type of Peter Parker the script calls for and what actor can capture the type of Peter the script calls for. Maguire captured the essence of what Raimi was going for with the character and Garfield likewise did with what Webb wanted. That's one of the big things fans don't get about the casting of films , is that directors and producers often pick on actor because they fit their vision of how they see the character according to the script , while fans see years of comics, previous iterations, and the actors prior performances and conclude they're wrong for the part. The script is key, and the controversial castings of Keaton, Ledger, Hathaway, Craig, Maguire, etc make sense in hindsight once you see how the script has shaped the character.

That's why , as fan, I try to give the filmmakers leeway on the casting of actors in certain roles because we really haven't seen the script. As such, its not fair to dismiss an actor because they don't have "The Peter Parker look" or they aren't "5'10" , or that, they're from the UK as opposed to the US. I personally like Lerman and O'Brien but I'm gonna defer to Marvel's judgement and wouldn't be all that surprised if we end up with an actor no one has mentioned here and probably won't fit people's idea of what a teen Peter Parker should look like.

Unfortunately the only way we can assess 'actual talent' is through previous performances. Skander Keynes was painstakingly contrived in the Narnia films, and it has been years since Week's last film. We have nothing to judge him by apart from that horrible Lemony Snicket film. Personally think Frank Dillane is an ok choice but not impressed by his so called 'actual talent'. He hasn't really proven that that talent exists. Exposure is incredibly important. Its the only way we can assess acting ability. Many people have the appearance to play the character but very few have the acting chops to convey the story. Lerman and to a certain extent, O'Brien are both proven entities.
Bolded text: Do you mean Skandar or Weeks all along or do you bring up Aiken for Lemony Snicket?
If you do mean Aiken, have you really not seen anything else except that Jim Carrey film from a decade ago? What about The Killer Inside Me?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0954947/combined

You say it's been years since Weeks last film and you are completely right. Booked Out was released in 2012. But it's been twice as long since we saw Skandar. Yet he's still on the shortlist. If the list is official, explain this logic to me please. Is he actually a better actor than Weeks?

And then we have Frank Dillane. He studied acting at RADA and then got cast in a Ron Howard film. Surely, he must have some skills, right?

You say that Dylan O Brien has proven himself. Take a look at his IMDb page. He's not done as much as one would expect. A couple of my suggestions have actually more experience than him. The only thing that gives Dylan the upper hand is more or less the exposure he got to the general audience with Maze Runner.

He will be 30 years old in 2017. THAT must be considered an adult.

My "obsession", as you call it, is not more strange that the crazy hype surrounding both O'Brien and Lerman.

You can include my own little fandom for Vincent Martella. :oldrazz:

Dude, what happened to your sig?

Ehh, decided to let it go. :oldrazz:

Vincent probably won't happen, Logan is already a large favorite to the role, and as much as I'd like Freddie as Peter, I'm convinced he'd make a better Harry due to what's been doing on Bates Motel.

Ehh, decided to let it go. :oldrazz:

Vincent probably won't happen, Logan is already a large favorite to the role, and as much as I'd like Freddie as Peter, I'm convinced he'd make a better Harry due to what's been doing on Bates Motel.
Decided to let mine's go too. I think it'd be best to cast an unknown Spider-Man.

I'd be surprised if they cast someone younger than 18 due to labor laws. 18-25 would be the ideal age range I think.

There's a difference between having proven themselves as stars on the rise and proven themselves as not just the right fit for Spider-Man, but also the right fit to be put amongst the other more established characters and stars in the Avengers. You bring up performances in other films, but that doesn't mean that you can just transpose that onto Spider-Man.

Also, are we to necessarily expect Marvel to make a choice that's obvious and expected?

Last edited:
Well, if they go for someone other than the two "big names", Brenton Thwaites is already working for Disney on Maleficent and the next POTC movie. I think he could pull off Peter.

Hey havent been on here in awhile how is everyone? Anyways lets say they do wana go older spiderman like some users were talking awhile back......i vote Zachary Levi for an older spiderman i think he would shine in the part i know he was in thor but..just my opinion. As for the younger spiderman wich is more then likely the way itd go with marvel or another reboot. I say go unknown.

I really think Dylan O'Brien would be the ideal Parker/Spider-Man with his experience in both film (Maze Runner) and television (Teen Wolf). I could definitely see Marvel casting him if they decided to reboot Spider-Man in a Netflix series that happens after Avengers 1 and 2 and leads in to Infinity War Part I. By that time he'd be ready to blow up on the big screen.

The more I've thought about, Freddie Highmore has emerged as my top choice. I know he's been fancast as Harry alot recently, but I really think he'd do something unique as Peter/Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"