The Northman

Watched this last night and...I was very underwhelmed. 7/10. Far too boring and very predictable. Felt like a season of Vikings wrapped into one 2+ hour movie. Somethings also just came off unintentionally funny to me, especially in the beginning. I also can't really stand Alexander Skarsgård. True Blood wore me out on him.

7/10? This reaction sounds like a 5/10, at best!

Second viewing. Still a 4/5.

I don’t like the actor who replaced Bill Skarsgard. He looks more like Claes Bang, sure, but didn’t care for his performance. Some very strong acting here and yet it’s the weakest overall in the acting department out of the 3 films.

I love the third act. The score isn’t something I’d listen to on its own, but it absolutely works well with the film, as it should.

Claes Bang is soooo fun to watch. “Raahhcky! Down Raaahhcky!” :funny:

Anya is perfect casting but she’s better in The Witch. More to do in that movie I guess.

You can’t convince me Brendan Gleeson isn’t in this movie. Sorry!

Eggers is on my current/active Mount Rushmore of directors. I hope he stays healthy because i feel privileged watching his career from the very beginning. I still remember watching the teaser for The Witch and getting chills. I’m happy he’s not doing a remake or adaption next. I feel like he needs to counter The Northman with a smaller, original concept. If he wants Anya + DaFoe (as “Old”) then he should probably make Nosferatu as his fifth or sixth film. No later. But I guess it’s up to the suits.

Gave this a second watch. Still a great film overall! I do think it's the one I'm gonna end up rewatching the least when it comes to Eggers movies though.

Gave this a second watch. Still a great film overall! I do think it's the one I'm gonna end up rewatching the least when it comes to Eggers movies though.
Yeah I watched it again last week. It’s my least favourite of the three but it’s really solid. I realized something though. I think Eggers will be that guy who’s filmography will be (equally?) split into two. Originals and then retellings of old classic stories. All period pieces of course. But i see myself responding more to his original ideas like The Witch and The Lighthouse. Because The Northman was quite simple, predictable and the dialogue wasn’t like his first two. There were some unnecessary exposition and a lot of the lines didn’t jump out at me like the others. Eggers definitely tried to streamline his usual shenanigans for a wider audience. The psychedelic moments felt like his way of trying to add SOMETHING strange to an otherwise simple meat & potatoes film.

When I read his Nosferatu, the same feeling came over me. The dialogue wasn’t that great and Rob doesn’t go out of his way to change the basic structure of the original. Which, like The Northman, leaves me asking “what’s the point?”. The power of his Nosferatu lies in the descriptions in the script. The way he described the Orlok in that first meeting is chilling. Or how I read the opening scene with actors like DaFoe and Taylor-Joy in mind. Or the descriptions of the hounds chasing the carriage...imagining how cool Eggers will make that look on screen. But overall there is this question of “but...why though? Is that enough of a reason to go through the trouble making another Nosferatu??”.

So, I’m down for his adaptations and will probably enjoy all of them to an extent. But I can’t help but feel like I’d rather see Robert Eggers spend his time creating completely original works that just happen to be set in a different century. So far, that’s when he’s at his best.

Last edited:
Someone mind sharing the physical description of Eggers' Orlok?

If I can find the script that I had, I’ll type it out for you. It’s tremendous. I wish Pattinson or Fassbender can take the role if it happens.

Surprisingly easy to find now that I've checked. I wasn't even aware that the script was online.

Planning on having a readthrough sometime next week.

aJU2a3K.png

It’s also every other description of his eyes and movements that was *chef’s kiss*

Wish Rob would do one more draft to clean it up though.

Finally got around to seeing this in theaters. I liked it quite a bit, but probably my least favorite of Egger's 3 films. Very gorgeous film looking film and wonderfully acted. The brutality of everything worked really well.

Glad I hadn't watched any trailers or seen a whole lot of footage before going into it.

Just finished this. Count me as underwhelmed. It isn't bad or anything, but this was fairly generic. Nowhere near as interesting or creative as The Lighthouse IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"