The Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by nite-owl, Feb 9, 2018.

1. LoganGambit87 Registered

i wanted to like it since i love slow burn atmospheric type of films but this was me:cool:
    [​IMG]

Deck Rickard likes this.
  2. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

Are you sure it wasn't because you couldn't understand half the dialogue? :o :hehe:

3. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I definitely had to turn subtitles on for my first viewing. Still one of my favorite films of the past decade. Hell one of my favorite period.

Life's been busy but I'm seeing this next weekend. Deliberately stayed away from the conversation because I want to know as little as possible but from what I've seen it sounds like it's been well-received.

-Arya- likes this.
  4. -Arya- World’s Strangest Heroes

This was one of the most original and immersive film experiences I’ve had this entire decade. I loved The Witch (like top 10 of the 2010’s level great) so my anticipation for The Lighthouse was sky high. I’m happy to say it lived up to my expectations. There’s so much surreal imagery, so many sounds and textures that are burned into my mind. This will defintely require multiple viewings to fully absorb all the subtext. Not to mention I’ll need subtitles next time just like The Witch to appreciate the dialogue more. It’s insane how Robert Eggers managed to make 2 masterpieces right out of the gate in his career.

5. Mysterio-23 Registered

Came here to see what this is all about. Planning on renting The Witch tonight. Maybe I’ll catch this next weekend. Thanks everyone!

6. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Loved it.

How about them mermaids?
    [​IMG]

KaijuDude1992 and MovieSlave like this.
  7. Boom I got nothin'

Eggers did an AMA on Reddit. Nothing particularly insightful, but a few quick hits:

1. He'd still like to do Nosferatu (He's put a lot of years into it already), but as of now there hasn't been movement.
    2. He would like to do another New England horror film to complete his self-described "New England Horror Trilogy."
    3. His favorite horror movies:

Nosferatu, Murnau, 1922
    The Shining, Kubrick, 1980
    Possession, Żuławski, 1981
    Alien, Scott, 1979
    Psycho, Hitchcock, 1960
    The Innocents, Clayton, 1961
    The Piano Teacher, Haneke, 2001
    Cries & Whispers, Bergman, 1972
    The Tennant, Polanski, 1976
    Angst, Gerald Kargl, 1983
    Rosemary's Baby, Polanski, 1968
    Onibaba, Kaneto Shindo, 1965
    Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Wiene, 1920
    The Devil, Żuławski, 1972
    Hour of the Wolf, Bergman, 1968
    Blue Velvet, Lynch, 1986
    Lot Highway, Lynch, 1997
    Mulholland Drive, Lynch, 2001
    Twentynine Palms, Bruno Dumont, 2003
    The Exorcist, Friedkin, 1973
    Don't Look Now, Roeg, 1973
    The Birds, Hitchcock, 1963
    Fall of the House of Usher, Epstein, 1928
    Repulsion, Polanski, 1965
    The Hunger, Tony Scott, 1983
    Häxan, Benjamin Christensen, 1922

hellblazer103 likes this.
  8. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

Watched most of those. Great list. Zulawski is among my favorite cinematic discoveries of the past 10 years.

9. Gothamsknight Registered

Really hoping to see this tomorrow.

10. MovieSlave Registered

:up::up:

11. -Arya- World’s Strangest Heroes

I wouldn’t classify Cries and Whispers as a horror film but regardless, it’s fantastic to see Bergman’s names on this list.

12. moviedoors Registered

Yep. I just saw it a second time as well, and I think this might be the movie of the year.

13. Reeves2020 Registered

14. writer0327 Registered

Saw this last night and loved it. Could almost feel the chill of sea spray in the theater. Pattinson and Dafoe are both thunderous in this film and will duke it out for best performance of the year, but the nod goes to Dafoe in my book. The Lighthouse it has a very simple yet eclectic feel to it, like it was inspired from a varied array of different films and there's almost a poetic style to the dialogue, especially Dafoe. Reminded me of listening to old family members talk about their glory days. I really enjoyed the aspect ratio, thought it would bug me, but it really added to the film, gave it a claustrophobic feel, especially when Eggers shot in those confined quarters, which was often. This movie is so deserving of a second viewing.

9/10

15. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

Really liked it. I live in Corpus Christi and there’s a lot of gulls out here. Can’t unsee what I’ve seen.

16. Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

Saw this today and it was masterful. Easily at the top of my list of movies I’ve seen this year. I got to the theater a little later than I anticipated and it was packed so I had to sit in the front row. Talk about being completely immersed. I felt like I couldn’t escape like the characters.

Pattinson and Dafoe were equally brilliant. The former especially, I couldn’t believe it was him. The cinematography was beautiful, the black and white did wonders. So many beautiful images of the two actors just standing that felt like paintings.

Definitely want to see this again. Probably not in theaters because I want to be able to pause and do a full unpacking of every scene. It’s just so wonderfully dense. 10/10

17. James.B In search of the absurd

Interview between Robert Eggers and Rian Johnson.

Spoilers

Kane52630 likes this.
  18. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Mother of pearl, this movie.

the most forum appropriate thing I have on my mind having just seen this is that I hope Matt Reeves’ lets Pattinson go full Conrad Veidt again as Batman.

19. David H. We’re not owed anything.

And I think you can see many of those in this film’s DNA. Hour of the Wolf sprang to mind right away.

I also saw some...
    Fargo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even The Gold Rush in this. Lots of Bela Tarr, as well, as is to be expected after The VVitch.

20. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Still going on about this movie...

Dafoe’s face perfectly melding with the earth as he’s being buried alive is probably my favorite single shot of any movie this year. An utterly haunting sight and testament to an actor’s commitment (I can definitely see where and why Pattinson would have wanted to punch Eggers in the face.)

I might have been laughing too hard at Batman walking the Green Goblin to his grave like a dog.

... now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go think of some Aquaman jokes.

21. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I can't remember the last time I was so conflicted over the film I just watched. :funny:

22. hellblazer103 Nasty Piece of Work

Guess I'm a little late on this one lol

But what an absolute mind**** of a film. Insane stuff. Great performances from Dafoe and Pattinson.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  23. scarlet-witch Stormborn

The seagull is the breakout character of the year though.

24. MovieSlave Registered

Just like Black Phillip was in 2015. I hope The Northman has another animal co-starring. :funny: Hopefully a raven...or two really.

KaijuDude1992 and scarlet-witch like this.
  25. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I... really didn’t like this movie. I didn’t like or even care about either of the characters; by the end I was just hoping they would kill each other so I could leave. Maybe it was because I couldn’t understand 3/4 of the dialogue because of the bull**** accents the two of them were doing, but I honestly can’t even say what the movie was supposed to be about. I really WANTED to like it; I loved The VVitch and the cinematography was stellar. But everything else... I’m sorry, I just didn’t care for any of it. I guess I’m in the minority here; I also found Midsomar to pretty much be a waste of time, but I know a lot of people really dug that one. Eh. I should probably give it another shot whenever it comes on Netflix (with subtitles on) but I honestly don’t think I could sit through it again.

Elayis likes this.