The Northman

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
Robert Eggers, Alexander Skarsgard Team for Viking Saga 'The Northman'

Robert Eggers, days away from the opening of The Lighthouse, is setting his sights on his next feature project.

Eggers is sticking to historical times with The Northman, a Viking drama that is being set up at New Regency.

Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, Anya Taylor-Joy, Bill Skarsgård and his Lighthouse star Willem Dafoe are in various stages of talks to star in the saga.

Skarsgard is said to have approached Eggers with the initial idea for the story and will also be a producer.

Written by Eggers and Icelandic poet and novelist Sjón, Northman is described as a grounded story set in Iceland at the turn of the 10th century that centers on a Nordic prince who seeks revenge for the death of his father.

If talks progress and deals make, Skarsgard would play the prince and Kidman his mother.

Cool news but I guess Nosferatu won’t be seeing the light of day :word:

You guys are fast!

I am all in on this, just hope it isn't black and white.

giphy.gif

Also it sucks he's not going forward with the Nosferatu remake.

Now this sounds decent

Maybe Nosferatu will be next up after this?

I read an interview that Pattinson rejected Nosferatu because the Vampire thing, dumb decision. So blame him.
The lighthouse came to light because him rejected Eggers' first offers

And now he's attached to superheroes, He will miss doing other projects the next years. I would be

Last edited:
Yep, this settles it. Robert Eggers is becoming one of my go-to directors for whatever he makes.

Happy to see him re-teaming with Anya.

Eggers is really the filmmaker I've been waiting for. Someone who's steeped in folklore and mythology. This ****'s my jam.
Agreed.

Hopefully he can have a crack of ancient Greece one day...

Any idea of a release date? Guessing 2021.

It's too soon for a release date. But for comparison...

The Witch seems to have begun hiring crew in 2013. It premiered at Sundance in January 2015. And it was released in theater in February 2016.

Lighthouse began casting in February 2018 and its being released this month.

This film is still in the talks stage so it could be 2021 or 2022 or even 2023. Really depends on a lot of factors.

It's too soon for a release date. But for comparison...

The Witch seems to have begun hiring crew in 2013. It premiered at Sundance in January 2015. And it was released in theater in February 2016.

Lighthouse began casting in February 2018 and its being released this month.

This film is still in the talks stage so it could be 2021 or 2022 or even 2023. Really depends on a lot of factors.
Great, thank you .

The project, which was described by a source as somewhere in between Braveheart and Game of Thrones, is greenlit at New Regency and looking to start shooting soon. For preliminary planning, a release is being eyed for sometime in 2021.

AVC: Can we expect similar things in terms of drawing from archetypes and folklore and certain periods and settings?

RE: That’s all that I’m interested in. I don’t know if I’m going to always make horror movies. The thing that I’m currently working on is not [horror]. But I know enough to know that unless I’m on set saying, “action,” I don’t know that that’s the next movie I’m making. But who knows? I might be, against my better judgement, talking to you in five years about the third and final film in the New England horror trilogy. But that’s not what I’m doing [now].

The Lighthouse’s Robert Eggers: “Nothing good happens when two men are trapped in a giant phallus”

You're next directing The Northman, a Viking revenge saga set at the turn of the 10th century, with Dafoe as well as Alexander and Bill Skarsgard, Nicole Kidman, and Anya Taylor-Joy from The Witch. What can you tell me about it?

Folk tales, fairy tales, religion, the occult—these are the things I’m most passionate about, even more than cinema. And I’m very passionate about cinema. So it should be no surprise to anyone that, for the Viking movie, I’m trying to explore that stuff in the Viking world, to try to get inside the mind of old Norse people, portray what that was. I don't want them to be, like, undercut-mohawk, tattooed, science-fiction rock stars. I want them to be old Norse people.

You moved up from a relative unknown in Anya Taylor-Joy leading The Witch to two widely respected stars, Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, in The Lighthouse. The Northman already has a much bigger, more star-studded cast than anything you've worked on.

And there are still two more big roles that need to be cast! It takes a lot longer for actors' deals to be finished when they're famous. But look, you have to work with people you get along with. If you are establishing a relationship where you as the director have to be kissing your star's feet, it's not gonna work.

[...]

and the people cast in The Northman, whom I haven't met yet but from speaking on the phone, I can tell. It's not a movie-star thing. These are creative, smart, passionate craftspeople who want to collaborate and tell a story.

Robert Eggers Talks 'The Lighthouse,' 'The Northman,' and... 'Mary Poppins'?

Saw the The Lighthouse, and now this is firmly cemented as one of my most anticipated movies of whatever year it comes out. I am firmly on the Eggers Train.

Best case scenario, late 2020.

If the studio thinks it has awards potential, held until summer/fall 2021.

It's probably a 2021 release. From what he said on The Ringer podcast, it sounds like a bigger production than his previous two films.

And there are still two more big roles that need to be cast!

Would be fun to see Stellan in there. A Skarsgard family Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"