The Northman

On demand after 3 weeks? That’s insane.

Tis' is. TIs' is. Bald man.

Still, I got big itch to rewatch it again from the comfort of my couch. Got me a kentucky fire cured cigar ready to go for it too.

tumblr_o2eud6guYo1rcnqeto6_r1_400.gifv

Also, this film finally made me realized Anya Taylor Joy is what a unicorn would look like human form.

excellence-muah.gif

Overall an 8/10 - I won’t lie some parts were boring and felt uneven, but the atmosphere of this supernatural revenge story was enough to win me over. It felt like equal parts of Ridley Scott and Akira Kurosawa.

What I really found interesting was how similar this was to The Witch, where instead of Black Phillip haunting and killing people in a village, it was Amleth doing it.

So I did end up rewatching this recently. Still as great as the first time, but would say some of the impact I felt the first time was lost just a bit.

And I still absolutely loved the movie. I loved pretty much everything about it - the tone, atmosphere, cinematography, sound & music (the score was a definite standout on its own), directing, even the brutality to an extent, which just served the purpose in showing how things might have actually been back then. And I especially appreciated how much mysticism and Norse mythology there was - just enough that it added such a huge amount of both "cool factor" and "dread" to it.

So incredibly immersive, and the way Eggers took us into its world in the opening minutes was done so well, I got sucked into it almost as soon as it started. And that scene pictured above with the wolf's head costume was not only insane but pretty much the moment that the movie grabbed me by the proverbial throat and let me know that this was going to be a heck of an intense ride.

Give Eggers all of the historical epics from now on, I say. He'd be the perfect director for a number of other historical stories as has been mentioned, but if I had to single anything out, it'd be the ancient Greek stories with monsters like the minotaur, hydra, Medusa, etc. A dark take on that material from Eggers would be amazing no doubt. Or anything from ancient Egypt would be equally cool.

Last edited:
Just watched it on VOD. It was really good but I kept thinking how did they spend $90M on this? Not sure where it went. But the acting and fight scenes were great.

Lots of building sets in areas that are tough to move in and out of.

Bought it. Now I can rewatch ATJ in all her glory. The ending is still hauntingly beautiful. I feel like George Miller would love the hell out of this. On to Furiosa.

Just read a Variety article that said the break even point was $200 Million. If that’s true…yikes.

I guess we won’t be seeing this type of studio movie again for a long time unless HBO or Amazon can fund it. Netflix sure as hell isn’t going to do it anymore.

I'll stream it this weekend and buy a copy. Do what I can to support it. But yeah, it's a genuine shame this movie couldn't find an audience. It's metal af.

Just read a Variety article that said the break even point was $200 Million. If that’s true…yikes.

I guess we won’t be seeing this type of studio movie again for a long time unless HBO or Amazon can fund it. Netflix sure as hell isn’t going to do it anymore.

While I liked the movie, it had no business being worth $90M. I want to see the receipts.

I haven’t made a list of my top 10 favorite movies ever made but if I did the Witch and the Northman would absolutely make an appearance. Robert Eggars don’t miss

Me thinks it was a body double, since she steps out of frame for a second.

Don’t we see her face after she gets in the water though?

Also we get a glimpse in the forest thats got to be her.

Just watched it on VOD. It was really good but I kept thinking how did they spend $90M on this? Not sure where it went. But the acting and fight scenes were great.
I guess cast and crew weren't cheap, lot of talent in there.

Yeah but this was never meant to be some sort of franchise starter anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"