The Official Balder Thread

I'm just getting in to Thor-lore due to the anticipation of the movie, and have only really read JMS's run, but it would seem to be a glaring omission to leave him out. From what I've ascertained, his role in Thor's stories is more important than even Heimdall, who we know is in this.

I would also argue he's more important than the Warriors Three. I'd say he and Sif are about tied at 4th most important Asgardian (after Thor, Loki, and Odin)

I'd agree with that. Depending on the time period, either Balder or Sif could be the 4th-most important Asgardian--Sif during the late '60s and '70s, Balder during the late '90s and early '00s, both about equal in the mid '80s Simonson run, etc.

Really, Thor's supporting cast of Asgardians has always been Odin, Loki, Balder, Sif, and the Warriors Three. Other gods have come and gone but those 7 are almost always around and Thor considers them the gods closest to him in the comics. Leaving Balder out would be a gross oversight to me.

I'd agree with that. Depending on the time period, either Balder or Sif could be the 4th-most important Asgardian--Sif during the late '60s and '70s, Balder during the late '90s and early '00s, both about equal in the mid '80s Simonson run, etc.

Really, Thor's supporting cast of Asgardians has always been Odin, Loki, Balder, Sif, and the Warriors Three. Other gods have come and gone but those 7 are almost always around and Thor considers them the gods closest to him in the comics. Leaving Balder out would be a gross oversight to me.

Good point, well said, and stated. I agree completely.

well maybe he could be in the film and just have a small role for now, heck we are even sure how much time all the asgardians are even getting.

It'd be ridiculous if they left him out, and I don't think they would. Hopefully there will be a casting announcement for him in the next few weeks.

I'm not really sure which would be worse, though: leaving him out with the possibility of maybe bringing him in for a substantial role in a sequel, or squeezing him in as the misrepresented old fogey the earlier script called for. I mean, you can dress Bruce Wayne in a pink tutu, give him the IQ of a lima bean, and claim you've got Batman in a film, but that sure as hell doesn't really make him Batman to anyone else.

He wasn't really old in the first draft, just older than in the comics. I'd say he was probably mid 30's as opposed to the 20-somethings Thor, Loki and Sif were.

Still, Balder is Thor's best friend and eternal companion. There have been stories built entirely around just that fact in the comics. If they make him just some older dude to Thor, he'd be missing a major part of what makes him Balder in the Marvel universe. Say what you will about Heimdall's casting, but I think taking out Balder's friendship with Thor is a much bigger change to Balder than a different skin color is to Heimdall.

Agreed. That draft has clearly been overhauled though, (Jane Foster wasn't even in it and now she is one of the leads) so hopefully Balder's role has been changed to better reflect his character

I don't think Balder will be in the movie. In the first draft, his only function was to...

... Die as part of Loki's plan to eliminate Thor, the main threat to his plans.

This seems to have changed to...

... Thor accidently restarting the war between Asgard and Jotunhein due his arrogance.

Which is both more true to the Comic Books and more related to the movie's Plot, from what I can gather.

I bet Balder and other classic characters, like Encantor, The Executer, Hela, Surtur, Ymir, Beta Ray Bill and etc. will appear in the sequels. They could say Balder was in an mission in Odin's behalf on one of the Nine Worlds and came back as soon as he was informed of what happened in his absence.

I am almost positive Balder will be in this movie. You can't have an introductory Thor movie and not have Balder in it.

Enchantress, Executioner, Hela, Surtur, Ymir, Beta Ray Bill - these are all side characters who don't need to be introduced as integral parts of Thor's world. Balder is one of Thor's closest allies and essentially his best friend

I'm a huge Beta Ray Bill fan, but even I ain't holding my breath to ever see him in a movie. It seems like he's one of those characters that's just too weird for the general public to wrap their collective head around.

I am almost positive Balder will be in this movie. You can't have an introductory Thor movie and not have Balder in it.

Enchantress, Executioner, Hela, Surtur, Ymir, Beta Ray Bill - these are all side characters who don't need to be introduced as integral parts of Thor's world. Balder is one of Thor's closest allies and essentially his best friend

I understand, but it doesn't look like he's in. From what I could see, the revised Script filled his role with a bigger part for Sif.

Have you read the revised script? If not, then you are simply guessing based on the little (and it is very little) that we know

And Sif was one of the largest characters in the first draft, if anything her role will have been significantly scaled down to make room for Jane Foster

I'm assuming as much as you. Everyone is in the dark.

And Sif's role will probably stay the same, since Jane Foster and her colleagues are substituing...

... Elric and his family...

... As Thor's human friends.

Yes but Sif's major role in the first draft was towards the end as Thor's love interest, and I think it's pretty clear Jane Foster will ultimately end up Thor's love interest in this movie.

And I am assuming that one of Thor's major supporting characters, who has appeared in almost every piece of media and major story including Thor and was in the first draft, will remain in the film, whereas you are assuming he will be arbitrarily removed.

Yes, but Sif's major role in the first draft was towards the end as Thor's love interest, and I think it's pretty clear Jane Foster will ultimately end up Thor's love interest in this movie.
Not really, especially because there will be no Donald Blake.

And I am assuming that one of Thor's major supporting characters, who has appeared in almost every piece of media and major story including Thor and was in the first draft, will remain in the film, whereas you are assuming he will be arbitrarily removed.
Yes, because that has never happened before, especially with such a famous character as Balder. :o

Look, I don't want to argue, but that's not an uncommon thing to happen, and no one has ever given hints of Balder being present that I can remind of.

Not really, especially because there will be no Donald Blake.
Every single casting announcement and press release has labeled Jane Foster the "love interest". Donald Blake really has nothing to do with it
Yes, because that has never happened before, especially with such a famous character as Balder. :o

Look, I don't want to argue, but that's not an uncommon thing to happen, and no one has ever given hints of Balder being present that I can remind of.
It has nothing to do with Balder's fame. Is Sif a famous character? Are the Warriors Three famous characters? It's about his importance to Thor

Every single casting announcement and press release has labeled Jane Foster the "love interest". Donald Blake really has nothing to do with it.
I did not see that. Do you have a Link? Altough casting announcements and press releases can never be fully trusted. :hehe:

It has nothing to do with Balder's fame. Is Sif a famous character? Are the Warriors Three famous characters? It's about his importance to Thor.
I understant your point. I'm only saying that there's zero indications that Balder is in it and it wouldn't be the first time a major secondary character is cut from a movie adaptation. That's all.

i think we have enough characters as it is balder would just make a spiderman 3 lol

I did not see that. Do you have a Link? Altough casting announcements and press releases can never be fully trusted. :hehe:
She has been described as the love interest every time a new cast member has been added. She was rumored to be up for the role of the "love interest" before we even knew she was up for Foster. Kevin Feige basically came out and said that Foster was the love interest. She is obviously the main love interest of the film
I understant your point. I'm only saying that there's zero indications that Balder is in it and it wouldn't be the first time a major secondary character is cut from a movie adaptation. That's all.
Yes, and there's no reason to believe that this will be a case of that. We didn't hear anything about Heimdall being included until Elba was cast, and that was only about a week ago. (Not to mention, Heimdall's role in the first draft was much smaller and he is a more minor character who could have been excluded much easier than Balder)
i think we have enough characters as it is balder would just make a spiderman 3 lol
Spider-Man 3's issue was bastardizing a few supporting characters and/or key plot points into one film, often terribly. It didn't know which villain to focus on and attempted to focus on three of them and flesh them all out, and in doing so the film never found its focus. Its problem was not including a few major supporting characters in supporting roles, aswould be the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"