The Official Batman Returns Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BatmanRules33 said:
wow........great stuff!!!! keep it comin if you have more!!!
That's all. I love this kind of "making of" stuff.

BatmanRules33 said:
IN MOVIES i mean. the keaton/pieffer relationship along with burtons incredible vision for the 2 characters are what IMO made them great. if it werent for burton, it probably would have sucked.

love burton.:up:

Well, the relationship (and natural chemistry) of Keaton and Pfeiffer certainly gave their performances that extra spark. No disagreements there.

But what did Burton have to do with that?

And in the comics, Batman and Catwoman are (and have always been) very passionate lovers, with a violent and slightly capricious twist. Their relationship in BR was *exactly* what it is in the comics. Burton did a good job bringing it to the screen -- and taking Keaton's suggestion and casting Michelle Pfeiffer was a good call...

But what was "Burton's incredible viision for the 2 characters" again?

Keyser Sushi said:
Well, the relationship (and natural chemistry) of Keaton and Pfeiffer certainly gave their performances that extra spark. No disagreements there.

But what did Burton have to do with that?

And in the comics, Batman and Catwoman are (and have always been) very passionate lovers, with a violent and slightly capricious twist. Their relationship in BR was *exactly* what it is in the comics. Burton did a good job bringing it to the screen -- and taking Keaton's suggestion and casting Michelle Pfeiffer was a good call...

But what was "Burton's incredible viision for the 2 characters" again?

ummmm,... thats exactly what i said. he had a vision for the characters that was romantic, yet it was off and twisted and i just couldnt see ANY one do it like burton did. he simply made some great films that were true to the spirit of batman for me, and yes, that was true to the comics, OH MAN, i actually found something that was true to the comics in a burton film, oh no!!:rolleyes:

seriously, your trying to find reasons for hateing burton and keaton. if you love bale so much, go to something called the begins forums and leave us burton fans alone, damnit you nolanites.

BatmanRules33 said:
ummmm,... thats exactly what i said. he had a vision for the characters that was romantic, yet it was off and twisted and i just couldnt see ANY one do it like burton did. he simply made some great films that were true to the spirit of batman for me, and yes, that was true to the comics, OH MAN, i actually found something that was true to the comics in a burton film, oh no!!:rolleyes:

There are a lot of things in the Burton films that are true to the comics, and I have never said otherwise. I think "Begins" got more things more right, but that doesn't mean that what Burton did wasn't valid. What I'm asking is, how was making the relationship true to the comics, "Burton's vision", that's all? Isn't that somebody else's vision that Burton just did a good job translating to the screen?

seriously, your trying to find reasons for hateing burton and keaton. if you love bale so much, go to something called the begins forums and leave us burton fans alone, damnit you nolanites.

You really don't listen well, man. Please go and find one single instance where I have EVER said that I didn't like Burton, or Keaton. You won't find it because I never said that. If I don't say that Keaton is the greatest, you think I'm bashing him. If I say that Burton isn't the best storyteller in the world, it's heresy. Everything has to be absolute with you. One thing has to be great and everything else has to blow chunks. There can't be anything in between with you.

What you don't understand is that most of us don't think like that. Just because I like one movie more, doesn't mean I have to hate all the others.

Keyser Sushi said:
What you don't understand is that most of us don't think like that. Just because I like one movie more, doesn't mean I have to hate all the others.

okay then, we'll play it your way. you may have never directly said anything horribly bad against burtons films (even though i know you have) but you certainly come off as a burton-basher. yes, you do.

and theres also something called "likeing one thing and not really likeing something else".

BatmanRules33 said:
okay then, we'll play it your way. you may have never directly said anything horribly bad against burtons films (even though i know you have) but you certainly come off as a burton-basher. yes, you do.

I have been CRITICAL of Burton's movies. Yes, I have. Very much so. But I have never said I didn't like them. "Bashing" something is to say that it's bad and not give any legitimate reasons for it. I don't do that. If I don't like something, I have reasons for it and I can explain them. And if I don't have reasons I can own up to that, too. I am critical of Burton because I feel that the movies he made were not very well-written, and I think that he is not a great storyteller. But I love Keaton's work, and I respect Burton, because he treated Batman with respect.

and theres also something called "likeing one thing and not really likeing something else".

This is true. But you see, a Batman fan would like BOTH Keaton and Bale, because they were both badass. That's not to say that a Batman fan would not like one over the other (as I certainly do) but I DO LIKE BOTH. It's a "nolanite" or a "burtonite" who likes one and doesn't like the other.

You are pro-Burton and anti-Nolan, and you accuse me of being the opposite. I am neither, and you don't know what to do with me.

BatmanRules33 said:

Yes, that is true, and yet everytime someone says they love Begins and hate 89 and Returns, you come back with something like:

"NO, KEATON DA MAN, BALE DA POSER, KEATON KILLA EYES!!!!!"

And then you post a close up picture of Keaton's eyes, which makes you seem very... odd.:confused:

Now honestly, this solves nothing, is inflammatory, and shows the only real reason you like 89 more is that you don't understand Batman and are unable to accept change.

BR33 is anti-Nolan and anti-Bale just so he can make his precious Michael Keaton and Tim Burton look better. Well, most of us have more class than that here, unlike BR33.

I happen to like BOTH, but prefer Nolan and Bale's approach. There's NOTHING wrong with that..............

snwboarder88 said:
Also the best...!

My main problems with BR were a total lack of focus and story. Was it about Batman? No. Was it about Penguin, Catwoman, Christopher Walken?

Not really, it focuses on them at different points and switches between plot points eratically. None of the characters are given full development. MAYBE Penguin. At least he had a (slight) reason for what he was doing. But even then... where did that whole Penguin character come from?! He seemed almost more like Killer Croc then Penguin. And then there's Catwoman, who falls, wakes up and is psychotic. Then at the end... what the hell was up with the army of Penguins? That is not any part of a serious movie, nor does it belong in a Batman film. Maybe the 60s series, but these supposedly serious movies. And again, what the hell did this film have to do with the source material?

Ultimately I find it truely odd that some fans are so reverent of these movies when the Spider-Man movies are still getting bashed for ORGANIC WEBSHOOTERS.:confused: At least those films focused on the actual titular character. And ultimately, these films miss the tone of Batman COMPLETELY. In my opinion, this is a bad film that doesn't take it's characters seriously, doesn't take it's plot seriously, and at some points disrespects the audience's intelligence.

Two Face said:
Begins is nothing to do with other Batman movies.

So, I know it's not a sequel but I can still compare it to the others. As when I said 6, I also meant The Adam West film which has nothing to do with the other Batman movies.

I just wanted to post pics:

batman_returns_ver2.jpg

batman_returns.jpg

Batman_returns.jpg

batmanreturns2.jpg

It also had a pretty cool poster. The second is my favorite, but the first doesn't work for me.

yeah...hopefully that will be the cover to the new dvd..but i will take either

Question:

Burton was interested in making Batman 3 after Batman Returns. However there were mixed reviews of people saying either it was darker than the first, lighter than the first, or it was scary and somethign children prolly shouldn't see. Which is why WB booted Burton off Batman 3.

But we love Batman Returns either like the first one, or more than the first one. Either way, its the best outta the four films.

But could someone explain the reason why the differences between then and now?

WB wanted Burton to go lighter, but he didn't so he left and reccomended Joel Schumacher. Joel credited Burton as a producer even though he did nothing for the movie.

Oh.

Well that's not true. Gotham does have gothic textures on somethings. And the elements in BF was kinda based on what Burton was going with his Batman 3.

Binker seems to really like Forever, and really dislike Returns.

Well I don't know all of what Batman 3 would have, but the redemption part in Batman 3 appears in BF as Bruce's redemption of his inner demons and reasons becoming the dark knight.

--- Going by the BF DC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"