The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it would be. Neither guy is known for their defense so it would probably turn into a slugfest. Mayweather's defense and how he adjust between rounds would be interesting as well. In all honesty, if I'm Paq or Mayweather, I'm going nowhere near Sergio. :o

The thing people need to realize about Floyd, and something that's always misconstrued, is that it's not about speed. Roy Jones was pure, unadulterated, twitch-y hand speed, and it's why once he slowed down just a hair, he started getting caught easily. While I do believe Floyd still has faster hands than Paq or Sergio, it's about anticipation based off his counter-punching.

He's not beating people to the punch because he's quicker, he's beating them because he's anticipating where it's coming from and getting there first. Whether it's the lead right hand he started finding Mosley & Ortiz with, or the uppercut he started catching Cotto with, once he finds something effective, he uses it to beat opponents to the spot.

People don't even fight Floyd the same way they do other boxers because of this. The approach is different because once in the ring, they have to take a more measured tactic, simply because Floyd's ability to block while staying in the pocket for a counter makes him much faster on the draw. Cotto is the perfect example, because had he approached the Manny fight with the same patience and technique he did with Floyd, the outcome may have been different. But he knows just like everybody else that Pac is coming out swinging wildly and he chose to engage that.

JMM is nowhere near as quick as Pac, but he touches him quite easily with the same technique. You multiply that ability by 100 with Floyd & I highly doubt either Sergio or Pac would even try to approach Floyd the same way they do everybody else once they see it firsthand. It just won't work.

On top of that, both Pac & Sergio have suspect chins IMO. People make a big deal about Floyd being caught by Mosley or Cotto, like it's the first time lol, it just lets me know they haven't been following him that long. Zab Judah, Chop Chop Corley and Manny Burton all caught Floyd with harder, cleaner shots. De La Hoya (who was just as big as JCC was last night) hit him with some good shots. His chin is probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

Last edited:
what is everyone's thoughts on canelo dude is extremely impressive dude looks hard to beat his boxing is phenomenal with his speed and power with a great chin and his defense is stellar aswell

at just 22 and 41-0 the skies the limit

what is everyone's thoughts on canelo dude is extremely impressive dude looks hard to beat his boxing is phenomenal with his speed and power with a great chin and his defense is stellar aswell

at just 22 and 41-0 the skies the limit

I believe Canelo (unlike Chavez Jr) is ready for the big shows and big names. The kid is a very good boxer and he showcases improvements [whether it be on offense or defense] with every fight he takes. At 22, Alvarez has a damn bright future.

He wants Mayweather next, but I think he's far too young to challenge the P4P King right now. I hope he takes the Cotto fight instead, and builds on his arsenal.

The thing people need to realize about Floyd, and something that's always misconstrued, is that it's not about speed. Roy Jones was pure, unadulterated, twitch-y hand speed, and it's why once he slowed down just a hair, he started getting caught easily. While I do believe Floyd still has faster hands than Paq or Sergio, it's about anticipation based off his counter-punching.

He's not beating people to the punch because he's quicker, he's beating them because he's anticipating where it's coming from and getting there first. Whether it's the lead right hand he started finding Mosley & Ortiz with, or the uppercut he started catching Cotto with, once he finds something effective, he uses it to beat opponents to the spot.

People don't even fight Floyd the same way they do other boxers because of this. The approach is different because once in the ring, they have to take a more measured tactic, simply because Floyd's ability to block while staying in the pocket for a counter makes him much faster on the draw. Cotto is the perfect example, because had he approached the Manny fight with the same patience and technique he did with Floyd, the outcome may have been different. But he knows just like everybody else that Pac is coming out swinging wildly and he chose to engage that.

JMM is nowhere near as quick as Pac, but he touches him quite easily with the same technique. You multiply that ability by 100 with Floyd & I highly doubt either Sergio or Pac would even try to approach Floyd the same way they do everybody else once they see it firsthand. It just won't work.

On top of that, both Pac & Sergio have suspect chins IMO. People make a big deal about Floyd being caught by Mosley or Cotto, like it's the first time lol, it just lets me know they haven't been following him that long. Zab Judah, Chop Chop Corley and Manny Burton all caught Floyd with harder, cleaner shots. De La Hoya (who was just as big as JCC was last night) hit him with some good shots. His chin is probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

Pretty much this.

I loath Mayweather Jr, but one cannot deny what he's capable of doing inside the ring. Floyd is the consensus number one boxer on the planet because of his abilities to defend and attack.

The Marquez fight perfectly highlights that. Yeah, Juan wasn't precisely the fighter he was in his mid-twenties when the Mayweather showdown transpired, but JMM was no pushover. Shortly after that bout, Marquez convincingly beat Pacquiao in their third meeting.

Keep in mind, Marquez landed some clean and powerful shots right on the button but Floyd shrugged them off.

I believe Canelo (unlike Chavez Jr) is ready for the big shows and big names. The kid is a very good boxer and he showcases improvements [whether it be on offense or defense] with every fight he takes. At 22, Alvarez has a damn bright future.

He wants Mayweather next, but I think he's far too young to challenge the P4P King right now. I hope he takes the Cotto fight instead, and builds on his arsenal.
agree but not sure if he will get cotto yet i think he will get either kirkland or ortiz before a possible cotto fight

Yeah well if you were getting your arse pounded for 11 rounds and couldn't hit dude at all, you'd get high to. :o Seriously, I'm not surprised. JCC JR. is EVERYTHING that is wrong with boxing. Sloppy work ethic, fighting way out of his weight class, tight pink underwear, drugs, drinking, not training hard at all, fighting bad fighters. Had he won, it would have sent the message to all boxers that it's ok to go half arse.

I'm expecting the 2012 Fight of the Year to come out of HBO's upcoming Donaire-Nishioka/Rios-Alvarado card.

I'm not. Donaire is so overrated its funny.

What does that have to do with how excellent the match up is? Gatti was often overrated because he was exciting, and he took part in many a Fight of the Year.

Well, it appears that Canelo could be facing Gabriel Rosado (21-5). What a shame, if true. The guy is a nobody but he's using the Mexican-Puerto Rican rivalry angle to conjure up a fight. Oh well.

My gawd I hope that isn't true. If it is, I'm giving JCC Jr more credit for fighting a top p4p fighter while Canelo continues to fight cupcakes. I hope it's not true though.

Me too. I hope Alvarez let's Rosado talk ****, and fights Cotto next instead. Canelo has nothing to prove to Gabriel. If anything, Rosado is the one who needs to prove something to Alvarez.

That's still better than the rumors of Canelo fighting Maidana. But I don't see why Golden Boy doesn't just match him against K9. That's an exciting fight, an easy victory, and another belt on Canelo's mantle. Plus, K9 is a legit 154-pounder. Everybody wins.

What do people think about the Olympic amateur boxers?

That's still better than the rumors of Canelo fighting Maidana. But I don't see why Golden Boy doesn't just match him against K9. That's an exciting fight, an easy victory, and another belt on Canelo's mantle. Plus, K9 is a legit 154-pounder. Everybody wins.

Maidana is actually a good fighter but are they even in the same division? If Canelo does fight him, that would be two consecutive fighters he has fought that he outweighs considerably. :doh:

Anyone watching Rios-Alvarado? This is a fight of the year contender! :wow:

Rios Alvarado was a war. But I think it was stopped a tad too early. Imagine Holyfield Bowe Round 10, Holyfield was in a worse spot, imagine that being stopped early. Rios doesnt have skills but he has the will and heart.

Donaire completely dominated and TKO'd Nishioka, who many considered as the super bantamweight. He easily beats top rated world class champions and former champions like Darchinyan, Montiel, Vasquez and now Nishioka, I don't think he is overrated.

Rios Alvarado was a war. But I think it was stopped a tad too early. Imagine Holyfield Bowe Round 10, Holyfield was in a worse spot, imagine that being stopped early. Rios doesnt have skills but he has the will and heart.

Donaire completely dominated and TKO'd Nishioka, who many considered as the super bantamweight. He easily beats top rated world class champions and former champions like Darchinyan, Montiel, Vasquez and now Nishioka, I don't think he is overrated.
Agreed that fight was stopped way to soon. But we disagree about Donaire. I mean, he's good but he's also a protected fighter and that's the worst kind.

I disagree, for being the smaller man, Rios never really seemed all that hurt by Alvarado, even early on when he was getting caught with the heavy stuff. I didn't see anyway Alvarado would've changed the tide after the punishment he was starting to sustain. Mike is a tough guy, they both are, but he was slow to put his hands up when the ref asked him to, to me, he was clearly on his way out.

Rios didn't seem hurt!? I saw differently.

I didn't think he did at all. He took everything Alvarado had early on, there was no way Alvarado would've mounted some sort of comeback down the stretch

You also said Kobe is a team player with a straight face. Yeah, I went there and I brought it here. :o

We both know your disdain for him knows no bounds, but I won't derail this thread responding to your shenanigans. Needless to say, if your concerned about anything, it should be your precious Knicks winning a playoff series :word:...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back