The Official Boxing Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young Tyson was fun to watch, no doubt about it. Great power, terrific handspeed, and that peek-a-boo stance and upper body movement that made him so hard to hit. "Iron" Mike was a fearsome boxer in the late eighties, and that fear - the kind that paralyzed his opponents and took the fight right out of them before the opening bell had even rung - was his most effective tool.

However, when he finally faced a guy who truly wasn't afraid of losing, a guy who was fighting not merely to survive, but to win, the "Baddest Man on the Planet" found himself on the losing end of a 42:1 upset - courtesy of Buster Douglas, the wasted potential one-hit wonder.

It could be argued that Tyson was all hype, a flash in the pan who looked great dropping bums and no-hopes, but got his ass handed to him whenever he stepped up in competition and faced the true greats of his era (namely, Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis). Before losing to Douglas, Tyson's best wins were a blown up light-heavyweight in Michael Spinks (a good win, but expected, and hardly great) and the great Larry Holmes, who, although a legendary heavyweight, was lured out of retirement with a fat paycheck at almost 40 years of age (a young, in-shape Holmes takes that fight easy).

Outside of the ring, Tyson's headcase antics garnered him more lasting fame than his in-ring exploits. He was a drug-abusing sexual predator, a punk who ultimately carried that psychotic imbalance with him into the ring, getting himself disqualified for mauling Evander Holyfield in their infamous rematch. Some respect for the sport that act was. :whatever: And make no mistake, professional boxing in Tyson's era was just as much about money as it is now. Tyson himself made more than 300 million dollars over the course of his career, and, after he had pissed it all away, was forced back into the ring late in his career, again fighting nobodies (although, in an ironic reversal, he would be the one getting knocked out this time around) for whatever last bits of money that could be dredged from depths of the popularity of his name.

But it could also be said that their were other sides to Tyson, that circumstances in his life conspired against him and left a gentle heart grossly misunderstood. Someone once said, and I forget who, that Mike Tyson was simultaneously smarter and dumber than we'll ever know. I think he was a punk, but it's probably best to leave it be.

Now, in terms of the boxing greats (boxing fans generally love such lists), were does "Iron" Mike rank? Well, leaving the pound-for-pound discussion aside (a ranking that disregards weight classes in favor of outright skill or ability when comparing fighters) - a discussion into which the name "Tyson" probably doesn't enter for the first 100 names or so - the greatest heavyweights are generally considered to be guys like Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, etc. Tyson, despite being the youngest heavyweight champion to date (edging out the perpetually gutsy Floyd Patterson by a matter of months), doesn't crack the top 10. Nor the top 15. The argument could be made for his position within the top 20, but I think a ranking like that that based more on his great unseen potential (if said unfulfilled potential did in fact exist, a prospect of which I"m personally not so sure) than his actual accomplishments. Ultimately, I'd say the "Baddest Man on the Planet", although talented for a brief period, under the right supervision (he could do very little for himself), was more hype than not.

You make allot of valid arguments but the Douglas fight was more lost by Tyson then won by Douglas. Tyson was overweight and unprepared for the fight. This was not the same Tyson that put away Spinks in under 2 minutes of the first round.

Tyson is maybe not in the top 10 of all time but he was the best heavyweight of the latter part of the 80s.

Cotto just got stole on, damn what a beating he took

any word on oscar diaz's condition ?
last i heard he was in a medically induced coma

Last I heard Diaz was supposed to recover.

Dayum, what a beating Cotto took!! That was one hell of a fight, I'm calling it, Fight of the Year!

Early on Cotto was boxing beautifully and beating Marg, but his will eventually took over and beat Cotto.

You'd need a sledge hammer and a gun to take down Margarito, his chin is made of granite or adamantium, he just laughed at those bombs Cotto was throwing at him early in the fight.

i read on alo that mr diaz has come out of his coma and is expected to recover

Read the same thing in the LA Times. Good news.

De La Hoya-Pacquiao tonight. Someone better be as hyped as I am.

I am!

Already ordered, $65 bucks in HD.

Im pumped. Im gonna say DLH wins, the height and reach advantage gives him the edge. We'll see.

I'm a huge Pacman fan, but an even bigger De La Hoya one. If Oscar doesn't knock the Filipino out, I will literally cry tears.

Wow, cry for DLH? Either way im pumped. Know anything on the under card?

I've been watching him since before the Olympics.

Juan Manuel Lopez should be fun to watch.

First PPV I've ever ordered. Mandatory for filipinos though. I CAN'T WAIT!

What a phenomenal performance by Pacman...he absolutelly destroyed De La Hoya.

Amazing speed,head movement,power...unbelievable perfomance.

Pac Man, humiliated DLH very badly what a great performance

PAC MAN 4 EVER

that was the biggest Mexicution I've ever seen. Best $56 I've ever spent.

That goddamned fight RUINED the party I threw last night. Everyone was in a terrible mood after we had to watch a listless De La Hoya get killed by Manny's speed. Anyone who still thinks that Joe Calzaghe is #1 pound-for-pound is ******ed, and it's time for Oscar to hang 'em up. He got old in one night. I cried.

Manny! My boy!

I myself am Filipino kid and come from Toronto which has a pretty big Filipino community and watching the fight was amazing...The atmosphere at my house was crazy!

Pac Man was amazing yesterday...Way too fast for that geezer Oscar! Way too fast!

"Manny's reconfiguring Oscar's beautiful face!" Hahahaha! Manny shut Oscar's eye for the rest of his life baby!

Diaz (Manny's last fight in the summer) even put up a better fight!

I'm scared for a Hatton fight though...

Last edited:
Manny! My boy!

I myself am Filipino kid and come from Toronto which has a pretty big Filipino community and watching the fight was amazing...The atmosphere at my house was crazy!

We were all in different cities but everyone in my family watched it. It was mandatory viewing for filipinos. Pretty much every filipino, family or friend, I called after the fight answered the phone "oh my God!"

That goddamned fight RUINED the party I threw last night. Everyone was in a terrible mood after we had to watch a listless De La Hoya get killed by Manny's speed. Anyone who still thinks that Joe Calzaghe is #1 pound-for-pound is ******ed, and it's time for Oscar to hang 'em up. He got old in one night. I cried.

Sorry man, yeah i was pretty disappointed too. I did not see it ending up like that. Wow, that was total domination.

I missed it, but it was obvious who was going to win all along. Oscars been a choke artist forever.

''Floyd Mayweather plans return for Manny Pacquiao''

Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants to fight again and has reached out to his father about returning in a training capacity after their estrangement for most of the last eight years, family members said Monday.

Janelle Mayweather, the boxer's cousin, told family members he called her early Sunday morning -- moments after Manny Pacquiao's stirring win over Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday night in Las Vegas -- and stated his hopes to fight again and reunite with his father.

"My niece said my son told her he wanted to fight Pacquiao next, and that he wants me to train him for the fight," Mayweather Sr. said.

Bernice Mayweather said she was not surprised to hear her grandson -- a five-division champion with a 39-0 record, who last fought Dec. 8, 2007 -- wants to return to the ring.

"I always said he was going to fight again," she said. "It was just a matter of time. He was waiting until the time is right. And the time is right. I knew he was going to come out of retirement -- he did it before, didn't he?"

Janelle Mayweather disclosed her conversation with Mayweather Jr. to family members Sunday at Bernice Mayweather's home on the southeast side. She did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

Latisha Starling, another cousin of the boxer's, also was at Sunday's family get-together.

Starling said she was on the phone with Janelle Mayweather throughout the Pacquiao-De La Hoya fight, "kind of giving her play-by-play."

"Right after the fight ended and I hung up, Janelle said her phone rang again and she thought it was me. But it was Little Floyd, saying he wanted to fight Pacquiao and he had to get in touch with his father," Starling said.

Fatimah Mayweather, the boxer's sister, also told family members she received a call from her brother, hoping to discuss resuming a working relationship with Mayweather Sr.

http://www.mlive.com/boxing/index.ssf/2008/12/mayweather_sr_floyd_wants_me_t.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"