The Official Boxing Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ward needs to fight whoever wins that fight. I personally think Ward is #2 to Floyd on my personal list, but I really feel Andre is B-Hop resurrected. He can box and brawl with equal effectiveness. He just needs more quality opponents to gain notoriety.

As far as the Chavez-Martinez bout goes, to me, if JCC shows up 20 pounds heavier, he should win. It won't mean he's a better boxer, to me he's clearly not, but he'll feel comfortable going inside and laying on Sergio and have the advantage doing it. Then hopefully he'll go to a more natural division for him and try to do that against guys the same size, we'll see what he's really about...

Last edited:
No way is Ward above Floyd right now. He's good but he hasn't done enough yet to pass Floyd. I really don't see how Donaire is top 5 p5p, who has he beaten? I think dude is clearly overrated. As far as Chavez beating Martinez, it's not going to happen. Sergio's style is going to give Jr problems. The problem about protecting fighters is it hurts them long term and Chavez is not ready for this fight and never will be. But we agree Doc that the winner should fight Ward, but it won't happen. They are to busy trying to drop weight and fight Floyd. Oh and Kobe sucks. :o

No way is Ward above Floyd right now. He's good but he hasn't done enough yet to pass Floyd. I really don't see how Donaire is top 5 p5p, who has he beaten? I think dude is clearly overrated. As far as Chavez beating Martinez, it's not going to happen. Sergio's style is going to give Jr problems. The problem about protecting fighters is it hurts them long term and Chavez is not ready for this fight and never will be. But we agree Doc that the winner should fight Ward, but it won't happen. They are to busy trying to drop weight and fight Floyd. Oh and Kobe sucks. :o

I put Ward over Floyd because Ward has faced the toughest opponents he could face at 168 (except Bute, who was dominated by Froch anyway). And he fought more regularly than Floyd. Since 2010, Floyd has only fought 3 times so far, an out of prime Mosley, a mismatched Ortiz, and Cotto who was dominated by Pacquiao already.

As for Donaire, he murdered a top 10 pound for pounder Bantamweight Fernando Montiel, and hasn't lost in quite some time. He also dominated a quality boxer like Vasquez Jr. when he moved up the Super Bantamweight division.

Last edited:
I think Ward is great and you are right, he cleaned his division, but still it's to early. It's like saying Lebron is better than Kobe after he won one ring but Kobe has 5. It's going to take time but he's out to a good start. As far as Donaire, have you seen him in the ring beside the guys he fights? He looks like a giant! It's Chavez fighting as a jr. Middleweight when the guy is really light heavyweight. I like Donaire but he's like a big fish in a small pond, beating up smaller fish. I can't ever see this guy reaching Manny's level because he's not fighting anyone at all.

I never cared for the height-weight thing. Mike Tyson is 5'11'', and he was a heavyweight, Thomas Hearns was junior middleweight and welterweight and he's 6'1''! People are just built different from each other. The same with Donaire, he was more devastating at bantamweight than super bantamweight. But he's got to rise in weight and beat the top dogs in order to be real elite.

I never cared for the height-weight thing. Mike Tyson is 5'11'', and he was a heavyweight, Thomas Hearns was junior middleweight and welterweight and he's 6'1''! People are just built different from each other. The same with Donaire, he was more devastating at bantamweight than super bantamweight. But he's got to rise in weight and beat the top dogs in order to be real elite.

Like you said though, it's about how they're built, specifically in bone.

Tyson was only 5'11, but he's naturally a Heavyweight, whereas someone like Evander, who's very muscular, is more of a "gym" Heavyweight, somebody who built muscle (and took some roids :cwink:) to achieve and sustain his weight. Even still, he's not as densely structured as a true Heavyweight.

It's the same dynamic at play with Donaire & JCC, they're both structured to naturally carry more weight then their current class would suggest, and at least in JCC's case, I think it's the only reason he's lasted this long with his style of fighting. I believe he has a chance to beat Sergio primarily because of this factor. I don't know how well Sergio can stand up to someone he can't put any space between.

No way is Ward above Floyd right now. He's good but he hasn't done enough yet to pass Floyd. I really don't see how Donaire is top 5 p5p, who has he beaten? I think dude is clearly overrated. As far as Chavez beating Martinez, it's not going to happen. Sergio's style is going to give Jr problems. The problem about protecting fighters is it hurts them long term and Chavez is not ready for this fight and never will be. But we agree Doc that the winner should fight Ward, but it won't happen. They are to busy trying to drop weight and fight Floyd.

I agree its too early, but I've been telling you guys for over a year now that Andre is the real deal. I think he'll be the P4P best throughout this decade when it's all said and done.

I still feel Martinez is going to have problems getting JCC off of him, and creating that space to engage him properly. Over time, it could wear him down. In no way, shape or form do I think JCC is an equal boxer or talent, but I think his size allows him to do the one thing he does pretty well, inside fighting.

Oh and Kobe sucks. :o

Now now Doc, this isn't the place for that. Although I know what you really meant to say was the NY Knicks suck!

Last edited:
So are you predicting Chavez is going to win? I got Sergio by knock out around the 9th or 10 the round.

So are you predicting Chavez is going to win? I got Sergio by knock out around the 9th or 10 the round.

I'm still on the fence, I was actually going to put some money on it (I usually do for big fights) but I really, honestly, think if JCC succeeds in putting Sergio on the ropes or in the corner, he'll beat him. He'll have to walk through some fire to do it, but he seems to have a solid chin.

And depending on breakfast/lunch, he could be walking around with his usual weight advantage, even though he somewhat tried to discipline himself and train this time, probably because 24/7 was around. That being said, he still stood Freddie up, and held "shadowboxing" sessions in his living room as opposed to the gym, so who knows what this guy might do...

*In Rob Parker voice* No way, no how is JCC Jr. Going to win this fight! He's going to have a hard time hitting Sergio. Plus the thing about a fighter that is protected is eventually it catches up with you. Dude hasn't faced anyone close to Sergio, who has power and speed. He's going to wear Jr out and knock him out early tenth round. Book it!

Eh, I wouldn't count out JCC Jr simply because he's fought a bunch of cans, and he's undisciplined. Chavez Jr still possesses a solid chin and the size advantage. Not to mention he inherited his father's uppercut.

If Chavez Jr manages to push Sergio up against the ropes and land a few of those uppercuts, then we could very well end up with an upset. It's hardly impossible.

I personally believe 'Canelo' Alvarez to be the better prospect out of the two, but if JCC Jr finds a way to get his **** together, then who knows?

I agree Canelo is the better of the two but that's not saying much. Sergio is way ahead of Chavez Jr. and Mayweather is way ahead of Canelo. Neither of the two would win against their prospective opponents and we'll find out about one of them tonight. Sergio by knock out. Chavez's chin isn't that good.

At this stage, I agree. Both Canelo and Chavez Jr are young (especially Alvarez), and untested. They need to fight tougher opponents, and JCC Jr has gotten his first real test. So it'll be interesting to see if Chavez Jr can step up. He's a spoiled brat but JCC Jr is talented. We'll see how legit Chavez Jr's chin is soon enough but he, at times, reminds me of Margarito walking through power shots.

Anyone watching the fight Martinez is putting a grade A arse whooping on Chavez.

What is wrong with you guys?! :argh: What a freakin 12th round! :wow: Why didn't Sergio run? But it did show that he is human.

lmao why are they trying to force a rematch lolol

dude clowned him and taunted him with his hands down for 12 full rounds

one good round doesn't deserve a rematch

lmao why are they trying to force a rematch lolol

dude clowned him and taunted him with his hands down for 12 full rounds

one good round doesn't deserve a rematch

I have no idea why Chavez Jr is being built up like this, he gets dominated for 11 rds wins the 12th and now 'the powers that be' are angling for a rematch, it makes no sense

jr's blown up ass got absolutely clowned. by a smaller man too. but that last round would justify a rematch as far as HBO is concerned.

canelo would get his ass handed to him by martinez too. i like the kid, but I'm tired of him not fighting jr middleweights.

I don't know what JCC Jr's strategy was but it clearly sucked (standing around, throwing 1-26 punches a round). His performance was appalling and baffling. Chavez Jr didn't utilize his size nowhere near enough, and when he did bully Martinez into the ropes/corner, there was hardly aggression. He'd just stare at Sergio half the time instead of engaging.

Yeah, he rocked Martinez badly in the 12th, but where was that the entire night?! Why didn't Julio do that in the 6th?????

It's apparent that Chavez Jr has alot maturing to do as a fighter, but he, at least, showcased some of his potential... even if it was too little too late.

Eh, after seeing what Canelo did tonight, I'd give him a better shot at beating Martinez than Chavez Jr. Alvarez is more well-rounded and possesses above average KO power.

the difference is, alvarez was in there with a guy who was a jr welter 2 fights ago. chavez jr new better then to step on the fight night scales cause he'd make a mockery of the weight divisions. there's no doubt the guy was a cruiserweight in there tonight.

I actually don't see anyone beating Martinez any time soon, including Mayweather or Paq. Dude is the real deal. I think him and Ward would be a better fight.

I actually don't see anyone beating Martinez any time soon, including Mayweather or Paq. Dude is the real deal. I think him and Ward would be a better fight.

Dude, Martinez almost lost tonight. He's far from invincible. Had Chavez Jr let his hands go earlier, then we might have seen a different fight. Alas...

I don't think Martinez could handle 168 division. The next fight should be Alvarez and Martinez if Alvarez is willing to go up to middleweight.

Julio got outclassed, but showed heart and a great chin. He needs to train like an elite fighter if he wants to be elite.

No rematch please, it wasn't even close.

What would have happened if the fight was 15 rounds? I think Sergio would have found a way to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"