Superman Returns The Official Bryan Singer Thread

So you think little kids have posters on their walls of that version of Superman?

The Donner Superman is still the most popular and recognizable version of the character there is to the masses. Going by the BO and reviews, I think they liked the film enough to warrant an action-packed sequel featuring a new supervillain. Done right and marketed well, like Singer says, I'm pretty sure it'd have done better business than SR. But that's me. Now, everyone tell me how wrong I am. lol

You won't show people a pic of Christopher Reeve and they will go "Oh, the guy from 'Somewhere in Time'"? Nor you will play the Donner's movies Superman theme and they'll go "What's that, like Batman or something?" :oldrazz:

If SR had more CGI action and a supervilliain for the masses no one would be talking about how wrong the Donner-verse is/was/would be.

Last edited:
We? :huh: Somehow, I highly doubt that.. :cwink: But thanks for the kind words, though.
lol I think that quite a few on these forums dig you. Sure I wanna choke you sometimes but I usually have love, hate relationships with people. I believe "internet frienimies" is the correct way to discribe our relationship.

This must be the first time I ever heard you call another gal here as "dear". :oldrazz:
I've been here since September of 03, I'd be surprised if I hadn't called another chick "dear" before. Too many posts to look at to figure out this "great" mistery.:oldrazz:

You won't show people a pic of Christopher Reeve and they will go "Oh, the guy from 'Somewhere in Time'"? Nor you will play the Donner's movies Superman theme and they'll go "What's that, like Batman or something?" :oldrazz:

If SR had more CGI action and a supervilliain for the masses no one would be talking about how wrong the Donner-verse is/was/would be.
If SR kept everything the same and added CGI and a Supervillain I still wouldn't have liked it but I can't argue with you over the fact that the "masses" probably would have taken to it better.

Last edited:

Word. Couldn't have said it better.

Agreed. :up:

lol I think that quite a few on these forums dig you. Sure I wanna choke you sometimes but I usually have love, hate relationships with people. I believe "internet frienimies" is the correct way to discribe our relationship.

Same here, my dear. :woot:

And now that I think about it, I'm sure El Payaso really digs me. As do I. :word:

So you think little kids have posters on their walls of that version of Superman? :cwink:

The Donner Superman is still the most popular and recognizable version of the character there is to the masses. Going by the BO and reviews, I think they liked the film enough to warrant an action-packed sequel featuring a new supervillain. Done right and marketed well, like Singer says, I'm pretty sure it'd have done better business than SR. But that's me. Now, everyone tell me how wrong I am. lol

Honestly though, I respect what STM did for comic book movies, but I really can't stand the film. The only people who care for it are the few people who still think about that film on this board.

I still can't believe how SR got made. Its almost as absured as making a vague sequel to the 1966 batman film/ series. STM was really campy and for nerds who literally rip new adaptations apart I'm surprised people are afraid to even trash the film once in a while.

Same here, my dear. :woot:

And now that I think about it, I'm sure El Payaso really digs me. As do I. :word:
I'm sure he does.

I don't particularly understand El Payso but I'm actually starting to um...not dislike him, maybe even...like him. And thats saying alot because for years...it wasn't pretty. Shhh, don't tell him.:o

Honestly though, I respect what STM did for comic book movies, but I really can't stand the film. The only people who care for it are the few people who still think about that film on this board.

I still can't believe how SR got made. Its almost as absured as making a vague sequel to the 1966 batman film/ series. STM was really campy and for nerds who literally rip new adaptations apart I'm surprised people are afraid to even trash the film once in a while.
I could kiss you...I could seriously just freakin kiss you.

Last edited:

i wouldnt say the only people on here who care about it.....alot of the general public hold the donner films close to their heart

Of course people do, and theres nothing wrong with that. But I remember before SR and still sometimes now, even though its boring around here, many posters still say STM can't be top'd. Thats a little much. Someone said a great statement once. STM is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it really helped put the comic book film on the map. A curse because its really left superman in the dust in terms of other heroes stomping all over him.

Watching spider-man, iron man, x-men, and batman begins I still can't honestly believe someone with half a vision of a trilogy hasnt walked in to WB and grabbed superman by the balls and said this series needs to be rebooted.

I'm sure some do but obviously it wasn't enough. If alot of people still hold it close to their hearts why didn't SR do better?

Indy 4 was the sequel to a long gone series and it made over 300mil

StarWars episode one was the prequel to a beloved series and it did over 400mil, about ten years ago.

If "Superman: The Movie" was that beloved I think that it would have easily passed 300mil.

I'm sure some do but obviously it wasn't enough. If alot of people still hold it close to their hearts why didn't SR do better?

StarWars episode one was the prequel to a beloved series and it did over 400mil, about ten years ago.

If "Superman: The Movie" was that beloved I think that it would have easily passed 300mil.
your missing the point i was refering to...and i wasnt trying to get into a box office battle like what the tendency in here tends turn into when someone's trying to prove a point.....but yes many people do feel like it cant be topped....and making whatever SR made had nothing to do with donner....it was the story and the plot line that made the box office results

Proving that the relevance of a movie 30 years old has little to do with impression and appeal to the audience. Thus, nullifying the notion that the Donnerverse is universally beloved and can't be changed/replaced/topped/thrown to oblivion for ever.

I'm glad that in the end of the day, we all agree that Singer screwed one way or the other. Yay.

Donner movies should've been left in the 70's and in good memory as a nostalgic feeling. Superman needs to be rebooted for the 21st century. THe characters have evolved in a lot of ways since that time, especially the way tney are treated and the villains. No more corny villains with stupid land plots and Superman doing outlandish things like spinning back earth or lifting an island....oh wait...

Hey, lifting an island is not that bad. As long as it's not made of freaking Kryptonite.

No, people nowdays are much more jaded and cynical than when STM came out. They expected superfights and lots of action, like in all the other superhero movies, and SR didnt have that; it was a more mature, dramatic and character-driven film, which I loved.

Hey, lifting an island is not that bad. As long as it's not made of freaking Kryptonite.

It wasn't made of pure freaking kryptonite, though. :cwink:

No, people nowdays are much more jaded and cynical than when STM came out. They expected superfights and lots of action, like in all the other superhero movies, and SR didnt have that; it was a more mature, dramatic and character-driven film, which I loved.
I think that you can predict my response to this post. *Insert my disagreement here*

Nothing against it being mature and character driven, but if you don't give Superman a physical threat it just screams of missed opportunity. Throwing in a super villain wouldn't suddenly turn the Movie into a brainless popcorn flick. Villains like Brainiac and Darkseid could add a whole new layer of Drama.

The X-Men were mature and character driven, yet didn't skip on the action.

I didn't find Superman Returns mature in the least, as for the X-films...don't get me started.

bravo I SEE SPIDEY

i agree with your examples with indy 4 and star wars. both movies had a big budget and at the same time............action. i understan that even if SR was having more action you wouldnt like it. kid,.....

but it is what it is. action and money shots. after all it was a 200 million movie.

Of course people do, and theres nothing wrong with that. But I remember before SR and still sometimes now, even though its boring around here, many posters still say STM can't be top'd. Thats a little much. Someone said a great statement once. STM is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it really helped put the comic book film on the map. A curse because its really left superman in the dust in terms of other heroes stomping all over him.

Watching spider-man, iron man, x-men, and batman begins I still can't honestly believe someone with half a vision of a trilogy hasnt walked in to WB and grabbed superman by the balls and said this series needs to be rebooted.
I think plenty of pitches have prolly been made but maybe the powers that be at W.B. thought S:TM couldnt be topped, and maybe thats the reason we're in the mess we're in.
One could argue that Burton and Mc G and perhaps Abrams were gonna change all that, but still, those films didnt happen...

( not directed at you) The fact that S.R. was a drama filled character driven film is all well and good, and i'm glad some here loved it, but it cost W.B. the possibility of a sequel happening..

Last edited:
Same here, my dear.

And now that I think about it, I'm sure El Payaso really digs me. As do I.

:meow::heart:

You’ll be surprised of how many people still remembers this movie as a very good one out there. People still see Christopher Reeve and listen to John Williams’ theme and instantly thinks of Superman.

I still can't believe how SR got made. Its almost as absured as making a vague sequel to the 1966 batman film/ series.

The absurdity ends when you realise STM was the first truly serious film about a superhero and Batman the series was crap from almost every point of view (except that it was catchy).

Sure, the camp factor is still in STM, but it was a giant step forwards. Specially in an industry that never allows you to divert from what’s already established. After 30 years it’s the easiest thing to look back and yawn, “bah, they could have made better.”

STM was really campy and for nerds who literally rip new adaptations apart I'm surprised people are afraid to even trash the film once in a while.

Do you really think fear is what help them from trashing the movie out there?

At least in these boards is like a cool trend now. And a new way to say “Singer’s movie was inherently wrong. It was wrong before it started its shooting.”

But I myself have a list of things I can laugh at in STM. When I hear an interesting point I enjoy debati8ng it. But calling everything “camp” because it wasn’t made under today’s standards and sensibilities or “30 years old” as a bad thing... well... 2002’s Green Goblin had a big amount of campiness. Oh, but that made big numbers.

I'm sure he does.

I don't particularly understand El Payso but I'm actually starting to um...not dislike him, maybe even...like him. And thats saying alot because for years...it wasn't pretty. Shhh, don't tell him.

Relax. Many girls pass through the exact same process with El Payaso. Repressing the feelings gives up eventually. :)

Of course people do, and theres nothing wrong with that. But I remember before SR and still sometimes now, even though its boring around here, many posters still say STM can't be top'd. Thats a little much.

Man, fans have said Batman begins was made thanks to Batman & Robin. Or that the Joker shouldn’t be ever reprised because Legder died. You can’t judge a movie because of what people say about it. I’d be hating TDK, if for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"