The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you root, Titanium Backup Pro is essential. I never buy apps or games, but this is worth the money.

Here's my must-haves. Some of them coincide with the simplicity of my screen layout, so it may be for you or may not be:

aCalender
Advanced Clock Widget
Alarm Clock Xtreme Free
Android Terminal Emulator
Brightest Flashlight Free
Circle Battery Widget
Dolphin Browser HD
Elixer Widgets
Equalizer (makes your sound a lot better when listening to Pandora/Slacker/TuneIn/IHeartRadio apps)
ES File Explorer
Fancy Widgets
Go Contacts Widget
Go Contacts EX
Go Launcher EX
Go Weather EX
Handcent SMS (best text app ever with lots of customization)
I was using that until I switched to Go SMS Pro. I like that interface more. I backup my texts, and Handcent always messed the order up when I restored them, Go SMS doesn't have that issue.

Have you used Chrome? I've had it since I got ICS but I installed Dolphin to try that out. Chrome isn't bad, but it feels kind of slow at times. Just wondering your thoughts on the 2.

I used this guide:
http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-its-factory-state-fxz-style.html#post3207009

Follow the instructions carefully, and make a Nandroid backup in case you need to flash back.
Thanks!

What's that Volume Control widget on the top left called? That's pretty awesome.
Volume Control +
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jYi52b2x1bWVQbHVzIl0.

You have a cool layout on your phone. I like how the background of Samus matches the theme/icons.

They're usually an intermediary service. With phones, they probably sell them to someone who fixes and sells them to be refurbs.

They're usually an intermediary service. With phones, they probably sell them to someone who fixes and sells them to be refurbs.

Those clever bastards. There was nothing wrong with my phone, it was practically mint condition.

Those clever bastards. There was nothing wrong with my phone, it was practically mint condition.

The service is more for people who don't want to deal with the hassle of selling their phones. It's not where you go to get fair value.

Even if there's nothing wrong with the phone, it's been used and any tune up (even factory reset) it gets counts as a refurb.

I was using that until I switched to Go SMS Pro. I like that interface more. I backup my texts, and Handcent always messed the order up when I restored them, Go SMS doesn't have that issue.
My wife converted to Go SMS for that same reason. I've toyed with it on hers, but I still like Handcent a lot better.
Have you used Chrome? I've had it since I got ICS but I installed Dolphin to try that out. Chrome isn't bad, but it feels kind of slow at times. Just wondering your thoughts on the 2.
I've never tried Chrome, but have tried other browsers. I find Dolphin to be a better experience.
Thanks, I'll definitely try this out. It looks to be a little more detailed than the Volume Locker app I have.
You have a cool layout on your phone. I like how the background of Samus matches the theme/icons.
Thanks.
I sold it for about $30 bucks :(
That's actually a good price for the phone.
The service is more for people who don't want to deal with the hassle of selling their phones. It's not where you go to get fair value.
Exactly. It's a convenience, so they take advantage of the ease.

I usually hang on to my previous phones to have a backup for myself and my wife in case something happens to our new phones. I'm one that also usually holds onto my phone for the full two year contract as well. Although I'm not sure how Verizon works with their new share everything plan.

I also waited a full 2 years before upgrading. It was my 2nd phone though; six months after buying it, the touch screen went crazy and I went and got a new one at the Sprint store; it was still under warranty. The 2nd phone was great until the latest Droid software upgrade, which meant longer loading time between programs and arriving back at the home screen.

It's just a surprise it went for so little, since it is 4G capable, runs a very recent Droid software update, and has the latest software. The only thing lacking on the phone is storage, which can be fixed with a good mini SD card. Are smart phones that readily available throughout the world that this 4G EVO is already obsolete?

I bought a new case for my phone. The one I currently have is alright but after seeing this on amazon for $3, I couldn't resist.

5akja.jpg

I also waited a full 2 years before upgrading. It was my 2nd phone though; six months after buying it, the touch screen went crazy and I went and got a new one at the Sprint store; it was still under warranty. The 2nd phone was great until the latest Droid software upgrade, which meant longer loading time between programs and arriving back at the home screen.

It's just a surprise it went for so little, since it is 4G capable, runs a very recent Droid software update, and has the latest software. The only thing lacking on the phone is storage, which can be fixed with a good mini SD card. Are smart phones that readily available throughout the world that this 4G EVO is already obsolete?
well in terms of sprint phones, the EVO 4g is outdated and obsolete unless rooted. It's still functional but the market has been saturated with phones in the last 2 years

My phone conked out today. It was fine most of the day, didn't really notice since I wasn't using it. I nodded off watching TV in my basement, checked the time and saw it was only 7:30. That didn't seem right, and then I saw it was 8:30. It also wasn't staying connected to WiFi and my Power Toggles widget wasn't working. My battery widget also said it was around 40% when it was actually under 20%. I charged it for maybe 45-60 min to get it up to 40%. I meant to do a factory reset but this forced my hand in doing it tonight. Backed up what I needed to and did it. Restoring it all with Titanium Backup so we'll see how it goes. I'm wondering if my battery is bad now. If there is a problem, maybe I'll get that free Droid Razr upgrade I tried to 3 months ago hahaha

I also waited a full 2 years before upgrading. It was my 2nd phone though; six months after buying it, the touch screen went crazy and I went and got a new one at the Sprint store; it was still under warranty.
I do the same when my phone has issues. I had one phone where I went through two, so they have me a different model.
Well, that's more HTC's fault. This past year they were making way too many phones, and dropped support for a lot of models, including some less than a year old. My wife has the Thunderbolt, and it's still up in the air as to whether it will get ICS.

Supposedly, HTC is cutting back on phones per quarter, so that proper support can be given. Needless to say, they have pissed a lot of their customer base.

Well, I found myself in a rather interesting predicament. My father recently upgraded his contract with AT&T and got himself a Samsung Galaxy SIII from a rather good LG flip phone. Well, after a few weeks with it he decides it's just too big for him and wants a smaller phone. He played with an iPhone 5 before upgrading and said he likes the size, but prefers Android. I tell him my old Samsung Galaxy S is about the same size and it has Android. He then offered me to trade his SIII for my SI.

I was planning to keep my SI, in case something happened to my Lumia, but for my Dad I will be willing to give it to him. The SIII is just a bonus. :grin:

He has good taste, Android FTW. Go away ''Apple''.

I have the Kyocera Rise by Virgin Mobile on the Sprint Nationwide Network/3G. I um...give the phone and it's network and whatever 3 out of 5 stars. It's usually $99.99...I got it in mid December ish for $49.99. Cause...I had money...and I was like 'Well, mate...just go for it'. As much as I hate AT&T, if AT&T had Virgin Mobile as it's pre-paid division it be 3.5/5. And according to Verizon TV Ads and it's Network lol and T-Mobile tv ads, Virgin Mobile Android Phones would always be at least 4 stars out of 5. Yet, I'm stuck on the Sprint Nationwide Network...oh well, at least I'm supporting a 3rd or 4th wheel.

I really don't understand why Sir Richard Branson(?) doesn't take Virgin Mobile to AT&T or Verizon. Sprint also has Boost Mobile.......I'm forgetful, Sprint owns Virgin USA...that why. Well...

I used this guide:
http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...-its-factory-state-fxz-style.html#post3207009

Follow the instructions carefully, and make a Nandroid backup in case you need to flash back.

As I mentioned above, I had to do a factory reset because of how weird my phone was acting. I've noticed Nova Launcher (and other apps) are much more responsive and feel to run smoother than before. I had actually had to do a reset twice. When I restored all my apps and system data with Titanium Backup, it got stuck in some Spanish error message and I couldn't get out of it any other way. So when I got it back up and re-rooted, I restored a few things at a time and mostly didn't restore system data.

I currently have an LG G2X P999 from T-Mobile but I don't really care for T-Mobile's coverage. My contract expires in June and I'm looking for a new phone. I've never had an iPhone but I know about it's capabilities and limitations... I pretty much want an iPhone 5 for the dependability and the myriad of cases that I can purchase for it. I like having a wallet type case for my phone so that I don't have to carry a wallet and phone separately... but finding a case that I like for a defunct Android device is... laborious.

LibidaLoca... I blame you, and thank you, for mentioning those Sony Xperia phones... now I have to weigh the convenience of having an iPhone 5 and the awesomeness of what might possibly be the best smartphones ever.

Well, I found myself in a rather interesting predicament. My father recently upgraded his contract with AT&T and got himself a Samsung Galaxy SIII from a rather good LG flip phone. Well, after a few weeks with it he decides it's just too big for him and wants a smaller phone. He played with an iPhone 5 before upgrading and said he likes the size, but prefers Android. I tell him my old Samsung Galaxy S is about the same size and it has Android. He then offered me to trade his SIII for my SI.

I was planning to keep my SI, in case something happened to my Lumia, but for my Dad I will be willing to give it to him. The SIII is just a bonus. :grin:
So now you have an SIII in your possession!?!
jonah-hill-mars-volta.gif

As I mentioned above, I had to do a factory reset because of how weird my phone was acting. I've noticed Nova Launcher (and other apps) are much more responsive and feel to run smoother than before. I had actually had to do a reset twice. When I restored all my apps and system data with Titanium Backup, it got stuck in some Spanish error message and I couldn't get out of it any other way. So when I got it back up and re-rooted, I restored a few things at a time and mostly didn't restore system data.
You needed to do a FDR anyway, so it kind of worked out. :woot:
I currently have an LG G2X P999 from T-Mobile but I don't really care for T-Mobile's coverage. My contract expires in June and I'm looking for a new phone. I've never had an iPhone but I know about it's capabilities and limitations... I pretty much want an iPhone 5 for the dependability and the myriad of cases that I can purchase for it. I like having a wallet type case for my phone so that I don't have to carry a wallet and phone separately... but finding a case that I like for a defunct Android device is... laborious.
You'll find the most cases for the Galaxy SIII/Note 2 when it comes to Android. Samsung is getting a ton of accessory support because of their status boost last year. June will definitely be a good time to jump in because there will be a lot of new phones releasing.

Not too sure if you're switching carriers, but shop around online and see what plans they have. As for iPhone/Android, I suggest just going to a store and playing around with the phones and see what you like the most. For the ease of use and convenience, iPhone is probably the best, but a lot more restricted. If you want to take the time to learn and get more out of your phone, Android is the way to go. HTC and Samsung have done a good job with their launcher skins to make the use just as easy as iPhone, and ICS/JB is much simpler in terms of learning curve.
LibidaLoca... I blame you, and thank you, for mentioning those Sony Xperia phones... now I have to weigh the convenience of having an iPhone 5 and the awesomeness of what might possibly be the best smartphones ever.
I'm a little disappointed that the Xperia Z is only spec'ed similarly to the HTC Droid DNA that came out a month or two ago. I was hoping for a little bit more, although the high quality used to build the phone, camera, SD slot, and the fact that it's waterproof more than make up for it.

Couldn't believe that Gazelle buyback only wants $12 for my HTC Evo Shift. My old phone is basically the cellphone version of a Buick. :(

have you tried phoneraiser.com?

I'm sorry and you're welcome. :fhm: I haven't really tried the Xperia phones, I've seen them and they're gorgeous, but never actually tried the software and Timescape UI.

So now you have an SIII in your possession!?!
jonah-hill-mars-volta.gif
Don't start squeeing yet, my Dad will visit me next Wednesday then I will get the phone. Though, I'm not entirely sure if I want it since I will have an SIII and Lumia 920. I think it makes me seem very spoiled rather than lucky. But then I think f**k that I'm getting an SIII and now I can do that touchy NFC transfer with my brother's Galaxy Note II. :awesome:

You'll find the most cases for the Galaxy SIII/Note 2 when it comes to Android. Samsung is getting a ton of accessory support because of their status boost last year. June will definitely be a good time to jump in because there will be a lot of new phones releasing.

Not too sure if you're switching carriers, but shop around online and see what plans they have. As for iPhone/Android, I suggest just going to a store and playing around with the phones and see what you like the most. For the ease of use and convenience, iPhone is probably the best, but a lot more restricted. If you want to take the time to learn and get more out of your phone, Android is the way to go. HTC and Samsung have done a good job with their launcher skins to make the use just as easy as iPhone, and ICS/JB is much simpler in terms of learning curve.
I'm really jealous when I see Galaxy S and iPhone users have so many options compared to others. Maybe I would like to have a Mickey Mouse, Avengers, Superman rubber case for my phone. :argh:

I'm a little disappointed that the Xperia Z is only spec'ed similarly to the HTC Droid DNA that came out a month or two ago. I was hoping for a little bit more, although the high quality used to build the phone, camera, SD slot, and the fact that it's waterproof more than make up for it.
Well, at least it will be in good company with these other 5-inchers coming in 2013 (SGSIV). The battery life better be better than the DNA, though. And that camera (I have a thing for big camera sensors :fhm:). :awesome:

Last edited:
xperia z is my next. phone looks amazing. i've been waiting for a phone that is waterproof.

What do you guys think of the Xperia Z that was recently revealed at CES? Does it seem to be a good phone?

What do you guys think of the Xperia Z that was recently revealed at CES? Does it seem to be a good phone?

build quality looks top notch (probably the best made android phone by far), pretty gimmicky features that are actually useful like water and dust proofing, and the screen is full hd, which seems to be the trend now. camera looks great with 13 megapixels (and it's a sony, so it can't be bad).

also, i'm a sucker for aesthetics, and the phone is the sexiest smartphone out there, imo. classy, sharp, and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"