The Official Darkseid Thread

I'd go for Clancy Brown or Michael Clarke Duncan. I'm sure there are some others who could do the job, but these are my top candidates off the top of my head. Or, you could have a solid actor of any height (preferably with a great voice) do motion capture and voice work for a CG version of Darkseid. I checked my Encyclopedia and his height is listed at 8'9" and his weight at 1,815 lbs so if he was to be constructed along those lines there couldn't be a real actor to play him so he'd have to be constructed ala the Hulk. If building him according to the source material isn't a priority, then just find an actor who's as tall or taller than Routh.

Darkseid would either be:

- CGI with a voice actor (and possibly mo-cap of that actor, ala Gollum, Kong)
- Man in suit/make-up doing own voice (ala The Thing, Hellboy)
- Man in suit/make-up being dubbed by someone else (ala Darth Maul)
- SUPERMARIONATION

Now, man in suit could either be unaltered in size, in which case he'd have to be a big guy (Nathan Jones or Lawrence Makoare type guy), OR - and people don't usually think of this one - it could be a normal sized guy in a suit BUT made larger by use of forced perspective, larger body doubles and digital compositing. Remember Hyde in LXG? Like that. And of course these techniques were used copiously in the Lord of the Rings movies.

ANYWAY.... there are a lot of good voice guys - Clancy brown would be great but I'd really like to keep him handy if Lex were ever recast :)

A great voice guy is Keith David, who is just a great guy for these kind of voices. He's the cleric in Pitch Black, among other things, but he's done a lot of voices for games and animation. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202966/

darkseid will never be in a superman action live movie

Frodo said:
Michael Clarke Duncan would be good even though he's already played Kingpin.
He's My Number 1 for Darkseid.

Superfreak said:
with JEJ as the voice, that's a lock for sure
While JEJ has a great Darkseid Voice, MCD does as well. He did a Stroke PSA some years back and I thought damn he'd be perfect for Darkseid.

Check it Out!

DavidTyler said:
While that worked fine for Darth Vader, it would be an insult to Duncan. An actor's expressions are directly tied to his delivery of lines. Duncan is very much a good actor and can handle the role unaided. He will just need a good vocal coach to help him develop that regal and deadly voice I feel the character should have.
Well, he did sound very regal in Planet of the Apes. It was a Lousy Remake but his performance was top notch. I'm not too sure if a vocal Coach is necessary. (But I don't see it hurting either)

Duncan should stick to protagonist or comedy roles, I just can't buy him as a villian.

I still think Haysbert would be awesome as Darkseid.

Clancy Brown could be good or they could use a wrestler and have Michael Ironside do a voice over.

Michael Ironside's voice in the cartoon was perfect IMO. They should do CGI with his voice.

DavidTyler said:
While that worked fine for Darth Vader, it would be an insult to Duncan. An actor's expressions are directly tied to his delivery of lines. Duncan is very much a good actor and can handle the role unaided. He will just need a good vocal coach to help him develop that regal and deadly voice I feel the character should have.

It wouldn't be bad to put Ironside in all the heavy make-up to play Darksied but I don't know if he'd do it at his age. I would love to see it, though. In lieu of Ironside - Duncan.

In this situation, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever read... Facial expressions and bla bla bla. Just like Vader, MDC would be seriously makeuped for the role. To the point where it's not MDC. I mean this is DS here people. If MDC were to play the body, the make up approach would be something like they did for Hellboy, just DS.

but I agree with the poster who you were replying too. MDC does not have, and will never have the right voice for Darksied. He should be brilliantly civilized and totally evil. MDC has the voice of a 400 pound child IMO.

Making DS a double role, one for the body, and one for voice is the way to go.

I'm going to go with any of these people:

Dennis Haysbert
Lawrence Fishburne
Keith David
Clancy Brown
Michael Ironside

I think Michael Clarke Duncan would be the best option for Darkseid.

That said, as much as I'd love to see Darkseid in a Superman film, based on what Singer has done with the Superman franchise, I don't see it happening. I think he's probably leaning more toward bringing in Zod, or bringing in a rogue Kryptonian family.

I don't even know why this thread was made. Guaranteed, we WILL be seeing Zod Return in another singer Supes film.

It's what he seems to want to do and it's what I just know many will want regardless of what it means for superman in this modern era, why, heh... I have some theories. Can't wait for Bruce timm's movie.

ironside actually has a face for darkseid...as well as the attitude and stature...

not to mention the voice...

however his current age may be an issue, if he looked like he did in top gun, then this would be a no-brainer...

second choice would be alan dale, who played caleb nichol in the OC and more famously Jim Robinson in Neighbours

8051.jpg

he definitely has the stature (being tall) and the face for darkseid as well as the built in authorative figure and a voice for it.

he would make a great darkseid for me

The only way we'd see Darkseid in a film is if Bruce Timm/Paul Dini wrote the story.

Unfortunately, that will not happen as Singer wouldn't be able to control them, and Singer's ego would not allow anyone to do the story other than his whack pack of writers, Harris & Daugherty.

Darkseid is a villian with a lot of character so CGI wouldnt do him justice! They used CGI on the Hulk because he was just a roaring big beast who didnt say anything! Bruce Banner was the real character!

Bryan Singer has hinted he may include Darkseid over the course of future Superman films and has also hinted he would like Micheal Clarke Duncan to play him.

Klor-El said:
Darkseid is a villian with a lot of character so CGI wouldnt do him justice! They used CGI on the Hulk because he was just a roaring big beast who didnt say anything! Bruce Banner was the real character!
I agree with the General Sentiment. But for different reasons. Mainly b/c an actor actually playing the character generally works so much better than CGI.

Bryan Singer has hinted he may include Darkseid over the course of future Superman films and has also hinted he would like Micheal Clarke Duncan to play him.
You better have a source or you should stop lying like that. Seriously, it's not funny to play with my emotion like that.

I have no idea who to cast for the voice, I hope it will be computer enhanced; and I hope they cast someone whom they can base the face of their Darkseid on (cgi or stop motion animation).

Darkseid could never be played by a guy in a suit; he has to be like 12 foot tall.

thorstone said:
I have no idea who to cast for the voice, I hope it will be computer enhanced; and I hope they cast someone whom they can base the face of their Darkseid on (cgi or stop motion animation).

Darkseid could never be played by a guy in a suit; he has to be like 12 foot tall.

It's just as easy to make a normal guy look 12 feet tall as to use a CG character. ANd probably cheaper, and just as effective.

Steelsheen said:
whoever's gonna be Darkseid has got to be tall and quite imposing. a lot of his features will most likely be made up of prosthetics but they cant easily fake height and built.

what about the guy who played Lurtz in LOTR, Lawrence Makoare> not sure if he could pull off the voice, but perhaps they could hir another actor for that, like Jeremy Irons as you suggested.

First of all, they can certainly fake build and height. Have you ever seen “The Green Mile”? In that film Michael Clarke Duncan’s character towered over everyone else and was over twice as broad, all the time being merely an inch taller than the tallest actor playing next to him (David Morse). This was all done with camera angles and forced perspective photography, no CGI.
Now for any upcoming sequel, should there be one, the budget is going to be reduced considerably and this will force them to trim SFX and CGI particularly, ala Superman IV and we all know how that turned out. Darkseid, Doomsday and to a lesser extent Brainiac are, in my opinion, heavy CGI opponents, so I do not expect to see them in the next installment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"