The Official Darkseid Thread

Brainiac isn't havy CG. All you need is a fellow with green make up and what looks like electronic bits sticking out of him. If you're going with his comic book powers, vast telepathy, telekenisis, energy manipulations, and the ability to interface with machines, then all you need CG for is the energy blasts.

The Question said:
Brainiac isn't havy CG. All you need is a fellow with green make up and what looks like electronic bits sticking out of him. If you're going with his comic book powers, vast telepathy, telekenisis, energy manipulations, and the ability to interface with machines, then all you need CG for is the energy blasts.
:up: I'm all for more physical FX when it comes to Brainiac, man. Let Stan Winston have a crack at designing him. I wouldn't mind if they did a mixture of the different incarnations...or even if they gave him the funky little mustache...

...well, maybe I'd mind that.

Well, here's how I see Brainiac happening: He starts off as a deep space probe sent out by the empire of Colu. Colu wanted to perfect their society, and so they pacified it. Essentially, they lobotomized their entire population and implanted computerized parts into their brains so they could be controlled. To increase their technology and overall knowledge and to spread order to the rest of the universe, they sent out several probes to carry out those tasks. Eventually, the people of Colu rebelled and regained their free will (although they retained their techno/organic brains, resulting in their vast inteligence), and destroyed all of the deep space probes. Except one. That probe, after monitoring events on Earth and learning of the Kryptonian technology there, came to our planet. It was found by a carnival psychic and magician named Milton Fine. The probe killed fine and latched onto his body, taking it as it's own. It then began using Fine's stage name, Brainiac, to identify itself.

Brainiac vastly enhanced Fine's meager psychic abilities, giving it vast telekenisis and telepathy and the ability to generate massive energy blasts. Way I see it, through the film, Brainiac slowly converts Fine's body into that of a techno/organic life form throughout the film, causing it's skin to turn green, it's eyes to look more mechanical, and wires to be visible underneath it's skin. More obvious electronic parts out be sticking out of it's skin, primairily three red dots on it's forehead and certain tools on it's forarms.

^Cool concept. I also wouldn't mind Brainiac having a takeoff of some of the features of the Terminatrix from T3 (i.e. onboard weaponry and shapeshifting ability). I figured, that if they ripped it off for Smallville...why not do it in the movie? If this didn't happen though, no big deal.

rduce said:

Now for any upcoming sequel, should there be one, the budget is going to be reduced considerably and this will force them to trim SFX and CGI particularly, ala Superman IV and we all know how that turned out.
They won't trim the budget like that movie. That movie had millions removed at the last second so they began with A-list pre-production and principal photography, and it was finished like a Roger Corman masterpiece. Warner will give enough money to get the thing done. Especially now that they don't have to do everything from scratch the second time around.

thorstone said:
I have no idea who to cast for the voice, I hope it will be computer enhanced; and I hope they cast someone whom they can base the face of their Darkseid on (cgi or stop motion animation).

Darkseid could never be played by a guy in a suit; he has to be like 12 foot tall.
Why would Darkseid need to be that tall? He's only 7 feet tall in the comics.

I really don't think Darkseid should apear as a villain in a Superman movie. It would just diminish the character, I thinl. Darkseid's a threat to the entire DCU, not just Superman.

The Question said:
I really don't think Darkseid should apear as a villain in a Superman movie. It would just diminish the character, I thinl. Darkseid's a threat to the entire DCU, not just Superman.
I agree he'd end up being Darkseid lite. Thats why i'd much rather see Mongul ina Superman movie. How about James Avery as the voice?

I think Darkseid would be a terrible choice for a villain. For one, if he's at his original "I can wipe you from existence just by looking at you" power level, then there's no convincing way for him to lose. If they trim down his powers so they can have him actually fight, then the fans will constantly whine and moan about his powers being neutered (like they already do about the STAS Darkseid) And to be honest, his whole background story just sounds kind of silly if it's presented as a stand-alone story and not part of the larger DCU.

Plus, I can't imagine Darkseid being presented on the big screen without looking stupid. There are just some things that, while they may look cool when drawn, just don't translate when they're done in 3-D. That's why the Green Goblin looked like a bad Power Rangers villain in the first Spider-Man movie. That's why Milton Fine is never shown as regular ol' Brainiac on Smallville. That's why they'll likely never make a movie with Bizarro or Mr. Mxyzptlk. I know he's one of Superman's most important villains, but I can't conceive a three-dimensional version of him not looking goofy.

I don't see how he'd look bad on screen. But here's something more important: He is not a "Superman villain." Writers these days have treated him as such, and writers these days suck at writing Darkseid. Darkseid is a thread to the DCU entire. Superman should matter just as much to him as any other member of the JLA.

I'm not going to get into that argument, because frankly I've never been a fan of the character, and I find it amusing that people complain about Superman being "too powerful," but then immediately say that Darkseid should be able to take on the entire DCU by himself.

But either way, whether he's all but omnipotent or Superman's personal punching bad, he shouldn't be put into movie form. There are plenty of other villains better suited for a one-on-one with Supes that can be done without compromising the character. And if you must do Darkseid, save it for a JLA movie.

Andy C. said:
I'm not going to get into that argument, because frankly I've never been a fan of the character, and I find it amusing that people complain about Superman being "too powerful," but then immediately say that Darkseid should be able to take on the entire DCU by himself.

Because Superman and Darkseid fill completely different roles in the DCU. Darkseid's suposed to be a threat to everyone, wheras Superman still deals with his own personal rogues gallary who would not threaten the DCU entire as a team.

Andy C. said:
But either way, whether he's all but omnipotent or Superman's personal punching bad, he shouldn't be put into movie form. There are plenty of other villains better suited for a one-on-one with Supes that can be done without compromising the character. And if you must do Darkseid, save it for a JLA movie.

Nope. If you're doing Darkseid, save it for a Fourth World movie.

The Question said:
I disagree. While you are right about him being a JLA villain, I still don't see why he should premier in a Superman film. If the WB can keep all their Superhero franchises together then they can have a JLA Film with many of the JLA Villains including Darkseid.
It depends on How he is implemented.

Kroc1138 said:
I disagree. While you are right about him being a JLA villain, I still don't see why he should premier in a Superman film. If the WB can keep all their Superhero franchises together then they can have a JLA Film with many of the JLA Villains including Darkseid.
It depends on How he is implemented.

No. Darkseid's enimity of Superman should only be a side interest for the character. As in, he dislikes Superman and fights him from time to time, but he's not exclusively a Superman villain. Besides, he should apear in a Fourth World movie.

The Question said:
No. Darkseid's enimity of Superman should only be a side interest for the character. As in, he dislikes Superman and fights him from time to time, but he's not exclusively a Superman villain. Besides, he should apear in a Fourth World movie.
Who said he was? I didn't. I actually think that he should be a Villain in Numerous other Superhero films first. Superman being the first since they are often associated with each other. Wonder Woman would be another cadidate as well. I don't what's so wrong with having him appear as a Villain in some movies and then have his own storyline in another movie.

Kroc1138 said:
Who said he was? I didn't. I actually think that he should be a Villain in Numerous other Superhero films first. Superman being the first since they are often associated with each other. Wonder Woman would be another cadidate as well. I don't what's so wrong with having him appear as a Villain in some movies and then have his own storyline in another movie.

I guess. But I think it would be simpler to just have him in a New Gods/Fourth World film.

The Question said:
I guess. But I think it would be simpler to just have him in a New Gods/Fourth World film.
I'm not against that.

Anyone can play darkseid. It's the voice you have to get right.

I would make Darkseid very powerful but also show his wisdom as he brings kryptonite to deal with Superman-- I would have him kill Superman in one movie and bring him back in the sequel.

Duncan. Ironside isn't going to be doing anything more than Dubbing if he gets involved. I think Lawrence Fishburne has the closest to the total package and a Hellboy-like suit with a slight character redesign would be the best way to go.

That said, i don't think Darkseid is the best way to go for this franchise. Darkseid can be done, he can be depowered or Superman can be powered up, or a balance can be made, little storyline things that allow Superman not to get obliterated and accomplish his goal even if he can't beat Darkseid up... but I don't think Darkseid would do any good. SR is about character relationships first and foremost. You can't just ignore all of that and shoot the franchise into space with a villain that has no connection to anyone or anything.

And lets be honest... there's not going to be a "Fourth World" movie... so lets just drop that point right now.

GL1 said:
And lets be honest... there's not going to be a "Fourth World" movie... so lets just drop that point right now.

Then Darkseid should never apear on film.

The Question said:
Then Darkseid should never apear on film.

Well fine then. Be that way. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"