The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B7k4kaUCAAEJpcG.png:large

What do you think of this mask for Hal? something similar would be good.

If it does turn out to be Hal, I seriously doubt they would keep the mask. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a full headgear or something.

Last edited:
I want Green Lantern to be Jon Stewart! Who else with me? :woot:

Sorry pal. Just joking. I'm a fan of the mask. :O But done right :oldrazz:

According to him it's John Stewart.

https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/572592352361123840

But I don't believe Rock passed on it since 1) it was a part he wanted and 2) The Rock said he wasn't GL because it had already been "stamped".
"According to him it's John Stewart."?

Wait, did he say or even imply that? Or is he being asked that?
Which is his reply?

Also is this rumor by the same guy? - http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumor-warner-bros-considering-chris-pine-for-green-lantern

Why would he be saying he is hearing Chris Pine? If they are casting for John Stewart?

Last edited:
"According to him it's John Stewart."?

Wait, did he say or even imply that? Or is he being asked that?
Which is his reply?

Also is this rumor by the same guy? - http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/rumor-warner-bros-considering-chris-pine-for-green-lantern

Why would he be saying he is hearing Chris Pine? If they are casting for John Stewart?

John Stewart was a wild guess when all he had heard was that Green Lantern had been cast. But when he did the digging, what he heard but couldn't confirm was Pine as Hal.

WB casting for John Stewart GL version (proposed scoop/treat as rumor)

22:00 in

Of course I'm not going to take this rumor to heart but I hope GL is John Stewart.

lol where's that one guy who's always downplaying John Stewart and acts like you need to give him Hal Jordan's narrative to make him engaging?

I'm sure that rumor is like Christmas coming early for him.

I also hope the rumor is true BTW and I'm a Hal fan but I'm also a fan of the other Lanterns from sector 2814 and feel that John deserves his time in the sun on a more mainstream level. Especially after Hal's actual movie was a giant bomba.

If it's John, Ezra Miller better be playing Wally West.

Cain, you make it sound as if Hal's movie bombed "because" it was Hal as GL. It's like blaming Superman Returns' poor performance on Clark Kent being the main character. It bombed because it was written badly and had horrible acting. What else do you expect from a subpar actress like Blake Lively? And Reynolds always felt miscast to me.

As far as the actual rumor goes, every Lantern deserves to be showcased in a live-action movie. Noone should get preferential treatment over the others, but I'm thinking if this scoop is indeed legit, then it probably is mostly for PC reasons. At least that's what this video seems to be telling us, I mean look at its title: "Black Green Lantern". Really? So according to them John isn't being cast because of what he can potentially contribute as an actual character, but solely to fulfill a certain quota in order to "not leave Cyborg as the sole token black character".

You also mentioned a person who downplays Stewart for not being engaging unless he is given Hal's narrative. I doubt I can agree with that, but it's a fact that Jordan's lore and relationships with the JLA is the richest. In the video they also say that they think Ezra Miller is playing Barry Allen and we all know about Barry's history with Hal. They have the closest friendship in the team, if WB does try to do that, or the Hal/Batman type clash of personalities, with John in the movies, then yes, they pretty much will give him important portions of Hal's narrative.

If they do indeed use John Stewart for GL, I sure hope they use Wally West as The Flash. That would make me so happy, especially growing up with the JL cartoon. Always loved Wally's portrayal in the animated series above anything else.

Cain, you make it sound as if Hal's movie bombed "because" it was Hal as GL. It's like blaming Superman Returns' poor performance on Clark Kent being the main character. It bombed because it was written badly and had horrible acting. What else do you expect from a subpar actress like Blake Lively? And Reynolds always felt miscast to me.

No you just assumed that I made it sound that way. It's vague enough as it's just a pretty complete statement in itself. Since elaboration seems to be requested what I mean is that I don't mind Hal being left in the sidelines for a while.

Really give it enough time before you reintroduce him. I eventually want a GLC movie and also just because John might be in JL doesn't mean Hal isn't also a fellow GL out there exploring & protecting a different section of sector 2814 at the moment.

However I have no problem with Hal being put on reserve in favor of John. Hal is in the DTV's. John could use a forum to allow people to get familiar with him or for the people who watched JL/JLU (which I'm not one of) to get reacquainted. What better platform than the movies?

As far as the actual rumor goes, every Lantern deserves to be showcased in a live-action movie. Noone should get preferential treatment over the others, but I'm thinking if this scoop is indeed legit, then it probably is mostly for PC reasons. At least that's what this video seems to be telling us, I mean look at its title: "Black Green Lantern". Really? So according to them John isn't being cast because of what he can potentially contribute as an actual character, but solely to fulfill a certain quota in order to "not leave Cyborg as the sole token black character".

Or maybe it could just be because they liked John as a character. If it was for PC reasons as you suggest they could've also used Simon Baz who is muslim which today would be called an even bigger PC move. The conceit of this DC movie universe is that it's a "what if these heroes existed in a world close to ours?" scenario yes?

So then think of how unrealistic it would be in that regard if they only had one black guy on the team as opposed to 4 white guys in a team of 7. The world doesn't look like that anymore. It's much more multicultural. If they realistically want to reflect that then yes more than one black guy or any POC on the JL would be ideal.

You also mentioned a person who downplays Stewart for not being engaging unless he is given Hal's narrative. I doubt I can agree with that, but it's a fact that Jordan's lore and relationships with the JLA is the richest. In the video they also say that they think Ezra Miller is playing Barry Allen and we all know about Barry's history with Hal. They have the closest friendship in the team, if WB does try to do that, or the Hal/Batman type clash of personalities, with John in the movies, then yes, they pretty much will give him important portions of Hal's narrative.

No any writer worth his salt realizes that

1) There is already plenty of precedent for John and Batman material in both the source material and also that JL show that people on this website loved so much.

You don't have to give him Hal and Bruce's love/hate dynamic because their interactions don't work that way. They're pretty amicable with each other but also very distinct enough to learn from each other.

&

2) Any writer worth his salt will be imaginative enough to come up with an intriguing dynamic for Barry and John without having to make them BFF's.

Hal is Barry's BFF in the League and it should always remain that way. Only a hack would be like "let me just take Hal Jordan's traits and give them to John". There is so much they could conceptualize with John/Barry because it's an untapped scenario for the most part.

One that could be looked at is how John is ex military and Barry is a cop. Those 2 types usually have common ground but also a friendly type of competitive rivalry.

Those are good points. I still maintain my point about the diversity aspect, because in my opinion the last thing this line-up screams of is lack of diversity. Pretty much only two members of the team fulfill the "Caucasian American" quota. As far as Jordan goes, where I'm coming from is that I think Hal can bring some more light in this world. John is too much of a by the book type character that reminds me of Batman and Superman. I have always viewed Jordan as a "Tom Cruise in Top Gun" type of character. Maverick was a guy who could keep his cool under enemy fire, offered more brazenness and wasn't afraid to chart his own path, while at the same time offering unwavering loyalty and determination to help his friends. Hal can offer this to the team and at the same time bring about a less tense dynamic between the characters, without being presented as some fratboy clown like they tend to depict him as in the animated movies. He can still be serious, look at what they did to Superman, but he can definitely bring a more upbeat dynamic. I think the audience can only take so much grittiness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"