The Official 'Lord Of the Rings' Thread

Grond was the name of the battering ram used to break down the doors of Minas Tirith.

"Great engines crawled across the field; and in the midst was a huge ram, great as a forest-tree a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains. Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, and its hideous head, founded of black steel, was shaped in the likeness of a ravening wolf; on it spells of ruin lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it."

Could someone explain to me on how Bormoir knew that Aragorn was of royal blood by simply learning of his real name from Legolas? I thought most people of Middle Earth, save for a select few, were under the impression that Isildur's bloodline had been broken ages ago.

In the books, Aragorn's name means nothing to Boromir. He comes to Rivendell because of his and Faramir's prophetic dream, which is recounted partially in the extended edition. However, the film omits the main part of the dream in which Faramir and Boromir are told to seek the sword that was broken in Imladris (aka Rivendell). When the Boromir recites the dream for the council of Elrond, Aragorn pulls out the shards of Narsil, which he carries at all times as the heirloom of his house, and announces his intention to go to Gondor in its time of need and reclaim the throne and lead its people in its darkest hour.

What does "grond!" mean?
It's the name of the giant battering ram shaped like a wolf's head. The ram was may have been, in fact it was most likely, named after the mace of Morgoth, the first Dark Lord and Sauron's master.

currently going through the books again. Are there any things you thought the films improved upon?

Most comments are about things the books did better in regards to adaptations. I consider myself a purist, but some changes I really liked. The two that have come up in the book are put later in the story in the film versions to much greater effect (imo).

Gandalf comforting Frodo in Moria as opposed to at Bag End. When Frodo says I wish none of this had happened, it is much more powerful after having gone through part of the journey then just after finding out about the ring.
[YT]IrOqnZdvI6M[/YT]

Sam's "don't you leave him samwise gamgee, and i don't mean to" is much more powerful at the breaking of the fellowship than it is just as Frodo, Pippen, and himself are starting their journey.
[YT]rCY_Hjv7vKc[/YT]

Frodo saving Sam from drowning is better too, but that might just be because of dat howard shore score
[YT]wgwgozxtsRw[/YT]

I also loved giving Aragorn this final scene with Frodo
[YT]FzO1f1s4Bs8[/YT]

Last edited:
261721.jpg

Yes INDEED R.I.P. Sir Christopher Lee!

Kinda painful we've lost Andrew Lesnie and Christopher Lee in the same year.

Yeah but with ME Lee was the LAST of the Classic Monsters. Before Comics, I had Channey, Karloff, Lagosi and Lee all over my bedroom as a kid.

Lee lived a glorious life but yes, I was more shocked at Andrew's death which came out of no where.

Lee lived a glorious life but yes, I was more shocked at Andrew's death which came out of no where.

He was quite old so it didn't shock me, but he was very lively and a fantastic memory and vitality. I was thinking the other day of how lucky we were to still having him perform but sadly he will perform somewhere else now with the other greats.

He was born to be Saruman, no one else could do it, one of those perfect castings in movie history

PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it isn't."

Christopher Lee is the first of the LOTR cast to pass away, isn't he? :csad:

Sad news.

Lee was also the only member of the cast who had met JRR Tolkien in real life.

Very sad day. The guy achieved so much in this field.

One hell of a life. That's for sure.

Rest in peace, Sir Christopher Lee.

Sad news.

Lee was also the only member of the cast who had met JRR Tolkien in real life.
And he was a huge Tolkien fan on top anyway.

Interesting how he had always wanted to play Gandalf but wasn't quite able to convince himself that he could do the more physically demanding role. In the end I think it worked out quite well for Christopher Lee and Ian Mckellan who are just so perfect in their roles.

RIP Christoper Lee :csad:

RIP Sir Christopher Lee

You lived one hell of a life, and you wont be forgotten anytime soon.

Sad news indeed, but like said above, he lived a hell of a life.

His booming voice and commanding presence was one of legend, and he played the perfect Saruman.

RIP. He was awesome.

I also really liked his turn as the villainous one-eyed spy Rochefort in Richard Lester's "Three Musketeers" films. He had the swordplay, menace, and dry humor down cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"