The Official 'Lord Of the Rings' Thread

OMG I just read what he has done with his life, and I feel like poo:

Lee’s life was remarkable before he ever stepped onto a film set. The son of a Lieutenant-Colonel of the King's Royal Rifle Corps and an Italian-English contessa, he volunteered to fight in World War II at age 17, first with the Finnish Army and later as a member of RAF intelligence, hunting Nazi war criminals and carrying out classified operations with the Special Operations Executive, a precursor to the SAS that was also known as “The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare.” His service record during World War II is astonishingly prolific, and when he left the service he was 24 years old. THEN he decided to try acting.

You don’t need us to recount all his accomplishments here, but Wikipedia says Lee's got 206 films on his CV. He played Dracula (ten or eleven times), Frankenstein’s Monster AND The Mummy. He essayed both Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. Franchises? How about Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, James Bond, Gremlins, The Howling and Police Academy? That’s gotta be some kind of record. In between those benchmarks, Lee appeared in everything from Hollywood epics to no-budget quickies, working with directors ranging from Billy Wilder to Martin Scorsese to Jess Franco.

But if Lee’s massive filmography makes you feel like an underachiever, let’s add that he also started a music career in earnest at age 84, putting out a handful of well-received heavy metal EPs and albums over the course of his final decade.

And he was a knight.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/11/sir-christopher-lee-1922-2015

TNT is showing Fellowship of the Ring tonight - that's a coincidence!

Just thought I would throw this out there....I just finished watching the movie THE MARTIAN.....Sean Bean is one of the actors in it, and he is on a LOTR joke in it - [BLACKOUT]a secret message is sent to the crew that left Mars, when NASA officials are discussing it, one mentions how it is titled OPERATION ELROND, and asks what that means.....Sean Bean's character speaks up and says "You know, the secret council of Elrond in Lord of the Rings."[/BLACKOUT]

Just thought I would throw this out there....I just finished watching the movie THE MARTIAN.....Sean Bean is one of the actors in it, and he is on a LOTR joke in it - [BLACKOUT]a secret message is sent to the crew that left Mars, when NASA officials are discussing it, one mentions how it is titled OPERATION ELROND, and asks what that means.....Sean Bean's character speaks up and says "You know, the secret council of Elrond in Lord of the Rings."[/BLACKOUT]

This was such a good reference!

It was. His character wasn't the one who said it, though. That would have been too much of a "breaking the fourth wall" moment, but it was funny enough that he was right there in the room.

Just because....

[YT]1FFMh_Q53LE[/YT]

Nice! Still wish the Traveling song had a full recording.

You could honestly make a movie or a mini series on Lee. The guy is that interesting.

Cast Frank Langella as the elder Christopher Lee. They share a very similar charisma. I don't know who I would cast as a younger Christopher Lee though.

Cast Frank Langella as the elder Christopher Lee. They share a very similar charisma. I don't know who I would cast as a younger Christopher Lee though.

They both played in Dracula movies on the same year. My mother thinks they're the same person.

Okay, not gonna lie, this set looks really cool, regardless of how you may feel about The Hobbit movies.....but for $720.00??!?!?!?!! What kind of pipe weed have they been smoking? Nobody is going to buy that!

https://www.amazon.com/The-Middle-E...65953&creativeASIN=B01JH3KL0E&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

91LTUNhbmYL._SL1500_.jpg

Okay, not gonna lie, this set looks really cool, regardless of how you may feel about The Hobbit movies.....but for $720.00??!?!?!?!! What kind of pipe weed have they been smoking? Nobody is going to buy that!

yeah it's pretty steep. the harry potter wizards collection was half the price.

It's only got a one and a half star rating on Amazon. Apparently the set does not include the new documentary material, deleted scenes and blooper reels that Jackson wanted to include, and does NOT include the theatrical release version of the movies. They are urging people not to buy it as it doesn't have much of anything new in it. It looks like the only new things are a book and some art prints and a "Hobbit-style" book shelf, presumably to hold the set.

For myself, if I'm dropping that much cash, I want EVERYTHING.

I wonder if there's even the slightest possibility we will ever see Middle Earth again on the big screen?

The Silmarillion is off-limits for Warner Bros, and thank Eru for that. :o
And even if it wasn't... can anyone really imagine WB investing hundred millions of dollars in movies telling stories of hopeless wars, murder, torture, betrayal, incest and suicide.

"From the studio that brought you farting dwarfs... comes the tale of an ***hole who bangs his own amnesiac sister, and then brutally kills a disabled man for revealing him the truth... and it's all the Devil's fault!"

Nah, not gonna happen. But you know what, I'd be down for an Hobbit remake. I almost feel like Hollywood still owes me a movie about that book.

Last edited:
I read "When A Fan Hits the ****" about a woman sucked into a scam on a LOTR forum. Oh man, that was fascinating. I was in the LOTR fandom back in the day but never encountered the website (Bit of Earth) or the drama back then. Anyone else read that?

The price of that limited edition has now conveniently dropped to $600 :D

I doubt it cali. I posted that in the Hobbit thread awhile ago

I doubt it cali. I posted that in the Hobbit thread awhile ago

Scared me, but thought that might be the case as it was the only reference out there that I could find. I WANT them to do it......correctly.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"