The Official Metroid Thread

Gotta respect Nintendo for making that video, though.

This is a good delay.

I would call it a cancellation and the start of a new game.

It sucks that we'll have to wait a lot longer for the next Metroid Prime game, but I understand that this is for the best, they recognized that they were fundamentally unhappy with the game and instead of just finishing it and releasing a game they were unhappy with like a lot of lesser companies would, they went back to square one to do it properly and brought Retro Studios back on board, we'll almost certainly get a better game as a result of this decision.

Thanks for putting up the news Sithborg I was too busy with over time at work there was game night. yesterday night and it just wasn't happen ing I'd make back home. I have the latest though.
production was going well before this being handed back to Retro.

16 hours ago
New Information About METROID PRIME 4 Suggests Its Development Was A Mess
Metroid Prime 4 news just won't stop coming today, as new information would seemingly reveal that the game's development at Nintendo was a complete, and utter mess.Read more

Also with different details below

Switch
Metroid Prime 4 development restarted at Retro Studios [Update]
Published 17 hours ago. 132 comments.

Update at 3:15 p.m.: Game Informer senior editor Imran Khan has shared a series of insights, albeit unconfirmed, into the development of Metroid Prime 4 and a rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch.

“Huh, I guess that explains where Metroid Prime Trilogy disappeared to,” Khan said in a tweet reacting to news of Metroid Prime 4‘s restarted development. He continued, “It’s been long done. Initial announcement was supposed to be last month [in December].”

As for why we have still yet to hear about it, Khan said, “Nintendo sits on a lot of games for a long time until they feel like marketing it. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was on the eShop servers like a year ago.”

Regarding Metroid Prime 4, Khan said, “Retro working on Metroid Prime 4 is interesting. There’s not a lot of old Metroid Prime people there anymore, so the experience is all just in the name. It’s a good PR move, but I wonder what happened with the old developer (which was Bandai Namco Studios) to cause them to overturn the table.” He continued, “The last I heard of the game was around September when people told me it was proceeding fine. [Nintendo of America president and COO] Reggie [Fils-Aime] even said the same in December, when clearly it must have been boiling over.”

According to Khan, Metroid Prime 4 was being developed by a “patched-together team across different countries. Maybe parts of it were working fine, but other parts weren’t.”

Later, he added (2), “Hearing that the big problem with Metroid Prime 4development was Nintendo’s experimental ad-hoc development process; it was being made in parts in different countries. Some studios were trucking along saying it was going smoothly while it was on fire elsewhere. Internal thinking was that it needs to be all under one roof to right the ship. Interestingly, Retro made the pitch for their involvement and put together a demo that Nintendo liked.”

On ResetEra, Khan also mentioned, “There’s more Metroid stuff besides Metroid Prime 4 in development and I would imagine the Metroid Prime 4 delay adjusts their schedule a bit.”

source: GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!& Gematsu - Japanese Video Game News

Last edited:
It is certainly encouraging that Retro pitched for the new game.

1 day ago
SUPER METROID Director Finally Reveals Why We Didn't Get A METROID 64
Yoshio Sakamoto, director for the acclaimed Super Metroid game on the Super Nintendo, has finally revealed the reason why fans never got to see a Metroid title on the Nintendo 64.Read more

| 3/11/2019
Filed Under: "Nintendo" Source: Dual Shockers
14947.jpg

Back in 1996, when Nintendo released the groundbreaking Nintendo 64, fans were left wondering why they didn't get any Metroid 64 announcements. This went on for a while, since Nintendo kept announcing games for other iconic series like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Kirby; yet, no news about a Metroid game being in development.

Over twenty years later, we have finally gotten an answer as to why Nintendo decided not to make a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64 — and the reason actually makes a lot of sense, especially after the massive success that Super Metroid had on the Super Nintendo.

According to an old interview with Games Radar, Super Metroid Director Yoshio Sakamoto did consider making a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64, but the problem was that he simply didn't know how to work with the hardware, namely the Nintendo 64's unique controller.

"I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn’t be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around", explained Sakamoto by also adding that he just didn't know how to make the game work in a 3D environment like Nintendo wanted.

"So for me, it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid … Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately, they didn’t have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favorably with Super Metroid. That’s something I take as a compliment to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

And there you have it, the reason why Nintendo never made a Metroid 64 game. It is understandable that Sakamoto didn't want to work on a game when he couldn't quite figure out how, especially with all the poor-quality games that attempted to go 3D just because everybody else was doing it.

While we didn't get a Metroid 64, Retro Studios did give us a very different take with their excellent Metroid Prime series on the GameCube — so it is fair to say that the wait was definitely worth it.
source: GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!

Retro Studios can take all the time they need for another Metroid Prime game, really. With their track record, people have a lot of trust in them, and delay or not, they will deliver.

Metroid Dread kind of gives Nintendo the win this E3, not that this is saying a whole lot.

So no one wants to talk about the badass ending?

I recently got into these games hardcore. Been tempted to for ages, but I wanted to play the classic 2D ones chronogically, and I had no GBA or 3DS, so I never dipped my toes into the series. I know Metroid was on NES initially, but the game is clunky so i wanted to play Zero Mission. But the one I really wanted to play was Super Metroid anyway, so I said screw it and started there. Had an absolute blast with that game. I love SNES games, and this was just a classic start to finish.

That made me decide to play Dread next cause I have a Switch (I used Nintendo Online for Super Metroid). This game is gorgeous and super fun, but I sucked at the melee stuff. I mostly stopped using it and played it like I did Super Metroid with the exception of the final boss and the EMMIs. I didn't love the EMMIs mostly cause by the 5th or 6th robot, it felt monotonous. I loved the intensity and the idea, but it was always the same encounter. But even with those small gripes, Dread was great.

I found out wife had a Gamboy Advanced SP, but she lost the charger. So I invested in a charger and it worked just fine. So I acquired Fusion and Zero Mission and played those. Quite enjoyed them. Felt like Super Metroid, only slightly scaled down cause of ya know....GBA has fewer buttons and all that. Though the Space Jump in Fusion worked really poorly. Made bosses like Nightmare where you need to do it a lot hard. Kind of felt like it worked when it decided it would work.

I do wish Samus Returns had more options than trying to get a 3DS and then getting the game. Not sure it is worth how much both would cost me. Especially since I wasn't good at the melee in Dread, and I know SR is heavy on the melee.

I caved and started playing this. Never played Metroid Prime before and got through first level. I suck at 1st person shooter games, but this so far is manageable

Graphics on this are gorgeous. They did an excellent job on this remaster.

We haven't heard anything about Prime 2 or 3 today, right?

This remaster is incredible. They took a 20 year old game and made it one of the smoothest and best looking experiences on the Switch. Standing O.

Graphics on this are gorgeous. They did an excellent job on this remaster.

We haven't heard anything about Prime 2 or 3 today, right?

Nope. The only rumors with them are a trilogy edition, which so far has yet to show up. And the scuttlebutt I've heard is that Prime 3 is harder to get the controls to work.

Hopefully, we get the other remastered. Maybe in time for Switch 2.

I just finished Metroid Prime Remastered today. Now to patiently wait for 2 and 3 to come hopefully on the sooner side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"