Days of Future Past The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I don't see how people are saying he was slipping on the beach. I was hearing it come out here and there from the start.

Magneto_Lincoln.jpg

Again, I don't see how people are saying he was slipping on the beach. I was hearing it come out here and there from the start.

I'm surprised Fassbender didn't use that Azazeal accent he did in Hex. That was the first of anything I'd seen Fassbender in, and I was shocked to learn he was Irish-German.

Fassbender didn't "slip" - he wasn't putting on an accent the entire movie. He was basically speaking the way he naturally does the whole time. I'm guessing Vaughn told him to use his natural accent because it's Irish tinged with German. Which is great for Magneto at that stage in his life (a European globe-trotter who probably hasn't lived in Germany since childhood and has likely tried to hide his roots for certain periods of time).

Or as he said in an IGN interview:
"But what do you do with the accent? Because [Erik]'s not English and he didn't really have any sort of history in England. But I think he is well-educated... so I'm just trying to play a more neutral version of my own accent."
I've seen Fassbender do accents on multiple occasions and he doesn't slip - certainly not so constantly and obviously, at least.

Last edited:
Fassbender didn't "slip" - he wasn't putting on an accent the entire movie. He was basically speaking the way he naturally does the whole time. I'm guessing Vaughn told him to use his natural accent because it's Irish tinged with German. Which is great for Magneto at that stage in his life (a European globe-trotter who probably hasn't lived in Germany since childhood and has likely tried to hide his roots for certain periods of time).

Or as he said in an IGN interview:
I've seen Fassbender do accents on multiple occasions and he doesn't slip - certainly not so constantly and obviously, at least.
:awesome: Right there, I knew it...and it makes sense when you look at it that way.

I've heard Fassbender do a straight English accent in Basterds and in Hex, so I knew he wasn't trying to use it here, but I wasn't quite sure where he was going with it. Now that I realize that they're trying to stay more true to Erik's natural origins as a indistinct/original European accent, that brings to life an entirely new interpretation to the voice of the character.

I think Fassbender put in a great performance, him and James gave of this great vibe that resembled the characters they were trying to portray remarkably well. Both of them managed to carry the movie, and I think a few of the scenes were emotionally stunning...end scene much?

In addition to this I didn't realize quite how good-looking he was...

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about regarding the accent. He spoke his natural accent the whole time.

Whatever accent it was it was a brilliant performance.

If we could get a movie of just Erik running around the world being badass and owning nazi's like the first half hour of this movie, i'd be happy.

Yeah, performance of the film easily. The music score accompanying him was unbelievable. Almost felt like my family was killed by nazis.

If we could get a movie of just Erik running around the world being badass and owning nazi's like the first half hour of this movie, i'd be happy.
they already made that movie, its called, Inglourious Basterds (an ironicly Fassbender was in that too lol)

they already made that movie, its called, Inglourious Basterds (an ironicly Fassbender was in that too lol)

Brad Pitt's acting in that movie was horrendous. Why couldn't they killed off his character and get Fassy's character to lead the group after?:oldrazz::o

Yeah I thought it was awesome how Fass did the german thing in 1st class after Inglorious. Where he was also fantastic. Such a great underrated actor.

He had the best emotional performance of the film. James McAvoy probably had the best nuanced performance. Didnt know he was that good an actor either.

I preferred when he was without the strong hints of Irish. Like in the mansion chess scene 'We already are', the tone of voice was strong and without the lilt of the Emerald Isle...

Impressed by his multi-lingualism though...

German, spanish, french, and english. Real life or script knowledge? I'm fairly sure Kevin Bacon doesn't speak fluent russian and german so they were definitely trained to say specific lines.

Ya never know...

Actors with money tend to have a lot of spare time. Bacon and Fassbender probably already knew a little bit of those languages.

Does anyone else like Fassbender's young Magneto better then Mckellen's old Magneto?? I enjoyed Mckellen, but there's something so badass about Fassbender's young Magneto. He is so cool.

Does anyone else like Fassbender's young Magneto better then Mckellen's old Magneto?? I enjoyed Mckellen, but there's something so badass about Fassbender's young Magneto. He is so cool.
I enjoyed Fassbender's portrayal more. And thats not a knock on Mckellen's performance, I love his performance.

Ditto. I think it's because in these early years, we got to see that fire and passion that set the character on his path and his mission. The Magneto that McKellen played had clearly long since mastered "that point between rage and serenity" which brings true focus/power (according to Charles), to the point that he was relatively zen about the whole thing. "The whole thing" being his place as the leader of mutant-kind against the humans of course.

Last edited:
McKellen is a great actor but I never felt menaced by his Magneto. I think Fassbender comes a lot closer to the Magneto from the comics.

McKellen is a great actor but I never felt menaced by his Magneto. I think Fassbender comes a lot closer to the Magneto from the comics.

This. I still like McKellen's Magneto but there was always something missing in his performance compared to the actual comic character.

I think both McKellen and Fassbender's performances are strengthened by being in the same continuity with each other, actually. Now that we know the man Erik Lensherr was in the past as well as the man he will become, the character has even more depth than before. I read a post where someone made the comparison to how the movie version of Magneto has become this generation's Darth Vader; I agree with this, but with one difference.

Magneto is Darth Vader done right.

Whereas Darth Vader is a fantastic villain, you have to pretty much ignore the way they messed him up in the the prequels. Magneto, through the amazing performances of both actors and some stellar writing, has been developed into possibly the most three-dimensional and fascinating cinematic super villain of this generation.

Yeah, Fassbender portrayed the type of Magneto that wouldn't let anybody cross him, no matter what. Where as McKellen was more of a forgiving Magneto to some extent. I think this just had to do with generational differences and the growth of the character. I would have made no sense to have Fassbender play a McKellen Magneto because people change so much in 40 years.

Fassbender was ruthless though. Which I liked, even though they didn't really make him fly, no force fields, and he was still learning his powers unlike Charles.

Question for you guys:

1. How do you feel about Magneto still learning his powers where as Charles already had a full range of telepath tricks? I like the fact that Charles helped him, but wished Xavier would have learned something from Emma or from his the events that occurred. Like freezing people or taking over bodies later.

2. Do you think Magneto could have beat Shaw if Xavier wouldn't have intervened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"