Days of Future Past The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else like Fassbender's young Magneto better then Mckellen's old Magneto?? I enjoyed Mckellen, but there's something so badass about Fassbender's young Magneto. He is so cool.

Two different takes.

Yeah, Fassbender portrayed the type of Magneto that wouldn't let anybody cross him, no matter what. Where as McKellen was more of a forgiving Magneto to some extent. I think this just had to do with generational differences and the growth of the character. I would have made no sense to have Fassbender play a McKellen Magneto because people change so much in 40 years.

Fassbender was ruthless though. Which I liked, even though they didn't really make him fly, no force fields, and he was still learning his powers unlike Charles.

Question for you guys:

1. How do you feel about Magneto still learning his powers where as Charles already had a full range of telepath tricks? I like the fact that Charles helped him, but wished Xavier would have learned something from Emma or from his the events that occurred. Like freezing people or taking over bodies later.

2. Do you think Magneto could have beat Shaw if Xavier wouldn't have intervened?

Well Singer already established that Magneto will never do anything other then move metal with his powers. There will be no force fields or em blasts and pulses. It was already set in all three X films. If they had done a reboot then yes but as it stands no.

I didn't have issue with Charles's powers at all. He still haven't astro projected. Learned Something from Emma???? What was she gonna teach the most powerful telepath on the planet. She couldn't even block him from reading her mind. This Emma looked to just be able to read minds and implant suggestions and set up a fake reality in someone's head. She couldn't control people like Xavier did or otherwise she could've gotten herself outta the holding facility she was in.

It looked like he wasn't going to be able too, but I think he couldv'e without X's help. It's Magneto. Comic magneto defeated Shaw easily.

Last edited:
Well Singer already established that Magneto will never do anything other then move metal with his powers. There will be no force fields or em blasts and pulses. It was already set in all three X films. If they had done a reboot then yes but as it stands no.

I didn't have issue with Charles's powers at all. He still haven't astro projected.

It looked like he wasn't going to be able too, but I think he couldv'e without X's help. It's Magneto. Comic magneto defeated Shaw easily.

I hope we could see a little more from Magneto's powers.

I love the pulsing effect when he is holding the jet off the ground in X2. I can't remember if we had that sort of sound effect in First Class, but i don't remember it. They could have used that sort of 'magnetic pulsing' while the missiles were suspended in the air, it adds to the sense of his powers creating massive electromagnetic fields.

I had honestly thought we'd get a magnetic forcefield dome on the beach and see the missiles hitting it and blowing up, with glimpses of the forcefield structure as the explosions flowed around it.

What happened was fine and I'm not expecting bolts of energy but it would be nice to see some other stuff in future, as they will have to keep being inventive in the power depictions.

The magnetic pulsing sound was there in the first scene with Schmidt and young Erik.

I didn't have issue with Charles's powers at all. He still haven't astro projected. Learned Something from Emma???? What was she gonna teach the most powerful telepath on the planet. She couldn't even block him from reading her mind. This Emma looked to just be able to read minds and implant suggestions and set up a fake reality in someone's head. She couldn't control people like Xavier did or otherwise she could've gotten herself outta the holding facility she was in.

Yeah, I figured that even though it was established in the first 3 films, they go back and do whatever as they are now. Consistency doesn't seem to be a priority or concern really when it comes to story and good writing.

I don't think Charles will astro project at all in these films, but then again who is to say. Yeah he is the most powerful telepath. He becomes that eventually, but for now making him still a student of his gift is interesting as the marketing has hyped this movie up to be, "Learning their gifts," and what not.

Emma seems like she has used her powers on a more daily basis for a variety of situations so for her to teach a young charles a trick or two or use some against him doesn't seem like it is/was out of the question. She was able to block him on the boat remember, but couldn't in the bedroom because Magneto would have choked her out lol. I'm sure she could have gotten out of the holding facility, but was biding her time for some reason or this is something the writers just left out for the sake of the story.

All I'm saying is it would have been nice to see Xavier learn a power as everyone else did, rather than having the dude just mastering his powers already.

Yeah, comic magneto defeated Shaw, but this isn't comic Magneto, this is movie Magneto. I just wonder if he could have beaten him alone and how?

Yeah, comic magneto defeated Shaw, but this isn't comic Magneto, this is movie Magneto. I just wonder if he could have beaten him alone and how?

I don't think Magneto would've been able to defeat Shaw alone. Not only was Shaw incredibly powerful, he was surrounded by tough henchmen. Most likely he would've gotten fed up with Erik making attempts on his life and just killed him.

Two different takes.

Does anyone else like Fassbender's young Magneto better then Mckellen's old Magneto?? I enjoyed Mckellen, but there's something so badass about Fassbender's young Magneto. He is so cool.

I like both. Though, my personal choice for the older Magneto would have been Charles Keating. He played the iconic "big bad", Carl Hutchins, on the soap opera Another World. Like Ian, he is also British and Shakespearean. Below is one of my favorite quotes by him:

"I'll crush you for your sins
I'll hang you out to dry
and I'll cast you in the wind!" - Carl Hutchins --- And I think this quote is from the time period when the character was reformed. That was one of the great things about the character, even when he was reformed he kept his edge.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm sorry, but ever since Singer diluted Magneto's powers, I think he has become less powerful against other mutant villains. In the comics he is the uber mutant, but in the movies if you take away metal he has no other real powers. He is nothing more than Pyro with metal in movie X-Men world. Yes, controlling metal is badass, but I think that Azazel and Shaw could have taken him. Maybe even Riptide.

Honestly, Mckellen's Magneto was good. But Fassbender's take on Mangeto is just amazing. It made me more interested in Eric as a character. After watching the movie, I picked up a Magneto graphic novel (Magneto: Testament) Hope it's good. I certainly hope we get to see a younger Magneto in the comics like Fassbender has played him, in a mini-series or something. I'd definitely buy that. :awesome:

Honestly, Mckellen's Magneto was good. But Fassbender's take on Mangeto is just amazing. It made me more interested in Eric as a character. After watching the movie, I picked up a Magneto graphic novel (Magneto: Testament) Hope it's good. I certainly hope we get to see a younger Magneto in the comics like Fassbender has played him, in a mini-series or something. I'd definitely buy that. :awesome:

I'm still trying to find the Magneto: Testament graphic novel. Did you get it at a comic book store or Barnes & Noble?

Anyhow, I'd really love to see a young Magneto mini written by Claremont. I remember years ago, before the news of Claremont's return broke, an issue with Alan Davis art that opened up with Magneto having a nightmare. Due to the writing of Magneto in that issue, it was pretty blatantly obvious that Claremont had ghost scripted it. The only other explanation would have been that someone was doing an extremely spot on Claremont impersonation.

Is this there a novelization of the current movie?

I'm still trying to find the Magneto: Testament graphic novel. Did you get it at a comic book store or Barnes & Noble?

Anyhow, I'd really love to see a young Magneto mini written by Claremont. I remember years ago, before the news of Claremont's return broke, an issue with Alan Davis art that opened up with Magneto having a nightmare. Due to the writing of Magneto in that issue, it was pretty blatantly obvious that Claremont had ghost scripted it. The only other explanation would have been that someone was doing an extremely spot on Claremont impersonation.

Is this there a novelization of the current movie?

I looked for Testament in Books A Million, couldn't find it. They have it listed on their site that it should be in stores, but it wasn't in mine. So I got the HC off amazon for around $20 bucks total. :D They also have on amazon listed " "X-Men Magneto: First Class" it says it contains one shots. I'm interested in picking that up as well. Doesn't come out until August though.

Yeah, I think that McKellan's Magneto is good but he's also pretty much a straight-up villain. It's hard to sympathize with him because he's so arrogant and unlikeable. Although you still get the sense that there is (or was) some good in him, he's still pretty much a bastard through the whole series.

While Fassbender's Magneto is Machiavellian in many ways, he still feels more like a tragic, misguided hero that would have probably been as good as Charles had things turned out differently. One of my favorite X-Men stories was the whole Age of Apocalypse arc, because there we see how Magneto would have actually become a true hero if Charles had gotten killed. Like so many good characters that are always coming close to the edge of going bad, I've always viewed Magneto as the reverse... a "bad" character that is always close to tipping over to the good side.

Yeah, I figured that even though it was established in the first 3 films, they go back and do whatever as they are now. Consistency doesn't seem to be a priority or concern really when it comes to story and good writing.

I don't think Charles will astro project at all in these films, but then again who is to say. Yeah he is the most powerful telepath. He becomes that eventually, but for now making him still a student of his gift is interesting as the marketing has hyped this movie up to be, "Learning their gifts," and what not.

Emma seems like she has used her powers on a more daily basis for a variety of situations so for her to teach a young charles a trick or two or use some against him doesn't seem like it is/was out of the question. She was able to block him on the boat remember, but couldn't in the bedroom because Magneto would have choked her out lol. I'm sure she could have gotten out of the holding facility, but was biding her time for some reason or this is something the writers just left out for the sake of the story.

All I'm saying is it would have been nice to see Xavier learn a power as everyone else did, rather than having the dude just mastering his powers already.

I think Magneto could have beaten Shaw 1 vs. 1 if the circumstances were right. When Erik attacked on the boat using the anchor as a weapon early in the film Shaw retreated.

Continuing the fight could have just been inconvenient for Shaw but I have feeling this version of Shaw can't absorb the energy behind Magneto's attacks. Magneto moves metal objects with his mind so there is no "energy" behind them, at least not the kind we see Shaw absorb in the film.

Also If Shaw didn't have the help of Azazel, Magneto could have just sunk the sub and drowned him. Or he could have raised the sub into outer space and suffocated or froze him.

I loved Ian McKellen, but Michael Fassbender absolutely kicked his butt. That was so much a pitch-perfect performance even the hair-color was a non issue for me. He was just the right amount of "good" without ever actually seeming heroic, it was so well fleshed out, I felt as though I was watching the 1980s/1970s Magneto right on a movie screen. The character was literally ripped right from the comic pages and made flesh, it was exceptional, as were most of the performances.

Hair color? I mean, Erik in this movie is probably in his early 30's as he's being portrayed..Did you really want him with white hair? That'd really look odd, imo.

Yeah, I think that McKellan's Magneto is good but he's also pretty much a straight-up villain. It's hard to sympathize with him because he's so arrogant and unlikeable. Although you still get the sense that there is (or was) some good in him, he's still pretty much a bastard through the whole series.

While Fassbender's Magneto is Machiavellian in many ways, he still feels more like a tragic, misguided hero that would have probably been as good as Charles had things turned out differently. One of my favorite X-Men stories was the whole Age of Apocalypse arc, because there we see how Magneto would have actually become a true hero if Charles had gotten killed. Like so many good characters that are always coming close to the edge of going bad, I've always viewed Magneto as the reverse... a "bad" character that is always close to tipping over to the good side.

I disagree with that I think there are several instances where he appears more sympathetic. In the beginning of the 1st film where he relates his experience in the holocaust to the impending government activities on mutants. In the second film he wasn't even technically the main villain it was stryker and he actually had to work with the x-men for some time.

Hair color? I mean, Erik in this movie is probably in his early 30's as he's being portrayed..Did you really want him with white hair? That'd really look odd, imo.
Magneto's hair is supposed to be white prematurely, just like Xavier's baldness.

Fassbender seemed to be able to tap into something that at times was extremely menacing.

He was a person, but at those moments when he felt no regard for his enemy, it seemed like there was no person inside. Just pain, anger, and hatred.

Well Xaiver wasn't bald in First Class, so...
That bothered me more. I actually hated that they referenced his baldness twice, after deciding to part ways with the comic. Both the nods they made just made it seem like they could've done it, knew it was part of his character, and if they were going to reference it at all they should've just made him bald and then dropped it. They never made a point to note that Magneto's hair wasn't white, they shouldn't have bothered to have Xavier making hair jokes, it really smacked of breaking the fourth wall...which really was probably my only minor gripe about the film.

Last edited:
Fassbender was the best thing in First Class, aside from his Irish accent really shining through in the second half of the movie his acting was so good it didn't bother me. The storyline of him tracking down Shaw was superb, I would have rather watched a film just of that to be honest but still great film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"