The Official Mighty Avengers Thread

When Slott goes "wait till you see what's next", I get excited....
When Bendis goes "wait till you see what's next", I groan....

Dan Slott > Brian Bendis, at least to me. Sales be damned! :awesome:

See MA#36. :)

See, I'm excited for what goes on in the comic, but I'm also sad that it is one issue closer to the end of the only Avengers run I've been able to regularly enjoy in the last few years (no disrespect to "The Initiative", I was just never that captivated by it).

I like AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE and am thrilled that it will live on with AVENGERS ACADEMY, but it will be a shame to see Slott's run on MIGHTY AVENGERS end. Still, it does give the finale a sense of finality, which could add some buzz.

Dan Slott > Brian Bendis, at least to me. Sales be damned! :awesome:

No way, Bendis writes much more riveting material, his work just flows better and has more bite to it than Slott, not taking anything away from him.

As long as you forget that the characters he's writing existed before he started writing them, yeah, sure.

Every once in a while Bendis lets out some awesome a la this year's Siege, and so every now and again I like to remind myself of how bad he can be. I do this by thinking of the first year of New Avengers.

Echo. As. Ronin. Alpha Flight dead off panel.

XOOOOORRRRNN

No way, Bendis writes much more riveting material, his work just flows better and has more bite to it than Slott, not taking anything away from him.

Not taking anything away from him other than the fact Slott actually attempts to read, write, and make appropriate dialogue.

Unless flowing work means ignoring previous work, forgetting what universe you're working in, and giving them all the same crappy speaking pattern which is volumes of empty words.

Slott uses a little word called continuity, something Bendis ignores a lot. End of discussion.

I like a lot of Bendis' work too. Can't say I'd put him over Slott, but I don't bash him either like (obviously) a lot of other people on here do.

In that it flows from one of the seventeen panels on one page to the next, because every two sentences needs another one. And the only "bite" I'd come up with describing most of his work on the Avengers franchise is in verb form.

Yeah, he tends to fizzle out. It's got me a bit worried about Siege, which has been pretty good so far (outside of the overly gratuitous death of Ares, in my opinion).

I'm worried about the ending of SIEGE also because so far it's been kicking ass. It'd be a shame if the end sucked.

Banner is still unable to transform into Hulk. He's not gonna show up, bro. Well, I guess Banner could, which is doubtful, but I don't see Hulk making an appearance.

And Hulk hasn't been an Avenger since, like, the 60's.

Once an Avenger always an Avenger counts for everybody except the Hulk. :awesome:

Banner is still unable to transform into Hulk. He's not gonna show up, bro. Well, I guess Banner could, which is doubtful, but I don't see Hulk making an appearance.

And Hulk hasn't been an Avenger since, like, the 60's.

Nice sig, brother. :word:

Really? Isnt he a Avenger though?

Hulk's suffering from the same syndrome that the X-Men are. They're a part of the Marvel U, but for the most part are contained to their own respective lores and mythos. I'm trying to keep up with what's going on in Hulk (and Rulk, cause it's awesome :awesome:), but damn if this fall of the hulks thing hasn't gotten my scratching my head with what the hells going on and what order the issues are to be read in.

Every once in a while Bendis lets out some awesome a la this year's Siege, and so every now and again I like to remind myself of how bad he can be. I do this by thinking of the first year of New Avengers.

Echo. As. Ronin. Alpha Flight dead off panel.

XOOOOORRRRNN

Now now, I wouldn't call SIEGE an outright success for Bendis yet. Nearly all of Bendis' events, aside for HOUSE OF M, looked at lease decent by the midway point, before devolving a bit. I won't give it a pass until issue four is out and doesn't stink.

That said, I think there is a disconnect between Marvel telling fans that SIEGE matters to more titles than Thor and the Avengers, and fans believing them. SIEGE's sales for a mini are at lows compared to 2006. Even WORLD WAR HULK debuted at almost 180,000. While Diamond has under-reported SIEGE sales estimates due to some issues being returnable, even a debut of 130k for a debut for a modern event from the big two is a low figure.

MIGHTY AVENGERS, though? Since Slott has been on, it has been a solid ride. I've certainly enjoyed it like no other Avenger title in years. I think fans mistake a title being infallible with it being reliable too often (as in life; no one is infallible, but there are those who are reliable).

Really? Isnt he a Avenger though?
He's a founder, but he left in the second Avengers issue and has very, very rarely been associated with the Avengers franchise since then. He's much more a Defender than an Avenger in terms of comic team associations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"