The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why does that matter to consumers? If you don't have a system, does it matter that one is new, while the others are cheaper with deeper libraries? The PS4 list this year is fantastic.

Because you'd have to be a **** to expect something new to be the same price as four year old game consoles.

I have never, in my life, waited for a controller to charge. Just has never happened. There has always been easy ways around that without spending a lot of money. Even if I didn't have a charge kit for my Xbox controller, I just plug it in. 3.5 hours sounds crazy.

What? The play and charge kit is almost the same cost as a charging grip for the Switch. Sure, you can get third party options, but they're mostly garbage. The controller that comes with the Xbox One (now I'm talking first gen Xbox One) has no charging cable, no charging kit, nothing. It runs on regular AA batteries. You can't plug it in to recharge unless you spend the extra cash for the kit. I don't see any difference here. Except for the fact that the joy-cons last 20 hours, which is significantly longer than the PS4 or the Xbox One battery life.

Because you'd have to be a **** to expect something new to be the same price as four year old game consoles.
But the problem is the 4 year old console is better. That is the entire problem with the pricing structure. More powerful, huge libraries, more games to comes.

What? The play and charge kit is almost the same cost as a charging grip for the Switch. Sure, you can get third party options, but they're mostly garbage. The controller that comes with the Xbox One (now I'm talking first gen Xbox One) has no charging cable, no charging kit, nothing. It runs on regular AA batteries. You can't plug it in to recharge unless you spend the extra cash for the kit. I don't see any difference here. Except for the fact that the joy-cons last 20 hours, which is significantly longer than the PS4 or the Xbox One battery life.
I can use my Xbox One controller by plugging it in with USB wires I already own. I use the same wires for my PS4 and Xbox One controllers. Two cost me less then 10 bucks on Amazon.

I can use my Xbox One controller by plugging it in with USB wires I already own. I use the same wires for my PS4 and Xbox One controllers. Two cost me less then 10 bucks on Amazon.

And you can play the Switch without having to buy any at all. Seriously, 20 hours of battery life. Are we really looking to rag on having to plug it into the dock every 20 hours of playtime (probably once a week), when you yourself just mentioned that you have to get up to plug it into the USB port when the batteries run low? It's the same amount of effort, but much less frequently.

Unless you have it plugged in 100% of the time, which most people absolutely do not want to do.

Edit: Also, 20 hours of playtime in a week would be a ****ing lot, so you'd be charging it less frequently than even that.

Last edited:
And you can play the Switch without having to buy any at all. Seriously, 20 hours of battery life. Are we really looking to rag on having to plug it into the dock every 20 hours of playtime (probably once a week), when you yourself just mentioned that you have to get up to plug it into the USB port when the batteries run low? It's the same amount of effort, but much less frequently.

Unless you have it plugged in 100% of the time, which most people absolutely do not want to do.

Edit: Also, 20 hours of playtime in a week would be a ****ing lot, so you'd be charging it less frequently than even that.
There is an obvious difference here. I don't need to stop playing to charge the controller. I don't live alone, nor am I the only one to play video games.

And who said anything about getting up? I just pick up the wire off the floor and plug in my controller. It takes 10 seconds, on a bad day.

Also, to add (double post, my bad): The crux of the argument appears to be "I can't keep playing while it's charging". But my point is, why do you need to? You get 20 hours of play time. You're not going to play for 20+ hours straight. If you do, seek help. I'm sure the Switch has a battery indicator somewhere in the UI. At some point, within that combined 20 hour window, you will see it get low. At which point, you would say "hey, I should put it in the dock when I'm done here". And because you have a 20 HOUR WINDOW, you should have more than enough time to finish your sweet gaming sesh and get it plugged in. It seems eminently reasonable.

There is an obvious difference here. I don't need to stop playing to charge the controller. I don't live alone, nor am I the only one to play video games.

And who said anything about getting up? I just pick up the wire off the floor and plug in my controller. It takes 10 seconds, on a bad day.

I posted right after you, but ended up weirdly responding to you. Odd. But to summarize. IT'S 20 HOURS. You're not going to play for 20 hours straight. At some point, you will stop. When you stop, plug it in.

EDIT: Also, most people don't want wires running all over their floor from the console to their seats, at all times. It works for you to just plug and go, but most people would probably want the USB cable stored away when not using it. Or, if you're sitting in front of the console, on the floor, in front of the TV, I commend you for seeking the ways of our youth, but recommend a trip to the eye doctor at regular intervals.

Last edited:
Also, to add (double post, my bad): The crux of the argument appears to be "I can't keep playing while it's charging". But my point is, why do you need to? You get 20 hours of play time. You're not going to play for 20+ hours straight. If you do, seek help. I'm sure the Switch has a battery indicator somewhere in the UI. At some point, within that combined 20 hour window, you will see it get low. At which point, you would say "hey, I should put it in the dock when I'm done here". And because you have a 20 HOUR WINDOW, you should have more than enough time to finish your sweet gaming sesh and get it plugged in. It seems eminently reasonable.
Because my free time, time free enough to play games, is limited. I do not charge the batteries for something that isn't run down almost completely because it can have adverse effects on the battery.

I posted right after you, but ended up weirdly responding to you. Odd. But to summarize. IT'S 20 HOURS. You're not going to play for 20 hours straight. At some point, you will stop. When you stop, plug it in.

EDIT: Also, most people don't want wires running all over their floor from the console to their seats, at all times. It works for you to just plug and go, but most people would probably want the USB cable stored away when not using it. Or, if you're sitting in front of the console, on the floor, in front of the TV, I commend you for seeking the ways of our youth, but recommend a trip to the eye doctor at regular intervals.
This is the reason I bought 10 feet long wires. Which I plug into my outlet near my couch using a charger. I don't need to sit anywhere near my television. And wrapping up a wire doesn't take 3 and half hours.

Because my free time, time free enough to play games, is limited. I do not charge the batteries for something that isn't run down almost completely because it can have adverse effects on the battery.

Batteries don't work that way any more. It used to be that you would want the battery to fully drain before charging it. That's no longer the case. I'm not sure what the battery type is, but I would assume lithium ion, which does not require the battery to be drained fully before safely charging. The adverse affects were from older type batteries, from years and years past.

Last edited:
Batteries don't work that way any more. It used to be that you would want the battery to fully drain before charging it. That's no longer the case. I'm not sure what the battery type is, but I would assume lithium ion, which does not require the battery to be drained fully before safely charging. The adverse affects were from older type batteries, from years and years past.
I am now curious what kind of batteries this thing has. Especially considering the battery life of the system itself.

This is the reason I bought 10 feet long wires. Which I plug into my outlet near my couch using a charger. I don't need to sit anywhere near my television. And wrapping up a wire doesn't take 3 and half hours.

Do something else in the 3 and a half hours! You just had 20 hours of play time on a single charge. Do it while you sleep, like a cell phone. This is a damn mountain out of a reasonably sized ski slope.

Last edited:
I am now curious what kind of batteries this thing has. Especially considering the battery life of the system itself.

It's almost a guarantee that the battery will be a type that allows charging at any charge level without adverse affects. Nearly all laptop, cell phone, etc batteries are that way now. The "drain it full" thing hasn't been true for years.

It's almost a guarantee that the battery will be a type that allows charging at any charge level without adverse affects. Nearly all laptop, cell phone, etc batteries are that way now. The "drain it full" thing hasn't been true for years.
Alright then. Do we know if the system charges without being on in someway?

Alright then. Do we know if the system charges without being on in someway?

It's funny you mention that, I just saw an update to the Polygon article about the joy-con's charging. Apparently they do charge while attached to the Switch pad, regardless of it's in a dock or not. They apparently charge from the pad's batteries themselves. So, you can connect the Switch pad to a USB-C charging cable right? So, I would assume that you would be able to charge the pad and the joy-cons while playing in tablet mode. Is that what it's called? Tablet mode. I'm calling it tablet mode.

Still not a 100% solution, but... it's better.

In terms of the system charging without being on, I have to assume it has a standby mode like PS4 or 3DS that allows charging without being "active". I dunno though.

It's funny you mention that, I just saw an update to the Polygon article about the joy-con's charging. Apparently they do charge while attached to the Switch pad, regardless of it's in a dock or not. They apparently charge from the pad's batteries themselves. So, you can connect the Switch pad to a USB-C charging cable right? So, I would assume that you would be able to charge the pad and the joy-cons while playing in tablet mode. Is that what it's called? Tablet mode. I'm calling it tablet mode.

Still not a 100% solution, but... it's better.

In terms of the system charging without being on, I have to assume it has a standby mode like PS4 or 3DS that allows charging without being "active". I dunno though.
Question about that. Not sure if it was mentioned. Can you stop your joy-cons from charging, or do they automatically do so while playing? Because I feel like that would harm battery life in handheld mode. I too have no idea what it is called. :funny:

It's definitely handheld mode, this is the name. Henceforth and forever. I would guess the joy-cons stop charging when connected to the pad and no other power source, but the pad would power them. In that, the pad is only sending enough juice to run the joy-cons, not charge the battery. But that probably still has a bit to do with the **** battery life on the pad.

Gonna need a USB-C cable. A good one. Braided. Gold. Yuge.

Speak for yourself. I prefer the Switch.
Which is fine. But in terms of specs and amount of games available, I don't think there is a debate.

I am definitely getting one, just not out of the gate. But I think they are setting up a problem for themselves going forward. Perhaps a worst situation then the Wii U, though this system seems clearly better.

Last edited:
It's definitely handheld mode, this is the name. Henceforth and forever. I would guess the joy-cons stop charging when connected to the pad and no other power source, but the pad would power them. In that, the pad is only sending enough juice to run the joy-cons, not charge the battery. But that probably still has a bit to do with the **** battery life on the pad.

Gonna need a USB-C cable. A good one. Braided. Gold. Yuge.
Ah, that makes sense. :up:

:funny:

That's just me talking out of my ass though. It might not be that way. It very well could charge the joy-cons when connected, regardless of if the pad is connected to a power source or not. If that's the case, it would suuuuuuuuck.

That's just me talking out of my ass though. It might not be that way. It very well could charge the joy-cons when connected, regardless of if the pad is connected to a power source or not. If that's the case, it would suuuuuuuuck.
Probably depends on how much life is needed. Like you said, it would make sense for them to only charge enough for them to be usable. And that shouldn't be a problem if they are decently charged before leaving with it.

Either way... yay, Zelda. And other games that are not Zelda. Yay.

There better be damn Gamecube games on the VC though. I'm not playing around, get the Rogue Squadron games on there. I don't care what the licenses are, or the problems, I just need it to happen.

Either way... yay, Zelda. And other games that are not Zelda. Yay.

There better be damn Gamecube games on the VC though. I'm not playing around, get the Rogue Squadron games on there. I don't care what the licenses are, or the problems, I just need it to happen.
Gamecube games and carrying over your previous purchases. And yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to get the Rogue Squadron games on there. Especially as LF have re-released a few already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"