Transformers The official "NO UNICRON IN THE SEQUEL" thread

tviceman

Civilian
Reaction score
While no script yet exists that I am aware of, I know there are plenty of people on this board and within the Transformers world that basically want the '86 movie to be remade, minus Prime's death, but I personally think at this point in time it would be a horrible idea to introduce Unicron so soon (or at all).

Why? Quite simply - we just got a 2 1/2 hour movie but only a small taste of the different robots and their personalities.

• Except for one exchange between Starscream and Megatron, there was absolutely NO Decepticon interaction.
  • The only Autobots that were fleshed out as true characters were Prime and Bumblebee. Sure, the other bots had a few lines, but their personalities were never explored. They were only the screen to serve as a personality builder for Prime and to fight.
  • The only Autobot/Decepticon interaction we got to experience was Prime and Megatron. Even then, after a few body slams and iconic lines spoken by Optimus, most of their action took place off screen.
  • Frenzy and Megatron were the only Decepticons that had a personality. And further, only Megatron and Starscream's name was spoken in English. None of this adds up to a memorable foe, someone we can both love and hate (like Vador or Agent Smith).
  • The robot vs. robot on-screen fighting was minimal when compared with the robot vs. human action. Much of this was due to budget restraints and the cost of animation.
For all the reasons stated above, and some that I couldn't remember, I'd much rather see a sequel that fleshes out the characters of the Transformers extensively and has more Autobot vs. Decepticon action. However, if Unicron were to be introduced and utilized as a focal point, this would drastically take away from much of what we've yet (and want) to see. We've only seen 11 or so Transformers on the big screen. There's still an epic Prime vs. Megatron battle to be had. Essentially, I feel it's much too soon to see Autobots and Decepticons teaming up; we barely even saw them fight. Please don't rush this franchise; make it right. Make us love and hate the robots for their personalities and their fighting, not because they got only 40 seconds of screen time and 1 line.

Creating a plot around and bringing in Unicron in the first Transformers sequel, IMO, would be a horrible mistake and I hope enough people will read over this, agree, and make their voice heard as well. Lets stop a tragic situation before it happens.

I agree with everything you have stated. While I wouldn't really care if we never saw Unicron in a Transformers film it would far too soon to introduce him in 2 and very possibly too soon in 3. We need to know our team of existing Autobots and Decepticons. While I didn't really have a complaint on the whole "they weren't developed enough" this is only because I am a huge fan of the Transformers and so I gave them the personalities on the characters they are based on/are from the toon.

I would like to know why Ratchet, Ironhide and Bumblebee are English. While Ratchet's accent suited him, BB's was far too posh and Ironhide looks a little rough to have a refined English accent.

On the actual character development the movie did give I gathered that:

Optimus Prime is caring leader who will stop at nothing to protect us from their war. He also has absolutely no fear.

Bumblebee will stop at nothing to protect Sam.

Ratchet....hmmm well he erm is working on BB's voice processors....he had the least development easily.

Ironhide likes to show people his cannons, is very gun happy but he is seasoned enough to know that Starscream is a threat.

Jazz is very much like his G1 counter part. Very protective of his fellow team and is "down" with the times.

On the Decepticon front:

Megatron...is a very angry robot. He clearly has a hate relationship with Starscream and will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

Starscream...apparently lives to serve Megatron and alas there is nothing in the film to contradict otherwise. Except the strange fact that Starscream allowed a few F-22's alive to attack Megatron and he fleed from battle.

Barricade...a disgruntled ebayer...no no...another angry robot who isn't afraid of Bumblebee although he gets battered.

Frenzy...a silly robot who doesn't like humans and will kill if approached by us.

Bonecrusher...he is rollong then decapitated in the best fight in the film...no characterisation at all.

Brawl...very hard to kill....that is all.

Scorponok...your guess is as good as mine.

Blackout...like to destroy things with his EMP pulse blaster thing...that is all.

Yeah, while I could give Bonecrusher the personality of his G1 counterpart, Blackout with Vortex etc the film in and of itself didn't try to give life to the fodder.

Transform and Roll on the sequel.

Unicron in the sequel is like asking for a Batman movie where the caped crusader helps out Santa Clause in delivering presents to good children. It might happen, but the idea is daft.

I would like to know why Ratchet, Ironhide and Bumblebee are English. While Ratchet's accent suited him, BB's was far too posh and Ironhide looks a little rough to have a refined English accent.

I'd like to know why Optimus Prime chose an American accent. :oldrazz:

Seriously though, the Transformmers are aliens who have learned English from harvesting media broadcasts for the most part. They will pick up whatever accent they choose to. Live with it.

I agree with everything you have stated. While I wouldn't really care if we never saw Unicron in a Transformers film it would far too soon to introduce him in 2 and very possibly too soon in 3. We need to know our team of existing Autobots and Decepticons. While I didn't really have a complaint on the whole "they weren't developed enough" this is only because I am a huge fan of the Transformers and so I gave them the personalities on the characters they are based on/are from the toon.

On the actual character development the movie did give I gathered that:

Optimus Prime is caring leader who will stop at nothing to protect us from their war. He also has absolutely no fear.

Bumblebee will stop at nothing to protect Sam.

Ratchet....hmmm well he erm is working on BB's voice processors....he had the least development easily.

Ironhide likes to show people his cannons, is very gun happy but he is seasoned enough to know that Starscream is a threat.

Jazz is very much like his G1 counter part. Very protective of his fellow team and is "down" with the times.

On the Decepticon front:

Megatron...is a very angry robot. He clearly has a hate relationship with Starscream and will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

Starscream...apparently lives to serve Megatron and alas there is nothing in the film to contradict otherwise. Except the strange fact that Starscream allowed a few F-22's alive to attack Megatron and he fleed from battle.

Barricade...a disgruntled ebayer...no no...another angry robot who isn't afraid of Bumblebee although he gets battered.

Frenzy...a silly robot who doesn't like humans and will kill if approached by us.

Bonecrusher...he is rollong then decapitated in the best fight in the film...no characterisation at all.

Brawl...very hard to kill....that is all.

Scorponok...your guess is as good as mine.

Blackout...like to destroy things with his EMP pulse blaster thing...that is all.

Yeah, while I could give Bonecrusher the personality of his G1 counterpart, Blackout with Vortex etc the film in and of itself didn't try to give life to the fodder.

Transform and Roll on the sequel.

I agree with all of this, its too early for unicron in fact I dont want to see him period!

I hope that they go back to the basics in the second movie and focus on the bots themselves, I want to feel some kind of attachment to them come the end of the film.

I don't foresee Unicron showing up anytime soon, if at all, either. The question is if we don't see Unicron, who will rebuild Megatron and upgrade him into Galvatron? AND, if we don't see Galvatron...well, who's going to take over the role of primary antagonist?

While no script yet exists that I am aware of, I know there are plenty of people on this board and within the Transformers world that basically want the '86 movie to be remade, minus Prime's death, but I personally think at this point in time it would be a horrible idea to introduce Unicron so soon (or at all).

Why? Quite simply - we just got a 2 1/2 hour movie but only a small taste of the different robots and their personalities.

• Except for one exchange between Starscream and Megatron, there was absolutely NO Decepticon interaction.
  • The only Autobots that were fleshed out as true characters were Prime and Bumblebee. Sure, the other bots had a few lines, but their personalities were never explored. They were only the screen to serve as a personality builder for Prime and to fight.
  • The only Autobot/Decepticon interaction we got to experience was Prime and Megatron. Even then, after a few body slams and iconic lines spoken by Optimus, most of their action took place off screen.
  • Frenzy and Megatron were the only Decepticons that had a personality. And further, only Megatron and Starscream's name was spoken in English. None of this adds up to a memorable foe, someone we can both love and hate (like Vador or Agent Smith).
  • The robot vs. robot on-screen fighting was minimal when compared with the robot vs. human action. Much of this was due to budget restraints and the cost of animation.
For all the reasons stated above, and some that I couldn't remember, I'd much rather see a sequel that fleshes out the characters of the Transformers extensively and has more Autobot vs. Decepticon action. However, if Unicron were to be introduced and utilized as a focal point, this would drastically take away from much of what we've yet (and want) to see. We've only seen 11 or so Transformers on the big screen. There's still an epic Prime vs. Megatron battle to be had. Essentially, I feel it's much too soon to see Autobots and Decepticons teaming up; we barely even saw them fight. Please don't rush this franchise; make it right. Make us love and hate the robots for their personalities and their fighting, not because they got only 40 seconds of screen time and 1 line.

Creating a plot around and bringing in Unicron in the first Transformers sequel, IMO, would be a horrible mistake and I hope enough people will read over this, agree, and make their voice heard as well. Lets stop a tragic situation before it happens.

Yeah, i agree with all of this, we need a sequel that focuses more on the robots, Sam and Mikaela and possibly one or two of the soldiers should the only humans to return IMO.

I don't foresee Unicron showing up anytime soon, if at all, either. The question is if we don't see Unicron, who will rebuild Megatron and upgrade him into Galvatron? AND, if we don't see Galvatron...well, who's going to take over the role of primary antagonist?

I think Megatron will return in the sequel, we simply didnt get enough of him in TF and i think Bay realises that.

Hmm probably more appropriate in the sequel forum, none the less Unicon + TF2 = Bad Idea.

Save Unicron for part four or five. We need a Decepticon centered sequel, take the sequel to the dark side ala Empire Strikes Back

It depends on which of the producers are going to remain with the property.

Bay wanted to ditch Desanto and Murphy, but it remains to be seen if those are the two producers who are on record as stating they want the following for the sequel:

* Producers have stated their intent to make two more films. Shia LaBeouf (Sam), Peter Cullen (Optimus), Megan Fox (Mikaela) are all locked in. Cullen was informed by producers to ".. be availible the next year." Spielberg is interested in building a new franchise around Transformers.

The 2nd script is currently being written. Producers have stated they want Soundwave, the Dinobots, and Unicron appear in the next film."

I don't hate Unicron, but I wouldn't want to see him appear any earlier than part 3.

No Unicron. No Galvatron. Please please!

Shockwave (and Megatron) should be the two main baddies in the sequel. It's a shame most folks are only familiar with cartoon-Shockwave and not the comic version.

No Unicron and no dinobots please. The allspark was destroyed so the conflict of plundering the earth for it's natural resources should be in the sequel.

I would also like the transformers sequel to have a unique intro like other blockbuster franchises:

Star Wars
Spiderman
X-Men
Lord of the Rings

Now that I contemplate this it was one of the things that I really disliked about Transformers. This franchise is too big to have bland intros.

Yeah I think we've already had to push our suspension of disbelief to their limits.. considering the type of ridiculous plot tie-ups Michael Bay is always prone to do, Unicron would be a severely bad idea.

Am I the only Unicron fan? What's with all the hate?

Unicron for pt 3.

Am I the only Unicron fan? What's with all the hate?

Unicron for pt 3.

I think they simply mean for the second film, which I agree with. I would LOVE to see a third film that has Unicron as the protagonist, perhaps even with Galvatron as a way to bring back Megs in a reference to the film. I'm just hoping that Unicron isn't forced into the second film- I'd be really disappointed if the carrier idea Bay has is really what he intends for Unicron. It would be all kinds of unbefitting for a planetoid-sized guy like him.

i'm betting starscream will lead in the 2nd movie, and a revived megatron or galvatron (if unicron is in), will lead in the 3rd movie.

or...maybe shockwave will lead. who cares? it wont be until like 2010 or something when the next tformers movie comes out. wow 2010; that sounds far into the future...like comic book time.

i dont think they should have the unicron because there are too many similarities to galactus and although this would be way better than the fantastic 4 silvver surfer movie it would probably have the same type of story and i wouldnt think that would work at all, itd be to broad even for transformers

No Season 3 or 1986 Movie Transformers. Season 3 floped so bad that they took the cartoon off TV in the USA . Losers like Arcee, Blurr, Rodimus Prime ,Wheelie, Ultra Magnus and other were one of the reasons season 3 floped so hard.

Season 1 and 2 had the most populer Transformers.

I do not want to see Unicon in the sequel. There are too many BETTER things they could do.

Megatron , Shockwave and Starscream should be the main villains in the next movie.

No Unicron.

No Galvatron.

No Scourge.

No Cyclonus.

Everything post-TF:The Movie '86 sucked! :cmad:

The simple reason folks why there will never be a Unicron is because of believability. Yes I know, Living robots.. not very believable but it was done to the extent that it is at least not laughable. Having a planet sized robot show up to munch on earth would be too "eye rolling" How would little tiny robots fight a Giant planet.. are they going to have ships like in the cartoon? are they going to buzz around it with their flight abilities as in the cartoon? The next movie is best served keeping it more based in reality than going cartoony.

No Unicron. No Galvatron. Please please!

Shockwave (and Megatron) should be the two main baddies in the sequel. It's a shame most folks are only familiar with cartoon-Shockwave and not the comic version.

Ditto, Shockwave is a must, period. I wouldn't mind if Blitzwing was in it as Shockwaves henchman. They really should put some focus on the Decepticons in TF2, have it centred on a power strugle between Shockwave, Starscream, and the revived Megatron.

Starscream should assume command of the Decepticons, talking smack on Megatron and Shockwave should go behind his back, somehow find Megatron - maybe with Barricade's help since he didn't get killed off - and revive Megatron about half way through.

I also love the Empire Strikes Back idea a la Decepticons get the most the autobots in part two. :)

NO UNICRON!

The simple reason folks why there will never be a Unicron is because of believability. Yes I know, Living robots.. not very believable but it was done to the extent that it is at least not laughable. Having a planet sized robot show up to munch on earth would be too "eye rolling" How would little tiny robots fight a Giant planet.. are they going to have ships like in the cartoon? are they going to buzz around it with their flight abilities as in the cartoon? The next movie is best served keeping it more based in reality than going cartoony.

That is exactly my sentiments. Although Star Wars had a vaguely similar idea, the Death Star was not a living Robot that devoured other planets and talked. Please, for the love of God, don't center this movie around it's toy sales. I know Unicron and the Dinobots would have 6 year old kids fantasizing in their dreams, but this time aorund it's grown up Transformers!

I'm also 100% for Megatron coming back as Megatron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"