Transformers The official "NO UNICRON IN THE SEQUEL" thread

You Unicon haters...it astounds me. Here is a character with such potential for epic sci fi storytelling and you people think he should be written off before they have a chance to explore that potential. Who says Unicron needs to attack Earth? That's what Cybertron is for. Who says Unicron needs to be a gigantic transforming planet? There many possible incarnations he could be; from an ancient version of the Transformers to a sort of harbinger of death for the Transformers...there's soo much potential.

Open your mind and quit closing doors that could lead to better stories...instead of pigeonholing the Transformer movies into vast action fests with little to no sci fi appeal.

Unicron is a great character; Transformers has great sci-fi appeal. It would be nice to see him as a harbringer of death to the Transformers/archenemy of Primus and AS A GIANT PLANET. However, knowing these filmmakers, if they show Unicron, expect him to be a biomechanical starship that looks like the Super Star Destroyer or worse, an aircraft carrier, his earth-mode. Better yet, a Stealth Bomber or an ICBM. :woot:

Out of curiousity, who would you want to see direct TF2?

I'd like to see Spielberg assume control and produce/direct the sequel.

I'd probably rather see someone other than Bay direct the sequel, but in all honesty, I'm more concerned with getting good writers and a GOOD plot than I am the director. I think that if Bay were handed a great script, he'd do just fine with it.

The only form of Unicron I am familiar with is the huge transforming planet. and I'm sorry, I just don't think it would work on screen. Even in the cartoon, the size ratios were way off. They had to be in order to show the Autobots attacking Unicron, but you can't pull those stunt in a live action film without serious repercusions. I say, no plaent sized Unicron, and I'm sure the rapid fanboys would say no to any other version of him. Just leave Unicron out, use the tons of other characters in Hasbro's toy box.

Its a movie...if presented intelligently, they can make anything seem plausible. Unicron is one of the most recognized Transformers...it would be stupid if he were to be left out completely.

Out of curiousity, who would you want to see direct TF2?

As I've said before...I wouldn't mind seeing what Brad Bird could bring to the table with Spielberg behind him. I wouldn't mind Spielberg taking the helm himself...but I'm sure they won't dump a box-office smashing franchise like this onto a hack director. Or at least I really hope they don't. *crosses fingers*

I'd like to see Spielberg assume control and produce/direct the sequel.

I'd probably rather see someone other than Bay direct the sequel, but in all honesty, I'm more concerned with getting good writers and a GOOD plot than I am the director. I think that if Bay were handed a great script, he'd do just fine with it.

I agree for the most part...but it will still seem more shallow than what another director could bring to the table. We'll see more of the same...which is a good and a bad thing. More good action...but also more shaky cam close ups where you can't really see the whole fight. More human interest than Transformers focus...that's just how Bay is. I still don't think he really respects what the Transformers used to be...but instead he appreciates what he's turned the Transformers into.

I agree for the most part...but it will still seem more shallow than what another director could bring to the table. We'll see more of the same...which is a good and a bad thing. More good action...but also more shaky cam close ups where you can't really see the whole fight. More human interest than Transformers focus...that's just how Bay is. I still don't think he really respects what the Transformers used to be...but instead he appreciates what he's turned the Transformers into.

I really didn't mind the large role of the human characters as much as I thought would, and I think that the film wouldn't have worked as well without. But I do agree with the majority that the Transformers should've had more development. I think the key with the sequel is to aim for more of a 50/50 balance instead of the 70/30 balance wo got with part one. I don't think Bay would be above doing that since I recall reading somewhere that he enjoyed worked with the TF's as actors.

That is a well thought analysis and I agree with you on everything you said. But I still don't want Unicron in a sequel.

Its a movie...if presented intelligently, they can make anything seem plausible. Unicron is one of the most recognized Transformers...it would be stupid if he were to be left out completely.

Unicron is only recognized by the hardcore fans that have seen the cartoon movie more than once since 1995, i.e. 3% of the audience that saw the live action movie.

Unicron is only recognized by the hardcore fans that have seen the cartoon movie more than once since 1995, i.e. 3% of the audience that saw the live action movie.

Same with Galvatron...and most of the general audience doesn't recognize most the Transformers anyway. Recognition for sequels is for the fans who are in the know...same with any comic book/superhero based movie. I've stated why I want Unicron...most here are just stating they don't want him due to size or just the plain fact that they don't want him at all. Not enough justification for me not to use him.

I think even non hardcore fans know who both Galvatron and Unicron are. As long as said fans are over the age of about 27. Galvatron is an amazing character who I would like to see in live action but it would sadly come at the price of Megatron (unless they gave him a different origin which i would hate). I'm still hoping Megatron somehoe turns up intthe sequel as we haven't sen enough of him (although I'm also not a fan of back fronthe dead stories.
As far as Unicron goes, I feel he's been done to death. The comics continued using him after his death as have subsequent cartons. I don't want to see him in the live action movies. I feel it wouldn't work (possibly why Fantastic Four had Galctus as a cloud instead of his giant humanoid form) and I also don't get the attraction. It worked in the '86 movie to seperate it from the series by having something different rather than just having a longer version of one of Megatrons schemes failing but I don't think there is a need for him in the TF world Bay has given us... not yet.
I originally didn't like the way the movie seemed like it was going to go but I stayed shut and now I'm glad I did. Bay gave us a decent movie and introduction to this new version of the story. I would like to see some familiar faces appear in the sequel and like to see more of the interaction between th TF's but I want new stories not a rehashing of the tired Unicron tale. Thats my opinion.

So, people want familiar faces...but don't want Unicron.

sounds pretty ironic to me.

I'm still not getting how people still believe Unicron would be stupid in a film where spheres of light act as the soul for 30 ft. tall robots who learn English through the Internet and continue fights that happened thousands of years ago as if they happened the day before.

So, people want familiar faces...but don't want Unicron.

sounds pretty ironic to me.

I dunno. I've never gotten the feeling that Unicron, despite his bigness and importance in the 86 movie's story, is a memorable fan "favorite" character. None of my friends ever bring him up.... it's always Soundwave, Shockwave, Cliffjumper, Jazz... etc etc. I wouldn't mind a Unicron-type story line in the 3rd chapter.... but definately not in Part 2.

I'm still not getting how people still believe Unicron would be stupid in a film where spheres of light act as the soul for 30 ft. tall robots who learn English through the Internet and continue fights that happened thousands of years ago as if they happened the day before.
It has to do with the size aspect. When you are showing something the size of a planet, you CANNOT show something the size of a semi-truck. So you get a result of lots of close-ups and very little screen time for full-size Unicron. Just not effective. There are just some characters in the Transformers mythos that just WILL NOT WORK in a live action film.

Because a gigantic planet sized living robot, bigger than a Death Star, that wants to eat Earth and talks isn't more ludicrous than what you just said. :huh: Lets leave the '86 kiddie induced ideas in the '80's... please.

Because a gigantic planet sized living robot, bigger than a Death Star, that wants to eat Earth and talks isn't more ludicrous than what you just said. :huh: Lets leave the '86 kiddie induced ideas in the '80's... please.

If you find that kiddie induced and you're a Transformers fan...then your sense of logic is beyond me. LOL!

The idea of Transformers already stretches the imaginations of most people... the idea of unicron is a five year old's wet dream.

I'd much rather the sequel focus on the character development of some of the more popular figures already introduced and center the plot around their struggle against each other than a planet eating space station that talks.

Well, I guess I'm a 5 year old because I think Unicron would be a good addition for a movie. Maybe not the next sequel but I'd like him at least mentioned in the 3rd movie. I agree with him not being part of the next movie...but ousting him altogether because you can't find a plausible reason to use him at all is your own opinion...and seems pretty funny to me that you see him as a very childish character but you can accept the rest of the Transformers as worthy of adult viewership...:huh:

It has to do with the size aspect. When you are showing something the size of a planet, you CANNOT show something the size of a semi-truck. So you get a result of lots of close-ups and very little screen time for full-size Unicron. Just not effective. There are just some characters in the Transformers mythos that just WILL NOT WORK in a live action film.

Your thoughts on this nosebleed??

and seems pretty funny to me that you see him as a very childish character but you can accept the rest of the Transformers as worthy of adult viewership...:huh:

As I stated...
tviceman said:
The idea of Transformers already stretches the imaginations of most people

I just think Unicron is too much science fiction, trying too hard to induce an epic struggle, and stretching out an idea in a fictional universe that is already full of ideas that are stretched out too much. When Transformers starts trying to do too much it'll go the way of Robocop... and just get really bad.

Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but I can't imagine Unicron a la '86 ending up as anything other than a giant heap of mess.

Save Unicron for part four or five. We need a Decepticon centered sequel, take the sequel to the dark side ala Empire Strikes Back

Agreed. I really want Megs back. I can't get enough of him and all his incarnation, minus the more recent series. Megatron was by far one of the greatest villians of all time in G1 and his Beast Wars counterpart was no joke either. I don;t know about you guys, but BW Megatron was almost more evil and insane than Galvatron himself, who was pretty ****ed up if you ask me.

Anywho, I think it should definitely be Decepticon centered. My thought idea is that with Megatron once again gone, Starscream assumes command of the Decepticons, much to the distress of those fiercly loyal to Megatron such as Soundwave, Scourge, etc. This causes alot of tension between the two factions of loyalists and Starscream's followers, leading to a large scale conflict that finds its way to earth, attracting the attention of Prime and the rest of the Autobots. Ultimately, Megatron is recovered by a team of Decepticons under Soundwave's orders. This could be the aircraft carrier character that was mentioned by the writers, teamed up with a submarine partner who locates Megatron's body, and the aircraft carrier recovers it. How they will revive him is anyone's guess, but please, please, please no Galvatron incarnations. Anywho, this should happen about midway through, and the reviving thing should be a lengthy process that Soundwave's troops work on for a god amount of time, finally bringing Megatron's spark back from the matrix and fully restoring him to life late in the movie. During all this time, the Autobots are fighting to keep both factions of the Decepticons from purging the earth's energon sources completely, which will have some convienent plot device to explain why energon is essential to earth's survival. Ultimately, once Megatron is revived, he goes on a rampage looking for Prime. The "brother" thing should be explored deeply in all this. I mean, very deeply. An epic, long duel ensues between Megatron and Prime, not for rule of earth vs. freedom, not for the protection of the energon. This battle should be a very personal one, which make for it to be all the more epic and deep. The battle should almost result in Megatron killing Prime, only to be interrupted by Starscream's Seekers, led by Starscream himself, attacking the two combatants, resulting in Starscream learning of Megatron's second return. Starscream, however, is not shaken by the return of his former commander, and instead uses the fight as an opportunity to begin his campaign for supreme rule over the Decepticons. Prime is rescued by some Autobots. Megatron could have two options in this scenario. Either the writers could have him retaliate, destroying the Seekers, and concluding the film with a climactic final showdown between Starscream and Megatron, and by climactic I mean that it needs to be the most jaw dropping, fangasmic, ultimate battle ever witnessed (that is, until the true final battle betweem Megatron and Prime). Who emerges victorious is anyone's guess. My money is on Megatron, simply because killing him for the second time in a row would be rather unintelligent and irritating.

Whew... kinda got a bit carried away there, lol. :oldrazz:

No Unicron or Galvation or Season 3 Transformers. Someone should tell Bay and the others that the 86 movie floped.

The 86 movie is still popular to this day. It may have flopped at the BO but its DVD sales have been phenomenal.

The first sequel, without a doubt in my mind, so focus solely on character development, more of the back story on Cybertron, and the Autobot vs. Decepticon struggle. Megatron should be revived, but should not become Galvatron.

Bringing in Unicron will vastly take away from what this iteration of Transformers is currently lacking: developed characters, and vs. decepticon fights. If Unicron is the central struggle then the movie will either be way to busy, (too much happening at once for any of it to feel worthy on it's own, a la Spiderman 3) or worse, it'll be nothing more than a bloated, ugly mess.

regarding u guys saying NO UNICRON: I WANT UNICRON WHETHER HE'S IN IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"