The Official Pirates of The Caribbean: World's End Thread!

You had to bump up a thread that's been stagnant for 3 months just to say that? :huh:

Don't know why this thread was bumped, but since it has I'll add my opinion. I avoided this movie like the plague when it was in theaters. I finally saw it at a friends house and... I wish I hadn't. This movie is trash. How did they go from such an amazing first film to such a horrible, poorly constructed, poorly explained, poorly acted film?!?

I actually thought this was finally a trilogy that hit its highpoint on the third film, rather than the second (Well, next to Indy). :up:

Don't know why this thread was bumped, but since it has I'll add my opinion. I avoided this movie like the plague when it was in theaters. I finally saw it at a friends house and... I wish I hadn't. This movie is trash. How did they go from such an amazing first film to such a horrible, poorly constructed, poorly explained, poorly acted film?!?

The second one made so much money that when they filmed the majority of the third (which was after the second film's release I think), they just said "screw it, we're gonna make a bunch of money anyways." so they filmed whatever they wanted. ANd then they made a bunch of money. So sad. Imagine how much the sequels would have made if they had been good movies.....

The third one is good I think, as I said I still prefer the second one.

I just like the whole "sea-faring myth" side of the whole trilogy.

Thats why I prefer the second one, because the third ones all a bit convoluted, the first ones about undead skeleton pirates (show me a book where they are mentioned in pirate lore).

Whereas the kraken, Davy Jones (and his respectful locker), Flying Dutchman as well as all the crazy stuff in it, it just rocks.

Thats why I prefer the second one, because the third ones all a bit convoluted, the first ones about undead skeleton pirates (show me a book where they are mentioned in pirate lore).

Whereas the kraken, Davy Jones (and his respectful locker), Flying Dutchman as well as all the crazy stuff in it, it just rocks.

Even though, the Kraken a HUGE part of the second movie is reduced to a side mention and showing it dead on shore, Davy Jones, let's introduce a back story to him in the 3rd movie and let's not do anything with that.

These movies had some good ideas but very poor execution. All it was was a Summer popcorn movie with very little substance.

Would you say Spider-Man 3 convoluted, or a different kind of convoluted?

Indeed. I have to say the third edges out DMC for me, simply because of the Pirate Lords. I really liked the idea behind such a confederation, and their base of operations was a nice spectacle. I would've liked to have seen more of that Turkish prison from DMC though.

Even though, the Kraken a HUGE part of the second movie is reduced to a side mention and [blackout]showing it dead on shore[/blackout], Davy Jones, let's introduce a back story to him in the 3rd movie and let's not do anything with that.

These movies had some good ideas but very poor execution. All it was was a Summer popcorn movie with very little substance.

Wait a tick - Davy Jones is apart of the story and his heart is the thing that is important, the East India Trading Co took it to take over the seas (because Davy Jones rules the sea) and thus threatening the very existence of piracy. And with that note, it makes sense [blackout]why the kraken is just on the beach in the third one to emphasize that Davy is being controlled and the EITC doesn't want him betraying them so they killed the kraken[/blackout].

The back story I assume you're talking about is [blackout]the romance between him and Calypso. This was apart of the pirate's defence (headlined by Barbossa, who knew of Tia Dalma's secret) and Davy was also apart of the EITC finding out about Calypso. It was just "that time of the month" for Calypso, she goes full out angry over everyone because of her being trapped in the human form[/blackout].

Everything is in the movies for a reason. It all makes sense to me...:huh: :huh: :huh:

I won't lie, it's a bit messy, but I personally LOVED Spider-Man 3, I loved the whole black suit story, Sandman's story and all the tongue-in-cheek corniness of it all.

In the theaters, if you went to the bathroom, you were screwed for the rest of the movie. One thing I liked--even though Calypso could've and should've been done in a more subtle way--is Pintel's "Is that it? Why, she's no help at all" line. A better way to showcase her would've been to have Tia not grow into a giant woman, but rather have the skies darken, lightning strike the ropes binding her, and have her transform into an mostly androgynous turquoise or sea-green figure with a few feminine features, particularly in the face and chest area.

In the theaters, if you went to the bathroom, you were screwed for the rest of the movie. One thing I liked--even though Calypso could've and should've been done in a more subtle way--is Pintel's "Is that it? Why, she's no help at all" line. A better way to showcase her would've been to have Tia not grow into a giant woman, but rather have the skies darken, lightning strike the ropes binding her, and have her transform into an mostly androgynous turquoise or sea-green figure with a few feminine features, particularly in the face and chest area.

I never go to the bathroom during a movie. I paid a good $12.50 to watch a movie, not take a tinkle.

Anyways, her growing huge and looking the same is in honour of the pirate movies of yore when stuff like that happened.

I think the pirates movies are perfect the way they are. Sure, they're flawed, but I still think they are great movies.

Wait a tick - Davy Jones is apart of the story and his heart is the thing that is important, the East India Trading Co took it to take over the seas (because Davy Jones rules the sea) and thus threatening the very existence of piracy. And with that note, it makes sense [blackout]why the kraken is just on the beach in the third one to emphasize that Davy is being controlled and the EITC doesn't want him betraying them so they killed the kraken[/blackout].

The back story I assume you're talking about is [blackout]the romance between him and Calypso. This was apart of the pirate's defence (headlined by Barbossa, who knew of Tia Dalma's secret) and Davy was also apart of the EITC finding out about Calypso. It was just "that time of the month" for Calypso, she goes full out angry over everyone because of her being trapped in the human form[/blackout].

Everything is in the movies for a reason. It all makes sense to me...:huh: :huh: :huh:
It all makes "sense" but it's lazy story telling.

1. Kraken: You're not following me, how can a major story plot such as the Kraken a BIG part of DMC, be reduced to 3 lines of dialogue and a scene of it dead on shore.

2. What was the point of introducing the back story of Davy Jones, when there was NO RESOLUTION between his character and Tia Dalma.

Not to mention the forced love triangle of Sparrow, Elizabeth and Will. Forced upon everyone as needless drama in the 2nd movie, and reduced just like the Kraken, a few lines of dialogue and that was it.

But the BIGGEST insult was the ENTIRE PLOT of the Pirate Lords. Okay, let's get all the Pirates together to fight as one against the EITC. Where was the Battle of Endor/Hoth or the Battle of Helm's Deep/Minas Tirith but with Ships? No, it's only 2 ships that fight. :down

And before you go "Oh, well their purpose was to release Tia Dalma." Wow. So they are on the sea where bad weather and whirlpools are not out of the realm of possibilities, but they needed that needless storyline to do so?

They could have just had Balbossa run around Tia Dalma 3 times and that would have released her powers.

Like I said, lazy and poor storytelling, it was like getting a bunch of school kids to write it. "And then they fight in a whirlpool. Yeah, that'd be cool." :whatever:

Showing not telling was a bad idea, yeah. Rather than release Calypso, I think using her to get to Jones would've been a wiser idea. However, if that were the case then the crew would not have needed to retrieve Jack from the Locker.

I forgot Norrington as well. Huge part of 1 & 2, reduced to a quick end in 3. :huh:

I voted a 7, but now that I think of it, 8. I liked the ending more than I thought I would. Liked Dead Man's Chest better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"