Playstation The Official PlayStation 6 Thread

This generation feels like it hasn't quite started in terms of big graphical jumps. It feels like the success of the biggest GAAS games have not only led to everyone wasting resources on targeting the same success, also the fact that those kinds of games don't usually push visual boundaries has also constrained development. Add to that that the jump between gens gets more marginal as time goes on.
But we are almost into the fourth year of this generation. I can understand the first two years being cross gen and transitional, but three years in? That should be enough time to feel like the generation has at least started on big graphical jumps.

I also understand that games are increasingly expensive to develop, but no doubt that Insomniac had a great big budget for their game. I'm sure that with big graphical jumps, Spider-Man 2 isn't the best the Ps5 has to offer, but in the previous generation, we had a game like Infamous Second Son which immediately showed off what the Ps4 was capable of.

Ps5, not so much. Sony is expecting to sell 25 million consoles and I'm sure they'll reach their goal and then some but so far it doesn't feel like a leap in technology in anything besides numbers.

I think we will see more of this graphical jump when Ps6 is released which is around 2028. But I think the big PS5 games by 2026 to 2028, should look much so much better than the games that came out in 2018 (Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2).

I don't have a ps5 yet. But the games that came out in ps4 from 2020/2021 (Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 3, Guardians of the GalaXy, Miles Morales) - based from my eyes, all look leveled up (graphics wise) when I played them, compare to early ps4 games. So hopefully that will be the same for the late PS5 games in 3 to 5 years.

But we are almost into the fourth year of this generation. I can understand the first two years being cross gen and transitional, but three years in? That should be enough time to feel like the generation has at least started on big graphical jumps.

I also understand that games are increasingly expensive to develop, but no doubt that Insomniac had a great big budget for their game. I'm sure that with big graphical jumps, Spider-Man 2 isn't the best the Ps5 has to offer, but in the previous generation, we had a game like Infamous Second Son which immediately showed off what the Ps4 was capable of.

Ps5, not so much. Sony is expecting to sell 25 million consoles and I'm sure they'll reach their goal and then some but so far it doesn't feel like a leap in technology in anything besides numbers.
Covid and games taking longer to get made have impacted too. Horizon was a decent looking game. I'm with you though, I want actual jumps that give us some wow factor and excitement for developing technology.

Hopefully Sony's future big games will push the limits of the PS5. Spider-Man 2 from the looks of it (well I don't think YouTube videos are accurate, as I'm sure the graphiX look better with the ps5), but imo it doesn't look graphically leveled up that much compare to Spider-Man 2018, despite the 5 year difference. I also noticed that with MK11 to MK1, RE2R to RE4R, God of War 2018 to Ragnarök. Forbidden West though looked much better than Zero Dawn. Zero Dawn still looks good and was ahead of its time. But visually, the first game really feels it was for the ps4 and the second one is for the PS5. Though I will have to witness all of these games for myself when I finally bought these games for the ps5, to get a better look. But so far based from the videos, we have yet to see a massive jump when it comes to the graphiX. Right now, you will really have to watch a comparison montage to see the difference, but a lot of ps4 ports of ps5 games still look mostly the same, based from the ones I watched.

Grand Theft Auto VI though would be such a revelation, especially the last game is already 10 years old, so its a no brainer that it should look ten times better.

Hopefully Sony's future big games will push the limits of the PS5. Spider-Man 2 from the looks of it (well I don't think YouTube videos are accurate, as I'm sure the graphiX look better with the ps5), but imo it doesn't look graphically leveled up that much compare to Spider-Man 2018, despite the 5 year difference. I also noticed that with MK11 to MK1, RE2R to RE4R, God of War 2018 to Ragnarök. Forbidden West though looked much better than Zero Dawn. Zero Dawn still looks good and was ahead of its time. But visually, the first game really feels it was for the ps4 and the second one is for the PS5. Though I will have to witness all of these games for myself when I finally bought these games for the ps5, to get a better look. But so far based from the videos, we have yet to see a massive jump when it comes to the graphiX. Right now, you will really have to watch a comparison montage to see the difference, but a lot of ps4 ports of ps5 games still look mostly the same, based from the ones I watched.

Grand Theft Auto VI though would be such a revelation, especially the last game is already 10 years old, so its a no brainer that it should look ten times better.
Agreed, many of those games looked similar to their predecessors but Horizon took a step up. I don’t think we’ll get anything too eye-popping till late in this gen though.

Agreed, many of those games looked similar to their predecessors but Horizon took a step up. I don’t think we’ll get anything too eye-popping till late in this gen though.
eXcited for the neXt Naughty Dog's single-player game. Uncharted was my 1st PS4 game, so those graphiX blew my mind.

eXcited for the neXt Naughty Dog's single-player game. Uncharted was my 1st PS4 game, so those graphiX blew my mind.
I’m a big fan of ND and Uncharted is one of of my overall favourite series. Not sure if they are going back to it anytime soon (maybe after TLOU3 and/or a new IP) but that would be huge news for me. Factions has just wasted a huge amount of their time unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"