The Official PSP Games Thread

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
Not every game can be a MGS Peace Walker or Kingdom Hearts. The PSP community seems to be smaller here and alot of the games dont get discussed much or seem to be able to sustain their own thread. I thought I'd create this one for just random talk of all PSP games with a focus on the less popular ones. Discuss

All I can say is, I wish there were more RPG's available, and I don't mean action RPG's.

I like the idea of this thread so I don't want it to die.

PSP has always been a mixed bag for me. Recently I picked up Resistance: Retribution, now there's an awesome game. It works very smoothly and even if you can't control it,hook it up to R2 to play with a dualshock :up:

I thought Resistance was a great game. For a 3rd person shooter, it worked really well. I loved how they implemented DS3 support. Im shocked and dumbfounded as to why that feature never made its way into any other game. Id kill to play the upcoming MGS Peace Walker with a PS3 controller. That was such a unique and interesting feature and I thought developers would have jumped on it, especially since one of the biggest complaints for many PSP games is the lack of a 2nd analog stick.

Not only should DS3 functionality come with all PSP games now, but so should reverses remote play. We can get PS3 on our PSPs... so why not get PSPs up on our TVs via PS3? I know the 2000 gave some kind of functionality where you could play PSP on your TV, but that's without a DualShock, and that could really help some PSP titles like Jak and Daxter.

I thought it would have become more standard considering the 3000s added bluetooth support. That would have made syncing up the 2 systems easier and with BT, you wouldnt even need the PS3 to use your DS3 on your PSP

Bah, why haven't Sony done this?

Still, Metal Gear's "rush out and buy a PSP" feature hasn't been revealed yet. Maybe that's what we're getting.

I'll be getting a PSP with the Metal Gear Solid: Pace Walker bundle come June. What games do you guys have to recommend for me as this will be my first time having a PSP

I'll be getting a PSP with the Metal Gear Solid: Pace Walker bundle come June. What games do you guys have to recommend for me as this will be my first time having a PSP
Not sure what you like but some of the better games include

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Resistance Retribution
Loco Roco 1 and 2
Patapon 1 and 2
Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero?
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
God of War Chains of Olympus
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
GTA: Chinatown Wars
CastlevaniaL The Dracula X Chronicles
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Killzone Liberation
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Legend
Burnour Dominator
Daxter
SSX: On Tour
Rockband Unplugged
Twisted Metal: Head On

With my PS3 down, Ive been playing more PSP games.im currently playing TA Chinatown Wars and Castlevania

Chinatown Wars is sooooooooo good. I'm finishing up Retribution at the moment, really enjoying it but never has a character and a story bothered me so much in a game.

James Grayson is the worst character to ever grace a video game, with horrendous voice acting, and the most horrific one-liners in the industry's history.

Anyway, considering picking up LBP before we get into Peace Walker/Valkyria 2 season.

IA, Chinatown Wars is good. Its a shame taht so many are quick to write it off as not being a real GTA game bc it took on a top own approach (which isnt really quite top down). It may be different than Vice City/Liberty City Stories, but its still a good game in the series

I also wouldnt ignore the PSP Minis. They are great for someone like me. I love my PSP, but in a handheld I prefer the smaller, quirky titles like Loco Roco, Patapon, etc... I look for games whcih are light on story, are shorter and dont require much time investment. Unofruntately tehre werent many of those as most titles tended to be console type games. The minis fix that. They are great for those who like to pick things up quickly and come back weeks, or months later. Here are some I would reccommend:

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
Uno
Tetris
Sneezies
Hysteria Project
Bloons
Spot the Difference
Age of Zombies
Monopoly

Whats great is that they are fairly inexpensive. For the most part they range from $1.99 - 4.99 although there are a few exceptions.

Also all PS1 games are backward compatible with your PSP. You can download them off the PSN store. If you own a PS3, you can put the disc in that and play it on your PSP, via remote play. I think I will be playing the Megaman games again. Loved them and its been a while

I was thinking about getting Killzone Liberation and Metal Gear Portable Ops anyone play it think its worth it?

I've compiled a list of what I feel are among the best PSP games per genre. Definetly not complete by any means but its varied and covers alot of ground. Feel free to add some others. I also added some honorable mentions based on reviews and other gamers opinions. These are defiently games I'd reccommend for owners or future owners of a PSP who are undecided on where to begin.

pspaction.png

Action
1. God of War Chains of Olympus
2. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
4. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
5. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Honorable Mention
1. Silent Hill Origin

pspcompilation.png

Compilations/Collections
1. Capcom Classics Collection Remix
2. Powerstone Collection
3. Sega Genesis Collection

Honorable Mention
1. Gradius Collection
2. Namco Museum Battle Collection

pspfighting.png

Fighting
1. Def Jam: Fight for NY
2. Dissidia: Final Fantasy
3. Mortal Kombat Unchained
4. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
5. Tekken 6

Honorable Mentions
1. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Portable
2. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus

pspmisc.png

Music/Misc
1. LocoRoco, LocoRoco Midnight Carnival, LocoRoco 2
2. Patapon 1-2
3. Rockband Unplugged

Honorable Mention
1. Every Extend Extra
2. Lumines 1-2

pspplatform.png

Platform
1. Daxter
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero?

Honorable Mentions
1. Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
2. N+
3. Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

psppsn.png

PSN
1. Echochrome
2. Everyday Shooter
3. Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
4. Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe

psppuzzle.png

Puzzle
1. Bust a Move Deluxe
2. Buzz: Master Quiz
3. Crush
4. Exit

Honorable Mentions
1. Echoshift
2. Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords

pspracing.png

Racing/Driving
1. Burnout Dominator
2. Burnout Legends

Honorable Mentions
3. Modnation Racer
4. MotorStorm: Arctic Edge
5. Twisted Metal: Head On
6. Wipeout Pure

pspremakes.png

Remakes
1. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
2. Megaman Maverick Hunter X
3. Megaman Powered Up

Honorable Mentions
1. Final Fantasy
2. Final Fantasy II
3. Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions
4. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
5. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

psprpg.png

RPG
1. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Honorable Mention
2. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
3. Half Minute Hero
4. Jeanne d'Arc

pspshooters.png

Shooter
1. Killzone Liberation
2. Resistance Retribution

Honorable Mentions
1. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALS Fireteam Bravo 3
2. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

pspsports.png

Sports
1. SSX On Tour

Honorable Mention
1. MLB: 10 The Show
2. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
3. Virtua Tennis World Tour
4. NBA Street Showdown
5. Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 1-2

pspminis.png

PSP Minis
1. Bloons
2. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
3. Sneezies
4. Spot the Differences!

Honorable Mentions
1. Age of Zombies
2. Monopoly
3. Tetris
4. Uno

Upcoming Titles
1. Final Fantasy Agito XIII
2. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
4. Meal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
6. The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3)
7. Valkyria Chronicles 2

Thanks for the list as well as covers Havok. I'm looking forward to finally getting a PSP with Peace Walker next month. I can finally catch up on all the games I've missed out on over the years

You miss my favorite PSP game; FF Tactics: War of Lions! Perhaps my favorite RPG past Fallout 1/2.

I bought a PSP a couple of months ago. I ended up getting Star Wars : The Clone Wars : Republic Heroes. It was pretty good despite some of the glitches. My brother let me borrow God of War : Chains of Olympus and Capcom Classics : Remix. If it wasn't for college I'd get more games sooner.

pspshooters.png

Shooter
1. Killzone Liberation
2. Resistance Retribution

Honorable Mentions
1. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALS Fireteam Bravo 3
2. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

pspsports.png

Sports
1. SSX On Tour

Honorable Mention
1. MLB: 10 The Show
2. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
3. Virtua Tennis World Tour
4. NBA Street Showdown
5. Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 1-2

pspminis.png

PSP Minis
1. Bloons
2. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
3. Sneezies
4. Spot the Differences!

Honorable Mentions
1. Age of Zombies
2. Monopoly
3. Tetris
4. Uno

Upcoming Titles
1. Final Fantasy Agito XIII
2. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
4. Meal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
6. The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3)
7. Valkyria Chronicles 2
thanks for the list. was plannin on buying one today. :yay:

question about memory. i was told you need a stick even for game saves. im buying a psp for movies just as much as i am for games. is 8gb enough or should i go for a 16bg stick?

thanks for the list. was plannin on buying one today. :yay:

question about memory. i was told you need a stick even for game saves. im buying a psp for movies just as much as i am for games. is 8gb enough or should i go for a 16bg stick?
If you are getting a regular PSP, you do need a memory stick. The Go has internal memory

how big are your typical save files, couple 100kb? do firmware/software updates take up memory as well?

is the psp slim really that much better than the original fatty? i heard it has slightly better load time but the guy at gamestop said its more fragile. did they improve the battery life at all? i bought a slim last week and held one in my hand for the first time, i felt like i was gonna break the thing. the damn thing ended up being defective regardless so i took it back and now ended up with the original. i still got a couples day left to swap it with another slim if its worth the extra $20.

how big are your typical save files, couple 100kb? do firmware/software updates take up memory as well?
I would say the save files are about 300-500kb. Some are more, some are less.

is the psp slim really that much better than the original fatty? i heard it has slightly better load time but the guy at gamestop said its more fragile. did they improve the battery life at all? i bought a slim last week and held one in my hand for the first time, i felt like i was gonna break the thing. the damn thing ended up being defective regardless so i took it back and now ended up with the original. i still got a couples day left to swap it with another slim if its worth the extra $20.
The Slims are better than the original fat PSP and theres no reason why anyone should want to get that. For one they improved the dpad which was uncomfortable and hard to use in the original. You will find yourself annoyed in games that use it. The buttons were also given more tactile feedback for a better feel. The slim is obviously slimmer and weighs less. I never owned a fat to tell if the slim is more fragile, but I feel the slim is secure enough and never felt it to be fragile, except maybe the UMD tray. Here are some extra features of the slim (Im assuming you got the 3000)

It has a brighter screen and better contrast
Microphone
Internal changes which include the removal of a metal chassis (used to reduce damage in the event of sudden trauma to the system resulting from the user dropping the system on a hard surface)
Better loading times resulting from a doubling of internal memory of 32mb to 64mb
Improved browser performance
Video out feature which allows for playback of the PSP on a tv
USB charging. The original can only charge via the AC adapter. The slims can charge with a USB cable and any pc

These are some of the added features. I may have missed some. I definetly would trade your fat for a slim bc again theres no reason why anyone would want the original. Its inferior in nearly every way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"