The Official Superman Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoughNTumble

RoughNTumble i m not desperate

after the gail simone pr disaster, they've made sure that their creators know if they badmouth DC, they're burning their bridges

bleeding cool might leak it though

2. 7heBoss

7heBoss Well-Known Member

Ugh, what horrible news to arrive to here at the Hype. I was really optimistic about Diggle's planned runs on Action Comics. I atleast hope they managed to finish one complete story arc under diggle rather than half with diggle half with daniel. I just have to look on the bright side, at least morrison's run is over. (sorry for those of you that are fans)

The biggest problem i have with this nano tech is that if it can materialize and shift continually than at no point will superman EVER show signs of battle. His suit will always look in mint condition instead of tattered and torn after a particularly rough fight.

3. IamtheBatman

IamtheBatman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed All Star Supes but now its too much with Morrison and Action Comics.

4. 7heBoss

Yeah, All-Star Superman was really good. However I was getting sick of him on Action. Maybe he will come back some day and I'll appreciate him then.

So bad Superman news left and right this week. Didn't realise that Tony Daniel will only do art for 3 issues. That sucks. I wonder who will continue after that. I hope it isn't Morales, I am really not a fan of his. I also came to realize last week that Rocafort's art is also coming to an end on Superman. That is really depressing. My only wish is that Brett Booth would take on a Superman Monthly, I am really liking him right now. It bums be out that he left Teen Titans. I was really digging that book. I might pick up Nightwing just to see his art.

5. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

So, Action #18. Personally, I loved it. It was whacky, cerebral, and powerful. That final image of Superman and Krypto? I freaking saved it to my iPad. I feel like I need to reread the entire run to understand everything that was actually happening, but even so, Morrison always provides wonderful Superman.

What're your thoughts?

6. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

That's assuming the suit is constantly 'online', for lack of a better word. It may be a fairly simplistic nano-tech where it simply forms the suit using a memory function, much like how Batman's cape in Nolan's film can retain a certain structure. Supe's suit could still show battle damage until he totally deactivates it and reactivates it.

7. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

I liked it, but it seemed very compressed, even for a Grant Morrison comic and didn't fully resolve everything introduced in the last couple issues. In my opinion, Grant should have stayed a few issues longer, maybe ended his Batman and Superman at the same time.

8. 7heBoss

It definitely was easier to follow once I read the entire thing over again in one sitting, but even still it was a lot to take in. It was okay in my opinion, made continuity a little confusing. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. Overall I enjoyed the arc but I am excited for a new creative team. Even if Diggle already quit the project.

9. IamtheBatman

IamtheBatman Well-Known Member

10. Spade

Spade Seeking new challengers

Hope I never find myself in a copyright disagreement. I'm gonna be 50 and this will still be in litigation.

11. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

Yeah, the main problem I have is that it's armor. There's always this ambiguity over whether Superman accomplished a feat with his own innate power or if the suit gave him a boost, and I hate that. He's not Iron Man.

But as far as the suit "morphing" on to him, that's no where near one of the most far fetched things I've seen in comics, not by a long shot.

Btw, if the sun was red during the battle against Superdoom and the others, how was Superman flying? I feel like I'm forgetting something. And if he had his powers back, why did he need his cape to protect him when Superdoom threw the helicopter at him, and why was lifting Superdoom into space treated like an impossible feat? He wasn't that big.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

Huh?

13. Lead Cenobite

It's never been stated whether Superman's armor is just for protection (like super-kevlar or something) or if it's power armor like Iron Man's which actually gives the wearer super/enhanced strength.

14. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

They haven't addressed it because there's no reason to think that. He wears the armor because that's a garment as indestructible as he is and it has his symbol on it.

15. Lead Cenobite

He did need it to give him an edge in the battle against the Collector and Metallo, though it was never established if it was just for protection or for strength enhancement too.

16. 7heBoss

I would like to think that all of his strength is purely his own and not an extension of his suits abilities. However I understand your concern. I don't want people ever thinking something along the lines as "Superman wouldn't even be that powerful if it wasn't for his suit, blah blah blah"

I do remember though that at the beginning of Superman Issue 13, Superman was benchpressing about 6 Sextillion Metric Tons for 5 days and he only broke a single drop of sweat. He wasn't wearing his suit during these trials.
    [​IMG]

17. Lead Cenobite

I guess I'm being a little paranoid, but although he wasn't wearing the suit, he seemed to still have the S on his chest.

18. 7heBoss

Just finished reading Superman #18... was it just me or did Clark/Superman come off as a total ***hole? The whole time I was just thinking, "jeez, what a jerk..." I hope they explore a reason as to why because it seemed pretty out of character

19. 7heBoss

I suppose his change in character could be...
    for the same reason that people were jumping off the building. Someone, probably Hector Hammond, is influencing his actions.

20. Lead Cenobite

Or his characterization has been changed from mild mannered reporter to mild mannered killjoy.

21. Panthro

Panthro Team Language

Probably when MOS comes out and DC goes "Oh snap, we have to deal with the 2 or 3 new fans we got from the movie who are gonna be all like why isn't he dating Lois?"

22. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

It's the new and improved New 52 Clark! :whatever:

23. 7heBoss

I don't know, I don't seem to recall Clark being particular mean in previous issues. This is the first I've noticed.

As for Wonder Woman, I dont mind that they are together for now. I am sure he will lois eventually. Isn't The Trinity Wars starting soon. they will probably end things there. I don't even think they really explored them dating so so far it seemed like a waste of time

24. Spade

Spade Seeking new challengers

Anyone here buy Superman Family Adventures? They've been playing with the Superman canon in a fun way. This month's was a great example how.

25. Cain

Cain I Heart Amazons

Yes. I've been buying it since the summer and it's been consistently in my top 5 reads every month ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.