The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

Loving Superman in Rebirth and Trinity was a hoot.

Action comics #964 was interesting. Wondering who the bearded man was.

The doomsday arc that opened action comics was pretty lame. But the past couple issues of this new arc have been significantly better. It has the charm of a wonky 60s Superman story, but it's written well enough that it totally works.

Still haven't got Superman #8 (well, and the rest of my list) this week. The reviews I've seen about it said it was great, again!. What did you guys think?

Happy 20th Anniversary Lois & Clark, on this day both the comic and tv verse had Superman tie the knot officially. Imo Lane & Kent are original super couple of comics. Their relationship has been a timeless tale that has transcended through history being retold again and again through various forms of media. I'm a huge fan of there's and I love that their back prime and central in Superman comics thanks to Rebirth.
2nqxj6b.jpg

w724d1.jpg

t0hnns.jpg

nvxlr9.jpg

15qozgo.jpg

4kdw6v.jpg

4uz215.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Still haven't got Superman #8 (well, and the rest of my list) this week. The reviews I've seen about it said it was great, again!. What did you guys think?

It is great. Incorporates some New Frontier stuff, so this'll be a fun arc.

And January is already shaping up to be epic!

2u5sxnq.jpg

Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
Covers by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

“MULTIPLICITY” part one! The New Super-Man of China has been taken! The Red Son Superman of Earth-30 has been beaten! And who knows what’s happened to Sunshine Superman! Someone is collecting Supermen across the Multiverse—this looks like a job for our Kal-El as he is joined by Justice Incarnate in this multi-Earth epic!

On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/12/exclusive-/1

Last edited:
Tomasi and Gleason's follow-up to Morrison's Multiversity? :mrk:

Tomasi and Gleason's follow-up to Morrison's Multiversity? :mrk:

Yup! there's possibly more exciting stuff to come:

f2ltfk.jpg

TITANS #7
Written by DAN ABNETT
Art and cover by guest artist LEE WEEKS
Variant cover by NICK BRADSHAW

“Home Sweet Home”! A new threat brings Wally West face to face with the Man of Steel, and the two recognize each other as kindred souls from another world. Plus, the Titans set up their new Tower in New York City!

On sale JANUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Gotta say, Jurgens's first 6 issues on Action were terrible for me, infact I was *this* close to dropping the book but the last 3 issues have really picked up and I'm finding myself really enjoying it.

I finally bit the bullet and read Morrison's New 52 Action run. I have... mixed feelings on it.

I finally bit the bullet and read Morrison's New 52 Action run. I have... mixed feelings on it.

yeah? I really liked it personally. Although I have to say that the whole thing fell apart in the last 3 issues when morrison went too 'morrison' with it.

I loved Morrison's Action run, one of my favorite Supes runs to date, but I'll admit I didn't love the end as much as the rest of it.

yeah? I really liked it personally. Although I have to say that the whole thing fell apart in the last 3 issues when morrison went too 'morrison' with it.

I loved Morrison's Action run, one of my favorite Supes runs to date, but I'll admit I didn't love the end as much as the rest of it.

For me-- other than the more brash Superman (50/50 on that... Maybe 60/40 the leaning other way) and generally feeling kind of... cold, I guess-- the problems were in its pacing.

I get that he was going for a younger, go-getter Supes who's in constant action, but the pace often didn't suit certain plot/character developments. Namely, Superman being rejected by the public and subsequently hanging up the cape... Which took place over two panels in AC #3, only for him to come back a couple of pages after that. Most irritating to me, was the inclusion of John Henry Irons, who appears in a few panels in #2, then the next time we see him an issue or two later, becomes Steel for no real reason.

I'm usually an advocate for fast-paced entertainment, but combined with Morrison's heady ideas... It can go too far, and leave the characters feeling less like characters and more like concepts to carry those ideas.

Overall, it's just sloppier than I'd like, especially with all the time hopping. I read afterwards that Morrison was only commissioned to do six issues of pre-FP AC, then got a call saying it would be a reboot and asking if he could handle that... THEN extending the run even further after writing had begun. I feel like maybe that explains the sloppy feel.

For that reason, I probably liked the end of the run :-)eek:) better than the beginning, because once all was revealed, it felt like all the seemingly random, thrown-in ideas retroactively came together, though not as cleanly as I'd like.

I'm currently reading through the first volume again to see if it all plays better the second time (I find a lot of Morrison stuff does, personally).

I'd rate it above the only other N52 story I've bothered with-- Superman Unchained. Not that SU was bad, not at all. Just that it was a pretty standard "summer blockbuster" Superman story, with Superman vs the military and yet another new morally ambiguous Anti-Superman that forces Supes to question his own effectiveness, but Superman's goshdarn goodness pushes the new guy to see the error of his ways and self-sacrifice (conveniently taking him off the board in the future). And the Batman cameo. Because of course.

It's all very plain, but fun enough.

(I have Darkseid War incoming, which'll mark my third N52 story).

EDIT: I forgot a big thing. It often feels more cynical than I expected. Personified, obviously, by the whole SuperDoom thing. Still entertaining and well written, but I didn't want that feeling of "Boy, Morrison's really done with Big Two superheroes" while reading an opening run to an all new version of one. Morrison's jab at the whole "WB mandated reboot" thing? Maybe...

One thing I didn't expect to love as much as I did was Calvin Ellis aka The President Superman of Earth-23. I'd love a six-issue mini devoted to him. Luckily I've got Multiversity on the shelf and ready to give me another dose of that character, plus I see he's appearing in Tomasi's Multiplicity, so... :up:

Other things I loved-- Dr. Xa-Du, Krypto's new origin, Susie Thompkins and Vyndktvx.

Last edited:
The costume just looks so bland being all blue. Taking away the trunks was bad enough, but now they took away the red boots too. Why?

Blue boots just looks odd to me for some reason. Mostly blue from head to toe makes it look like footie pajamas. I'd rather have the traditional red boots. The suit would be fine that way, even without the trunks.

This title just keeps getting better and better. Watching Supes lay waste to the batcave looking for Jon = :wow:

Based on the latest issue of Superman, I can't see Jon joining the Teen Titans with Damian there.

Another amazing issue! You can really feel how the creative team is enjoying working on this title!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"