• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Superman Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really hoping that they change that. I've really been liking that DC has turned Action Comics into a Superman-centric anthology comic that stars characters like Nightwing & Flamebird, Lex Luthor, and Jimmy Olsen. I'd honestly be a little disappointed if Superman just came back and took over the book.

I think it would be better for both Superman and Action Comics is to have Cornell write both of them with Superman obviously starring in Superman and Action Comics being a full on Superman-centric anthology title starring the various Superman cast members of Metropolis. It would be a great way to give exposure to various characters such as Steel, Lois Lane, more Jimmy Olsen, the Metropolis Police Department, Power Girl (if her book gets canceled), etc.

Ideally, I guess I would agree, but I was just stating the fact really. Unless they've just going to have Superman swoop to foil Lex's plans in 900, and then get back to his walking and leave the book to someone else, I think it'll be back to another Superman book. And even though I do agree with you ideally, I still don't have much interest in the whole Grounded storyline (though that stuff they've teased thus far from Roberson's take over is seeming quite interesting), so it'll make a good alternative to whenever that stuff is done.

You gotta love this line:

It is an odd time for the Man of Steel. Starting with "Superman No. 701" last year, television and comics writer J. Michael Straczynski, best known for the TV show "Babylon 5," took over the title and sent our hero on a walking tour of the United States, a journey of self-discovery. Fan reaction was poor, mostly because it was Superman a) walking around and b) being a little grumpy.

I am liking what I'm seeing and hearing about Roberson's takeover of the title, though.

It's just nice to see a writer who dosent ***** about how tough superman is to write.

Plus the dude sees morrison as a guideline to a good superman portrayal, which makes things even better

Yeah, I especially liked that part.

"The standard knock on Superman is that he is so powerful, what can you give him to do that is interesting?" Roberson said. "Well, that's the writer's job — give him something to do. If he's having to stop muggers, it's going to get old fast. If he's having to travel outside of space and time and sing a certain note to restart the universe, that is really cool to me."
If this guy can cash the check on flushing down Grounded, would love to see him take a crack at his own storyline.

"hmm what should have Superman do in his comics guys"

"HAVE HIM WALK AROUND, MAKE HIM ***** AT PEOPLE"

"No, JMS, go back to your corner"

"he could do.... sommmmmething awesome?"

"thats so crazy it just might workk?!?!"

That article posted earlier said:
Roberson's idea of Superman gravitates more toward, as legendary comics writer Alan Moore put it, "a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good."
He is also a fan of Superman as moral compass. "There's a famous quote by (1970s and '80s Superman writer) Elliot S. Maggin that I love: 'There is a right and a wrong in the universe, and the distinction is not that difficult to make.'\u2009"
Okay, I guess I'll give Roberson's run a try, at least.

"hmm what should have Superman do in his comics guys"

"HAVE HIM WALK AROUND, MAKE HIM ***** AT PEOPLE"

"No, JMS, go back to your corner"

"he could do.... sommmmmething awesome?"

"thats so crazy it just might workk?!?!"

JMS must never be allowed out of his shame corner

Tron Bonne said:
If this guy can cash the check on flushing down Grounded, would love to see him take a crack at his own storyline.

Hope he does stick around after the Grounded storyline is finished :up:

The Action comic #900 cover is awesome and i'm liking what the new writer has in store for Superman, he seems to accept the fact the initial Grounded idea wasn't that exciting for majority, so he's spicing things up.

Yep it sounds neat but I think I will wait until Grounded is finished before buying Superman again

Wow...I gotta admit I haven't kept up with DC in a few months but wow...Batman is a corporation now, Superman is an emo that walks around all day pouting, and the JLA is a farce...and don't even get me started on Brightest Day lol...what the hell happened to the creative direction of the DCU??? Just a few years ago we had wonderful interconnected stories like OMAC, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, SCW and the like and now its like everything has gone horribly horribly awry...

As dumb as it sounds Batman and Superman are the two easiest characters in the world to write...how is it that no one is able to do it?

Wow...I gotta admit I haven't kept up with DC in a few months but wow...Batman is a corporation now, Superman is an emo that walks around all day pouting, and the JLA is a farce...and don't even get me started on Brightest Day lol...what the hell happened to the creative direction of the DCU??? Just a few years ago we had wonderful interconnected stories like OMAC, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, SCW and the like and now its like everything has gone horribly horribly awry...

As dumb as it sounds Batman and Superman are the two easiest characters in the world to write...how is it that no one is able to do it?
The answer to that is people complained that they did not like the fact that you had to follow one story just to get what's going on. Take the events leading up to IC people did not like the fact they had to follow other comics in order to get why Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman were at odds with one another. They wanted their stories to be self contained where you didn't have to follow one book to get whats going on and when you do stuff like that your results end up being Final Crisis or Blackest Night. I personally think the stories or the format of the stories should be like how they were during IC where each action effected the other.

weren't you the guy hating on blackest night?

No I didn't like it that's for sure but I kept my opinions of Blackest Night to myself. I am the one who was hating on Countdown. Which I have yet to see the point of.

not you, i meant stallion123456987654321 my bad

Grounded sucks but Action Comics is :awesome: like a possum and the Batman titles are fab right now with great titles like Batman Inc Batman&Robin and the fantastic new Batwoman ongoing starting next month

Don't think dc has gone horribly awry just because Grounded has been lame

Grounded sucks but Action Comics is :awesome: like a possum and the Batman titles are fab right now with great titles like Batman Inc Batman&Robin and the fantastic new Batwoman ongoing starting next month

Don't think dc has gone horribly awry just because Grounded has been lame
Not just Grounded, there is Wonder Woman, All their big events, Brightest Day (IMO), and a few others like Cry for Justice, Teen Titans (although it seems to be getting on track now) ROA and more hell I would even through the Flash in there. There was no reason to kick Wally to the curb what so ever:cmad::cmad::argh:. No Reason :(.

Wonder Woman has been getting better now Hester is writing it but Wally not being the lead character in Flash makes me :cmad: too

Bringing Hal back I can understand I think he was coming into his own where he was but hey I can understand the reasons for it. But Barry there was no reason for him to come back. Barry died a hero and now him coming back just cheapens his death. If you wanted to have Barry back just do an arc or two where he used the speed force to time travel and was helping the heroes out but to have him back is just pointless in my book. Batman is a mess as well for the simple fact I was starting to enjoy Dick as Batman and I don't see the need for Batman to become a corporate thing. If anything I like it better when people thought of him as a myth. I think Bruce coming back at some point had to happen but not as soon as they did and I think there should only be one Batman as well. That's like saying Superman went away and Conner once again took the name of Superman only for him to come back and now we have two Supermen in the same outfit almost running around. Not only that Superman starts giving his power out to make more Supermen to protect the world. Pointless IMO.

I like the idea of Batman Inc think it is a fun new idea for the comic books

Um in the above arcs I mentioned...Blackest Night wasn't one of them...

my point was that DC had a unified cohesive universe based on interesting character movement and where things happened that made sense...the action was briskly paced and even though it lead from one event to another they all worked together...

thats not to say there weren't bad stories I.E. countdown and blackest night but look at the gems that came out of it...

you can't tell me that the quality of writing hasn't dramatically decreased in the last few years...everything out of DC in the last 2 and half years has bored me to tears and from reading the boards the majority of posters would agree with me...

I like the idea of Batman Inc think it is a fun new idea for the comic books
I think as a short term thing it is fine but in the long run I think it is a poor idea. I think Bruce Wayne should have never come out and pulled an Iron Man (ending to the first movie) IMO because thats pretty much what he did. Also much like Spider-Man to many people know who Batman is and I think that should be a big No No as well.

Some of DC's titles have been boring like Flash Green Lantern Grounded and Cry for Justice

But lots have been fab like Secret Six Action Comics Batwoman Elegy and REBELS

The answer to that is people complained that they did not like the fact that you had to follow one story just to get what's going on. Take the events leading up to IC people did not like the fact they had to follow other comics in order to get why Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman were at odds with one another. They wanted their stories to be self contained where you didn't have to follow one book to get whats going on and when you do stuff like that your results end up being Final Crisis or Blackest Night. I personally think the stories or the format of the stories should be like how they were during IC where each action effected the other.

Maybe I'm making my point the wrong way...It not that I want more event driven comics...I'm just saying that the writing in those events can be applied to everyday comics and make them fresh and interesting...

The exception being Superman...I'm sorry and I could be alone in this thinking but Superman is the most powerful being in the DCU...his titles should all be events...he should be taking on the worst threats in the DCU on a regular basis...he shouldn't be walking around and doing nothing...he's gotten stale because writers don't know how to use him AT ALL...the Brainiac, legion and last son arcs were great but all that progress was cancelled out by the horrific New Krypton arc...

No one really takes Superman serious anymore...he's boring and stale and nothing really happens there now...for 50 years Superman courted Lois so they married them but now what...they crippled the romantic tensions there that their relationship is passe now...

There are way you can totally revamp the Superman universe without needing to retcon everything and take it in an interesting direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"