The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Whiskey Tango, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Well, with that scene in question...

I got the impression that Thor's proximity to the hammer creates the weather distrubances. It happens again when he is reuinted with Mjolnir

Also, BT, regarding your question

Apart from singlehandedly slaying about 5 times as many Frost Giants as any other characters, with total ease, the hammer throw we see in the trailer? Actually takes out about 15 Frost Giants. That giant beast, he flies through it's open mouth and out the back of it's head. That and the Destroyer scene, no matter how fast it goes, is truly awesome. That felt like the most iconic Thor scene to me... Seeing this figure, way up in the eye of a huge storm, spinning Mjolnir around and casting a tornado. He raises up Destroyer into the eye of the storm, along with cars etc. Then, after bashing hellfire blasts back at him, he flies straight into him, deflecting the hellfire all the way back at him until he's firing it at himself then he explodes. Smoke clears and we see Thor walking calmly towards Jane, with debris and cars just falling all around him. Epic.

2. BigThor God of Thunder

I thought he destroyed the Destroyer with a blow to the head?

#877 BigThor, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  3. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Spoiler tags BT.

No, he's blocking the hellfire all the way to his head, so as his hammer connects with the Destroyer face, it also is reflecting all the hellfire through his mouth and into the armour itself. Cue massive explosion

4. itchyscratch Registered

Without being specific ( because I'm new here and I'm not sure how specific I'm allowed to be) - to me Thor battling a foe was like a cat playing with a mouse, just toying with it and enjoying batting it about without really wanting to bite its head off and end the game. The boy clearly likes a challenge!

But when he wanted to end the game, he said so and did so, decisively.

He practically broke a planet for Thor's sake!

I liked the fact that Jane didn't need saving in this movie. Not too many times a love interest escapes an Heroic Desperate Rescue in these type of movies. But I'm sure she'll be in need of Thor's heroics in the other movies. I think anyone he battles will have to use his feelings for her in order to blackmail away some of his power options or else he'll be unstoppable.

5. BigThor God of Thunder

Oh ok so instead of,
    flying to the Destroyer and hitting him with the hammer he simply flies straight into it?

6. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Thor's not that kinda hero though, he's not Spider-Man. He doesn't fight through hordes of enemies to save the girl. His dilemma always seem to be on a grander scale, either Asgard or Earth or the very universe being underthreat. People like Loki would target people personal to Thor purely to manipulate him, throw him off balance, so they could concentrate on their grander schemes.

7. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

That is correct BT. And it looks very cool :p

8. itchyscratch Registered

9. BigThor God of Thunder

Niceee,
    does the Destroyer do an epic crash into the ground leaving a crater?

10. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

It's implied, there's a lot of wreckage but you don't see the aftermath that clearly.

11. BigThor God of Thunder

Oh ok, thanks for answering my numerous questions :woot: (lol)

12. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

You've asked alot of questions about Thor's fighting, and let me say this... You have absolutely nothing to worry about. That is absolutely perfect. 100 percent Thor, very satisfying and a lot more iconic Thor fighting than there was iconic Iron Man fighting

13. BigThor God of Thunder

Cool, I've asked questions about it because that's one of the few things I was worried about. I had no worries about the tone, direction, design, character portrayal, acting prowess.

I just didn't want to get another "Iron Man", you know, where everything's good except for the fight scenes.

#888 BigThor, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  14. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

Well it is definitely not that. The action is more akin to TIH, where they manage to work in a great deal of fan favourites but they don't feel forced, it just feels natural and bad ass.

15. BigThor God of Thunder

Nice, good to hear that Wolvie:thor:

16. Mercurius Merc with a mouth

Yeah, I know that: I really loved the movie, but I keep my personal tastes outside when I'm judging the merits of it in themselves.

For us, fans of the character, a 2 hour movie is ridiculously small. I could easily sit there for the next two hours of Thor.

Branagh did a very good job, and it was a most difficult one: to keep all levels in perspective without making any of 'em sound stupid.

But, for me, a movie gets 4 out of 5 when it is as near as possible to perfection in the given genre. Dark Knight for me is between 4 and 4.5. Iron Man is between 3.5 and 4.

Thor is the upper end of 3, perhaps a 3.5. With half hour more to smoothen the scene transitions (and to accomodate our emotional response to the fine drama involved), giving the edit team some room to work with no hurry, it would be a 4.

There is something really wrong with our present demand for non-stop action. Thor would benefit from Branagh's abilities with serious drama: there's a beautiful and painful story inside of it, not completely brought up to the screen, of how wisdom must be achieved through a harsh experience of life.

You know? Like the first and the second Superman? When we would watch all those sore experiences unfold until his glorious learning would bring the best of him to overcome evil and his own flaws.

Thor has some of these gem moments, but it doesn't concentrate on them to extract the best of it. Everything is in the same fast pace, and cinema is about giving every different situation its own time to develop and grow on our minds.

But I have enjoyed the movie a goooooooood deal. It is Marvel again making a corageous move on a difficult translation comics/cinema. And Marvel certainly wins.

Captain America has the difficult task of matching this one. All in all, I think the Avengers is gonna be, if everything is in the right place, THE superhero movie.

PS: still thinking about how X-Men:First Class will do in the middle of all that. The actors involved are the great of a younger generation, and I hope this will feel like a powerful graphic novel. I hope so.

17. Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

I agree Merc. It's a very enjoyable and it's in no way close to being a 'bad' movie, I think it's just Brannagh's inexperience with these sort of films and how to be time efficient, managing many scenes and moving parts. He's not bad at it by any means, just not as refined.

If anything, I think that's at least something Captain America will have over Thor, I think Johnston most definitely knows his way around a camera.

18. TheLongestDay "FOR ASGARD!!!"

In short....I freakin LOVED it! My favourite MARVEL film so far!

19. WarBlade Registered

I got lucky with the KDM tonight. I hadn't expected Thor to unlock for another day, but it was ready to go, so we just had to spend two hours making sure we got the volume setting right... :woot:

Verdict? I'm putting Thor right in line with the previous three Avengers-related movies. Above average, decent shows.

20. Vartha Mod of Thunder

MAN WB that sounds cool. :D I really miss the theater where I worked. lol

21. ladyloki Registered

Hey

I read possiably a spoiler and its been on my mind sense , I wonder if someone could clear it up with out giving away too much .

I read that
    loki kills the frost king not odin , I thought by odin killing the frost king is how he found loki as a infant . This is how it read based on loki's character so far, and they refenced it in avengers cartoon and loki and thor blood brothers movie . .

any info would be great thanks ... I gotta stop reading lol .. even though I know things it still will be a suprise on how its played out and why . :yay:

22. TheLongestDay "FOR ASGARD!!!"

The origin of Loki is shown and explained...and if you really want to know who kills the Frost king...

Loki does...

23. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well trying to NOT give too much away. In the COMICS Odin DOES kill Loki's father and adopts Loki, in the movie....

without giving too much away
    Loki was basically abandoned because he was so small and Laufey wasn't killed.

24. ladyloki Registered

Thanks Guys !!! ..:yay:

25. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Another positive review up on RT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.