The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's even fair to say it's not as good as Iron Man. They're very different films. In fact there are certain things it does a lot better than Iron Man, for a first film, but I wouldn't call either better or worse.

What are some of the things Thor does better than Iron Man for a first film?

Well action and fight scenes definitely for one. Also, as far as drama goes, there is certainly a lot more of that in Thor. What Iron Man had going for it is with the narrative structure, it didnt have so many moving parts so you got to spend just a lot of time with Tony, getting to know him and those close to him. Iron Man also had a more straight forward origin story that you could kind of work your way through. With Thor, in the space of a film they have to establish who Thor is, how arrogant he is, how he gets banished, how he can redeem himself enough to end up back in Asgard, and then also Loki's development, how he gradually descends into villainy for future films, as well as introducing both fantasy and cosmic concepts into a fairly real world based MCU. They had a LOT to do, so to have compiled all that and come away with a great film is a huge achievement. Iron Man 1 didn't have the weight of the whole MCU on it's shoulders at the time.

Well action and fight scenes definitely for one. Also, as far as drama goes, there is certainly a lot more of that in Thor. What Iron Man had going for it is with the narrative structure, it didnt have so many moving parts so you got to spend just a lot of time with Tony, getting to know him and those close to him. Iron Man also had a more straight forward origin story that you could kind of work your way through. With Thor, in the space of a film they have to establish who Thor is, how arrogant he is, how he gets banished, how he can redeem himself enough to end up back in Asgard, and then also Loki's development, how he gradually descends into villainy for future films, as well as introducing both fantasy and cosmic concepts into a fairly real world based MCU. They had a LOT to do, so to have compiled all that and come away with a great film is a huge achievement. Iron Man 1 didn't have the weight of the whole MCU on it's shoulders at the time.

Very good points, too bad most people don't understand those aspects, they just have a "this films better than that film" mentality (generally speaking).

Yeah, it's kinda silly. I think as far as the MCU is concerned, people are going to have to start getting used to thinking differently. One thing I was talking with my GF about was, she was saying "I liked Thor but he didn't grab me as a character. I'm looking more forward to Captain America. Although, I can't wait to see how Thor meshes with the other Avengers." and I said to her "You realise these films have essentially made you a comic fan". She was all "Hell no, what are you talking about?" And I said "Well, Marvel fans might have favourite characters and characters they aren't crazy about or don't get, but they still love the universe. You don't love Thor, but you see his film because it's connected to Iron Man and Cap, who you really like." I thought that was a really cool realisation, that after Avengers, people will really start to realise. Comic fans will be able to have the conversations with friends that up until know they've only been able to have with other comic fans..

Yeah, it's kinda silly. I think as far as the MCU is concerned, people are going to have to start getting used to thinking differently. One thing I was talking with my GF about was, she was saying "I liked Thor but he didn't grab me as a character. I'm looking more forward to Captain America. Although, I can't wait to see how Thor meshes with the other Avengers." and I said to her "You realise these films have essentially made you a comic fan". She was all "Hell no, what are you talking about?" And I said "Well, Marvel fans might have favourite characters and characters they aren't crazy about or don't get, but they still love the universe. You don't love Thor, but you see his film because it's connected to Iron Man and Cap, who you really like." I thought that was a really cool realisation, that after Avengers, people will really start to realise. Comic fans will be able to have the conversations with friends that up until know they've only been able to have with other comic fans..

Cool stuff indeed :up:

So, saw it last night (free showing ahead of release through a friend's work - even got a free bag of popcorn, Not bad, eh? :D).

I'm not really one for posting detailed reviews so all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Branagh just nailed the scope, the emotional depth, the action, the humour, the visuals - man, it was all brilliant.

Hopkins and Hiddleston were great, but Hemsworth stole the show with a pitch perfect performance which at no point felt forced or hokey.

Cant wait to see it again and laugh my head off at the 'I need a horse' line; although in truth that was just one of many great lines in that absolutely cracking script.

I've a few days off work so am actually in the cinema now and Thor starts in about 5 mins, can't wait! Popcorn - check. Pepsi - check. iPhone on silent - check.
I will report back in 2 hrs . . . . . .

I've a few days off work so am actually in the cinema now and Thor starts in about 5 mins, can't wait! Popcorn - check. Pepsi - check. iPhone on silent - check.
I will report back in 2 hrs . . . . . .

You're lucky. What I wouldn't give to be in that position as well.lol

1 min to go. In a mood for movies today so might slip into Fast 5 after this lol

You know whats awesome? I had that same, excited anticipation with this film all three times I saw it...In fact, I was probably MORE excited with the second viewing than I was with the first.

You know whats awesome? I had that same, excited anticipation with this film all three times I saw it...In fact, I was probably MORE excited with the second viewing than I was with the first.

Not surprising; if the box office is as good as the reviews and excitement over this film has been thus far, we're looking to reach the 500 Million dollar mark in Box office earnings.

Yeah, I'm like that too, because the 2nd & 3rd viewings is when you catch alot more details.

Yeah. It's like the first viewing is to answer the hype and the second viewing is to sit back, relax and enjoy the story and characters.

Yeah, the 2nd view is almost like watching it for the first time in the sense that you pick up so much extra stuff that you missed.

The second time you get to enjoy it as a film. For the first film, your head is so full of picking up references and comic things. Going "Oh man, thats a reference to Captain America" etc.

I'm just in awe that it's sitting at 95% on RT. 37 Positive 2 Negative in terms of reviews. I guess the real test will come when American reviewers/critics have at it. But what we have so far can only mean good things. Right? I'm so pumped for this movie!

This puts Captain America in a much better positions, because if the initial fears people had of it not doing well globally come true, then we've got Thor that did well globally (unsure domestically in the US) and Cap not doing well globally but presumably very well US domestically.

They'd have already put up a consensus with this many reviews in if not for the fact that only 2 of them are Top Critics. I think they require at least 5 of them to weigh in before they do that so 3 more to go(whenever they decide to get off their butts and review it). Funny thing is that w/ this many reviews already in by the time those 3 Top Critics do chime in, it'll be ready to be officially certified fresh as well. Sitting at 95% like it is right now, I can definitely see this remaining permanently in the 90% percentile range once it is all over.

Up to 95% now from 39 reviews!

Just finished. AWESOME, loved it! Hemsworth completely owns the role

lol, the Timeout critic's name is Tom Huddleston. He really had to give a positive review!

Not surprising; if the box office is as good as the reviews and excitement over this film has been thus far, we're looking to reach the 500 Million dollar mark in Box office earnings.

Lower your expectations. $500M ain't happening.

Hey guys, Does he indeed wear the helm a little and does he yell his "for Odin, For Asgard" battle cry? As for the box office, I have a feeling it will do better than some people think it will. I doubt it will make 500 world wide, BUT it will do pretty damn good. I think Marvel will be happy. But then again, who the hell knows with box office in this climate. It really could go either way, However I think all of the people that invested their time into the Iron Man films are going to want to continue the expanded story's and put the puzzle together for the Avengers so I truly think it will do better than most think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"