The Official Tom Welling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JcDc said:
If you look back on the thread it's pretty obvious it's not just one person antagonizing.
Bully for you. You reap what you sow.

Eh. The attempts to antagonize Welling fans for his not being in the film are ridiculous. Hello? He already IS Superman - and very much known for it. Just think of all the actors out there who won't - and will NEVER - be able to say that. The list can start with Mr. Law and work its way all the way to Mr. Caviezel for all we care. Keep that in mind folks. It's quite a small and elite club, and Tom is a member for life. In-at 'pecial? :D

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Clark who? ;)

tom-welling-kristen-kreuk-2.jpg

*pouts*

I like it when Jc antagonises me, it means I get to say something in return. Don't dish out what you can't take, that's been my mantra since time immemorial.

As for Tom, I wonder what movie role he WILL be doing.

*ponders*

Oh, and Pat... don't tell Jc that Tom's already Superman, apparently the truth has a tendency to overload his cerebral cortex. ;)

jas01724 said:
LOL! Y'know James, I picture you sitting there with a pouty face now. Too damn funny.

As for Tom, I wonder what movie role he WILL be doing.
I hope he goes for an action flick. I just caught Van Helsing on DVD tonight. Not the greatest film ever - by a LONG shot - but it *was* entertaining. Lots of eye candy. I'd love to see Tom do something along those lines, except with a better director and story. Anything action/sci-fi/fantasy oriented and I'll be in my happy place.

Oh, and Pat... don't tell Jc that Tom's already Superman, apparently the truth has a tendency to overload his cerebral cortex. ;)
I've noticed that happens with a LOT of people on this board. The WHOLE board. :rolleyes:

Nighters all. It's WAY past my bedtime.

We all know he isn't Superman already. He's playing Clark Kent in smallville only. He doesn't wear the suit, doesn't have his own job at The Planet (though he keeps meeting everyone as a teenager :rolleyes: )... It's a wb freak of the week tv series, that of which I do actually enjoy watching, it's good for what it is. It just wouldn't work for the big screen.

AgentPat said:
LOL! Y'know James, I picture you sitting there with a pouty face now. Too damn funny.
I do a good pouty face! Ask my mum.

I hope he goes for an action flick. ... Anything action/sci-fi/fantasy oriented and I'll be in my happy place.
I'd like a complete change of pace as he's already doing action/sci-fi. He's also proven he can do rom-com, so i'd quite like to see see how he'd handle a period piece.

JcDc said:
We all know he isn't Superman already.
There you go being self important again. At this point in time, of the three people currently in this discussion, 2 think that for all intent and purpose he's already Superman. One doesn't. Your "we" suddenly sounds a little exaggerated.

Well here is the cast list for ya. Notice it doesn't say Superman anywhere :o
--
Credited cast:
Tom Welling .... Clark Kent
Kristin Kreuk .... Lana Lang
Michael Rosenbaum .... Lex Luthor
Sam Jones III .... Pete Ross (2001-2004)
Allison Mack .... Chloe Sullivan
Eric Johnson .... Whitney Fordman (2001-2002)
John Glover .... Lionel Luthor (2002-)
Jensen Ackles .... Jason Teague (2004-)
Annette O'Toole .... Martha Kent
John Schneider .... Jonathan Kent
(more)--

P.s. pwnage :p Now I'll leave you to your thread to discuss Welling's role as a 27 year old teen Clark Kent on tv who's yet to become Superman :)

And Clark Kent is who, precisely?

p.s. How exactly do you get pwnage when you ignored my very deliberate quantifier that he's Superman "for all intent and purpose"? He doesn't have to literally BE Superman in order for most people besides yourself and the anally retentive to consider his as such.

James' Hint #2: To pwn someone you first have to fully comprehend what they actually said...

p.p.s Quoting IMDb? My, how your credibility takes a tumble.

JcDc said:
We all know he isn't Superman already. He's playing Clark Kent in smallville only. He doesn't wear the suit, doesn't have his own job at The Planet (though he keeps meeting everyone as a teenager :rolleyes: )... It's a wb freak of the week tv series, that of which I do actually enjoy watching, it's good for what it is. It just wouldn't work for the big screen.
This argument is utterly ridiculous...

Of course Clark Kent is superman. Superman is Clark's alter ego in the post crisis continuity (if I'm not mistaken), not the other way around.

Go post arguments like this where people will agree with you.

****. This is the very reason I took a week off from this place. I don't want it constantly said "I told you so!" and this is exactly what you're doing.

I sort of had a grudging respect for you and your seemingly inane devotion to Jude Law. Other than an occassional, I don't think so, I never told you you were demented for having this loyalty. Law would have been a very interesting choice, maybe too short, but he would have done very well otherwise.

But what did we get the whole time? You're crazy, and he can't act and he's wrong for this reason, or no way because of that reason.

Finally, when I heard Routh had gotten it. I thought all the negativity would finally be over and actually, despite my disappointment, said out loud to my self: "Thank God, that's over!"

However, I quickly found out how little I really know people. I had no idea that people would really care anymore what we thought or how we felt.

Instead of comisserating with each other, as we should, that one of our favorites for the part is not THE ONE, you come over and gloat and rub it in. Even implying that we are some how lacking for brain cells for even having wanted TW as Superman in the first place.

I've argued this all before over on the now defunct, and perhaps rightly closed, Welling Casting thread and thought I'd never have to again so I won't. You know my reasons for wanting him, and I know your reasons for wanting Law.

Go back to the Superman film forum to agrue about this or post those less than witty (in this context, not even close to being funny) manips.

This is the Tom Welling thread in the Smallville forum. Why won't you let us talk about him without bringing up the whole casting thing again? It only riles emotions better left unriled.

God, I was feeling really good until I came in here and found this drek on the Welling thread.

I had just finished my last rewrite of my spec script and was sending it off to a friend for a final proof read. That's the only reason I'd be up this late on a work night so I was really proud and satisfied and you totally ruined it, you ass.

I'm taking a month off of this place this time. Maybe by then all this bull**** will be over and done with.

AgentPat said:
Eh. The attempts to antagonize Welling fans for his not being in the film are ridiculous. Hello? He already IS Superman - and very much known for it. Just think of all the actors out there who won't - and will NEVER - be able to say that. The list can start with Mr. Law and work its way all the way to Mr. Caviezel for all we care. Keep that in mind folks. It's quite a small and elite club, and Tom is a member for life. In-at 'pecial? :D

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Clark who? ;)

tom-welling-kristen-kreuk-2.jpg

TV's new Superman. And here I thought magazines were calling him this generation's Superman. Well, that calms that down.

Later.

triplet said:
Of course Clark Kent is superman. Superman is Clark's alter ego in the post crisis continuity (if I'm not mistaken), not the other way around.

Well actually, that was the way it was in Post-Crisis. But Birthright brought back the Superman/Clark Kent disguise.

I see it another way. IMO, there are three personalities. There's the PUBLIC Clark Kent, which acts more as a disguise, Superman, which is closer to Clark's real personality but more confident, and the REAL Clark Kent, which is who he is when he's alone or with people who knows his secret.

sage1047 said:
I see it another way. IMO, there are three personalities. There's the PUBLIC Clark Kent, which acts more as a disguise, Superman, which is closer to Clark's real personality but more confident, and the REAL Clark Kent, which is who he is when he's alone or with people who knows his secret.
Well then I go the simple route; they're all Kal-El, and whomever plays Kal-El is playing all other variants of that character by default. Including Superman.

JcDc said:
Now I'll leave you to your thread to discuss Welling's role as a 27 year old teen Clark Kent on tv who's yet to become Superman.
Thank GAWD! Now scram! :D
We can only hope you abide by your parting words.

Sheesh!
Okay, where were we? Oh yeah...

jas01724 said:
I'd like a complete change of pace as he's already doing action/sci-fi. He's also proven he can do rom-com, so I'd quite like to see how he'd handle a period piece.
I wouldn't mind a GOOD rom-com, but very few directors can do that well. Seems like most have an easier time blowing up cars. LOL

jas01724 said:
And Clark Kent is who, precisely?
triplet said:
Clark Kent is Superman. Superman is Clark's alter ego in the post crisis continuity (if I'm not mistaken), not the other way around.
Beat me to it. :) As much as I prefer CK as the disguise, the fact remains, they're one in the same being. And as James pointed out, BOTH are Kal-El when you come right down to it.

I'm taking a month off of this place this time. Maybe by then all this bull**** will be over and done with.
Oh, Triplet, just ignore him. We have a forum here where discussion about SV AND Superman is allowed - for obvious reasons. I may not post that much right now (Fall/Holiday season is very busy for us - lots of staging going on, so I don't have the time to post), but I do still read. Most folks here are pretty level-headed and post interesting comments. Just ignore the trolls.

sage1047 said:
TV's new Superman. And here I thought magazines were calling him this generation's Superman.
They are. That Rolling Stone cover is from 2002, if I'm not mistaken. :p

MUST we argue this? Again? Here? Come on Sage. This is stupid, pointless, and it wastes bandwidth. Not to mention the fact that it's been BEATEN into the ground. Clark Kent IS Superman, and vice versa. And, it's not the suit, or the flying, or working at the Daily Planet that defines him.

...Wait, I believe I've already commented on this in another thread. I'll just quote myself; it's easier than retyping it:

AgentPat said:
For me, it doesn't matter whether he's seen on TV, film, or in comic books - Superman is as real as the individual wants him to be. Just because a film has a higher budget and reaches a larger audience, it doesn't necessarily mean its version of Superman is any more "official" than the ones drawn in comic books or seen on TV shows (with or without the suit.)

Superman is a paradigm for hope, ideals, and being a good person. He's all about truth, principle and ethicality. He leads by example, and is led by his own integrity, honor and conviction. These concepts are easily lost in the mainstream audience. But if a whole new generation of fans have been introduced - or reintroduced as the case might be - to who Superman is and what he represents through the power of a tv show, then I believe it to be a legitimate argument for those fans so touched to view that show's icon as their generation's Superman. If he's not yours, so be it. We all don't have to agree. Twenty years from now, I'm sure there will be another Superman for folks to look up to, and he won't be Welling, Routh, Reeve or any other name we know of today. Superman is an enduring myth, and just like the character, he'll be around for a very very long time.

AgentPat said:
They are. That Rolling Stone cover is from 2002, if I'm not mistaken. :p

MUST we argue this? Again? Here? Come on Sage. This is stupid, pointless, and it wastes bandwidth. Not to mention the fact that it's been BEATEN into the ground. Clark Kent IS Superman, and vice versa. And, it's not the suit, or the flying, or working at the Daily Planet that defines him.

...Wait, I believe I've already commented on this in another thread. I'll just quote myself; it's easier than retyping it:

I'm done arguing over the topic, Pat. I just never saw the covers of magazines that said such. I wonder if we'll see one in the future with both Routh and Welling on the cover. It could be something like: "Every generation deserves a Superman. Well this one gets two Count'em, two Supermen!" It would be a cool cover and they can do an interview and such. I'd pay to get that magazine.

jas01724 said:
Well then I go the simple route; they're all Kal-El, and whomever plays Kal-El is playing all other variants of that character by default. Including Superman.

That's pretty slick. :up:

JcDc said:
We all know he isn't Superman already. He's playing Clark Kent in smallville only.

*sigh* There is this same stoopid argument in the Brandon R. thread in the Superman foum right now. For those who may not have seen it - someone posted a list of everyone who has played Supes before, and of course.. immediately someone said that Tom W. doesn't belong on it since we don't see him as Superman on the show. I pointed out the 3rd season ep, Hereafter, where we see Clark's supposed "death" (or non-death, actually), and all we are shown is the RED CAPE WITH A YELLOW \S/ on it. I even posted the pic... You would not believe the responses. The anti-Welling prejudice of some people is just ridiculous.
Here's the pic:
smallville_hereafter_z_036_1.jpg

triplet said:

Aww, trip.. don't let the actions of one trollish poster push you over the edge. Stay here and play with us.. on the edge. :)

JcDc said:
P.s. pwnage :p Now I'll leave you to your thread to discuss Welling's role as a 27 year old teen Clark Kent on tv who's yet to become Superman :)

That's about the most pathetic attempt at pwnage.. ever. I can practically hear you stamping your little foot! :joker:

Don't slam the door on your way out.

AgentPat said:
I wouldn't mind a GOOD rom-com, but very few directors can do that well. Seems like most have an easier time blowing up cars. LOL

I think a rom-com would be awesome, but really good ones are a rarity these days. A nice indie, with decent mass exposure and publicity would be a nice start. OR a humungo blockbuster with a big cast would be a another good way to go.. Oceans 11/12-like.. where he wouldn't necessarily have to carry the film, but would reap the benefits of a widely seen flick.

AgentPat said:
I hope he goes for an action flick. I just caught Van Helsing on DVD tonight. Not the greatest film ever - by a LONG shot - but it *was* entertaining. Lots of eye candy.

It was fun, great special effects.. but oh man.. that dialogue! Yikes!

Some of the accents were making me cringe as well...

Serene said:
*sigh* There is this same stoopid argument in the Brandon R. thread in the Superman foum right now. For those who may not have seen it - someone posted a list of everyone who has played Supes before, and of course.. immediately someone said that Tom W. doesn't belong on it since we don't see him as Superman on the show. I pointed out the 3rd season ep, Hereafter, where we see Clark's supposed "death" (or non-death, actually), and all we are shown is the RED CAPE WITH A YELLOW \S/ on it. I even posted the pic... You would not believe the responses. The anti-Welling prejudice of some people is just ridiculous.
Here's the pic:
smallville_hereafter_z_036_1.jpg

I love that image on that episode even though I thought it would be more dramatic if they just showed images of ppl in shock and one image of Metropolis in wreck with a figure (Superman) laying down on the ground symbolizing his death to the hands of Doomsday...
But that was their way of sneaking a little of Superman in the show and it was really cool.

sage1047 said:
I just never saw the covers of magazines that said such.
Welling has been on the covers of a LOT of magazines. I'm unaware of any that say "this generation's Superman" however, or something along those lines. If the phrase is mentioned at all, it's usually in the accompanying article. Most mags just print his name in tiny letters (if it's printed at all - note the Rolling Stone cover) and some combination of "Clark Kent," "Superman," or "Smallville" in bold to get people's attention.

The argument I was referring to was the whole "he's not playing Superman yet," or some derivative of that debate. It just gets tiring after a while, y'know? Not only is "young Superman" part of the WB's official description for Welling's character on the show, but viewers would have to be pretty freakin' dumb, in denial, or just a troll to argue that he's not. It's really just semantics. Lois may not officially coin the name till Clark shows up in Metropolis, but that doesn't change who he is, how he acts, and what he does.

I wonder if we'll see one in the future with both Routh and Welling on the cover. It could be something like: "Every generation deserves a Superman. Well this one gets two Count'em, two Supermen!" It would be a cool cover and they can do an interview and such. I'd pay to get that magazine.
Well, I would too. But don't hold your breath. Rumor has it that Warners will not be doing any official publicity for the film till after it's shot. Compound this with their desire to put as much distance between film and skein, and it's re-heeeely doubtful that they'd be okay with Welling and Routh appearing together on the cover of a magazine. Wow, how to confuse the public, ahuh! What might be more likely is seeing both together at some industry or media event, unrelated to SV or Singer's film - after principal on the latter is completed. Just a hunch. And I'm sure the paparazzi would have a field day with that "unintentional" meeting. ;)

With the recent report that Routh signed on for 3 movies I'm actually becoming glad that Welling didn't sign. Why should he play the same character for his entire career? If they wanted to own someone's career Routh had little to lose. I'm not really into rom/com and I think he's already earned his cred in the scfi genre so a heavy drama or a period piece would be nice. I for one actually resonnate more with television than film. I think people are being really silly to act like because Routh will be in the movie it is automatically more important to the character. Smallville will survive on cable repeats and DVD. Most of what I remember pop culture wise from my childhood are television shows. It is a more intimate and personal form of entertainment that people invest much more time in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"