The Official "UP WITH QUESADA" Thread

Joe's father died of lung cancer as well, which played a big role in his decision to cut smoking from Marvel's comics. I miss seeing Fury with a stogie in his mouth, but I don't really care one way or the other.

It's something I haven't payed much attention to lately until I read some DC books that featured the GCPD smoking. It was almost like walking into an establishment that offers a smoking section after living in a state where it's outlawed.

I'd have to disagree with all the Q shippers seeing that my Marvel list is on the choppin' block these days an' my Distinguished Competition lists are on the rise.

It all comes down to this for me.

He said that the Thing couldn't smoke a cigar. And that's wrong.

So if he rethinks his cigar policy, I'll rethink my position on him.

:thing: :thing: :thing:

I can understand his reasoning for that mandate, but realisticly it should only apply to the Marvel Adventures line. Truth be told who under the age of 22yrs reads comicbooks anymore or freaking read in general for that matter?

It's a dumb rule. Comics have illicit sex, adultery, sodomy, wife beating, murder, hate crimes, racism, torture, genocide, vigilantism, terrorists, recreational drug use and pretty much anything else that can be imagined as bad to polite society... but smoking is too graphic. Right.

I just read an interview on comics, manga and graphic novels for kids and teens with JANA MORISHIMA of Diamond Dist. and she said the target audience for comics from all major companies is the 18-35 year old male. Joey Q is just anti-smoking and not concerned with protecting the young.

With that said I think he is doing a pretty good job overall. The universe seems more cohesive with unified story lines and not a bunch of disjointed little arcs in their own world. Disassembled, CW, Initiative, Planet Hulk, WWH, the new Skrull thing all marry together well, as do the last couple years of X-arcs. Even though he has killed off several characters that 5 years ago would have had in my top twenty-five favorites: Cap, JoHearts, Black Goliath, Namorita, Human Torch, Jean Grey and Nomad... but at least most meant something to the story. They didn't have to make Nomad a drunken, insane loser... Bucky could have killed him without degrading the character.
The only death that really bothers me is Jim Hammond, because it was in a lousy book, with horrible art and worse writing and then they cancel it the issue he dies, kind of a pointless death in a book no one read. I think a 60+ year old character deserved a little better even if he was just a B-list guy.

As much as I support Quesada's anti-smoking stance, the way he's going about it is pretty damn ******ed. It's patronizing to his adult readers at best and forceful censorship at worst. No one is going to look at Wolverine not smoking and decide zomigod I should never smoke.

As it is, though, it's really not that big a deal compared to some of his other less-than-pleasant traits.

It's a dumb rule. Comics have illicit sex, adultery, sodomy, wife beating, murder, hate crimes, racism, torture, genocide, vigilantism, terrorists, recreational drug use and pretty much anything else that can be imagined as bad to polite society... but smoking is too graphic. Right.

I just read an interview on comics, manga and graphic novels for kids and teens with JANA MORISHIMA of Diamond Dist. and she said the target audience for comics from all major companies is the 18-35 year old male. Joey Q is just anti-smoking and not concerned with protecting the young.

With that said I think he is doing a pretty good job overall. The universe seems more cohesive with unified story lines and not a bunch of disjointed little arcs in their own world. Disassembled, CW, Initiative, Planet Hulk, WWH, the new Skrull thing all marry together well, as do the last couple years of X-arcs. Even though he has killed off several characters that 5 years ago would have had in my top twenty-five favorites: Cap, JoHearts, Black Goliath, Namorita, Human Torch, Jean Grey and Nomad... but at least most meant something to the story. They didn't have to make Nomad a drunken, insane loser... Bucky could have killed him without degrading the character.
The only death that really bothers me is Jim Hammond, because it was in a lousy book, with horrible art and worse writing and then they cancel it the issue he dies, kind of a pointless death in a book no one read. I think a 60+ year old character deserved a little better even if he was just a B-list guy.

We're in total agreement on THAT. He is Marvel's first superhero, and deserves MUCH better. :up:

Maybe it was part of Joe Q's master plan to streamline characters with duplicate names. He's already made Penance Hollow so he could make Speedball Penance and Hawkeye Ronin so he could make Kate Bishop Hawkeye and the Scorpion Venom so he could have the AIM/SHIELD Scorpion. Maybe he just really, really doesn't like duplicate names.

Still a lame way for the original Torch to go out, though. Maybe they'll bring him back and use whomever's left of the Twelve after JMS' mini-series to create a JSA-style team of Golden Agers. That would kick ass.

He's an android, it's not like he'll stay dead.

I never read that book. That was the book where everyone said that C.P. Smith's artwork was horrible, and I thought they were crazy.

Smith relied way too heavily on computer software in that series.

No, I think he drew really, really bare contours of the characters.

I just looked at some interior shots on Mile High's site, and they look alright to me. It's like a Kolins/Middleton hybrid. Or like that Rob Haynes guy that did that Daredevil mini a while back and then disappeared off the face of the planet.

His art looks very awkward and lazy to me. I'm pretty sure he does use 3D models for all of his backgrounds, too.

He might. Quesada was actually pushing for it not too long ago.

I'd have to disagree with all the Q shippers seeing that my Marvel list is on the choppin' block these days an' my Distinguished Competition lists are on the rise.

But you have horrible taste anyway so nobody cares.

I don't mind for things like Stark Tower or the Sanctum Sanctorum. That helps everyone in keeping the look and location of those buildings straight.

I don't want to read comics in a climate that would deny me Pete Woods or George Pérez backgrounds. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"