The Official Vertigo Thread

Tron Bonne

All ash, No Sass
Reaction score
Okay, I'm pretty sure there's no subforum for DC's Vertigo imprint, and I think it's fair game to say a Vertigo thread would go in this board since it is an imprint of DC.

Okay, I kind of realized how little discussion seems to pop up for Vertigo titles. I know that some people read them, but they only rarely seem to pop up for quick reviews of Vertigo titles, so I thought maybe if I started this as a free-for-all Vertigo thread some other Vertigoers would come in and strike up some conversions and discussion.

Any discussion, news, recommendation or reviews from the Vertigo imprint, either of old or new, will be welcome. *I know this is pretty broad, but since it seems discussion is pretty low on titles of the imprint, I don't think I'm being overly zealous with starting this*

Anyway, the ongoing Vertigo titles I'm picking up are Madame Xanadu & The Unwritten. I was picking up Young Liars, but unfortunately, it was canceled. I highly suggest picking up the three trade volumes of the series.

I recently picked up Volume 1 of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run (which was reprinted under the imprint) and Volume 1 of The Invisibles. Haven't got to read either one of them, though.

Also, just for the sake of starting out the thread, here's an interview with Ba and Moon on their upcoming ten issue mini, Daytripper:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23756

:up: Morrison's Doom Patrol is by far my favorite comic run ever. To bad his Flex Mentello with Quitely will never be reprinted.

Right now my Vertigo publishes my favorite titles. Scalped probably tops the list of Vertigo books and if you are not reading it shame on you. Looking forward to both Daytripper and Joe the Barbarian.

:up: Morrison's Doom Patrol is by far my favorite comic run ever.

Yeah, I don't think I've heard a bad thing about his Doom Patrol run. I've heard some mixed things about The Invisibles (mostly the ending), but I'm looking forward to reading both.

I'm also looking forward to Joe and Daytripper. Great creative teams on both, and they each sound like interesting premises.

Joe the Barbarian looks cool. I'll probably give that a try.

Joe the Barbarian looks cool. I'll probably give that a try.

You've read I Kill Giants, right? Does it sound like Joe is of similar premise to that? I haven't read Giants myself, but the general plot of each seems like they may be similar.

On another note, my shop didn't order any of Daytripper to my disappointment. I could of sworn I had put it on my pull list, but I guess I forgot or just assumed he'd get a few for the shop or something. Asked him to special order and hopefully will get it by next week

Similar elements, I guess, but they're different. The girl in I Kill Giants believed in giants and fantasy stuff while everyone else thought she was crazy, and it was firmly rooted in reality. Based on the preview of Joe the Barbarian, it looks like Joe's pulled out of reality and introduced into a fantasy world based on his toys.

The Invisibles is INCREDIBLE, but I recommend not starting to read it until you picked up volume 2 as well. reading volume 1 alone might leave you with mixed, if not disappointed feelings. But the story REALLY picks up with volume 2 and will make you wanting more.

I'll keep that in mind and not give a solid judgment of it until I read the second issue trade. Seemed like the main criticism I've heard about the series is that most of the payoffs just don't match the buildups.

Vertigo is the only reason I look at DC books these days, as I've been there since the imprint launched back in the 90's...

The one thing I hate about Vertigo is that old school DC characters like Swamp Thing (and by proxy, John Constantine), can't be used in the regular DCU because Karen Berger (sic) has some kind of chip on her shoulder, and we've seen John interact with Zatanna and even Morpheus... so it's all connected... just not in her eyes...

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Other than HellBlazer, the only other Vertigo book I've been reading monthly is House of Mystery, which I need to get caught up really soon...

:yay:

I heard a while ago that the reason they can't use Vertigo characters in mainstream DC books is because it might encourage younger readers to read Vertigo comics. But I don't know if that's true.

Anyway, I cut a lot of comics, so I'm now down to just Madame Xanadu and the Fables comics on Vertigo. I dropped House of Mystery because the main thrust of the initial story arc came to a decent conclusion and I hadn't even really been into the main story for the last couple issues anyway. DMZ, Northlanders, and Scalped were good but at the bottom of my pile every week and I kept forgetting to read them, so I'm way behind anyway. I may start picking Northlanders and maybe DMZ up in trades, but I don't know.

Just caught up with Unknown Soldier, really fantastic series. Thinking about getting into House of Mystery. Any recommendations?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091221-dc-march-2010-solicitations.html

March solicitations for all the regular titles, as well as the debut of the Scott Synder & Stephen King penned American Vampire ongoing series with art by Rafael Albuquerque and the newest addition to Vertigo Crime series of OGNs, The Executor. Also, though it's actually under WildStorm, David Lapham has a new mini coming called Sparta: USA which sounds interesting. Unfortunately, looks like no I, Zombie yet

Just caught up with Unknown Soldier, really fantastic series. Thinking about getting into House of Mystery. Any recommendations?

You reading The Unwritten, by any chance?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091221-dc-march-2010-solicitations.html

March solicitations for all the regular titles, as well as the debut of the Scott Synder & Stephen King penned American Vampire ongoing series with art by Rafael Albuquerque and the newest addition to Vertigo Crime series of OGNs, The Executor. Also, though it's actually under WildStorm, David Lapham has a new mini coming called Sparta: USA which sounds interesting. Unfortunately, looks like no I, Zombie yet

You reading The Unwritten, by any chance?

Yup, been loving each issue. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Looking forward to American Vampire and more Lapham that isn't a video game tie-in. Hopefully I, Zombie comes out after Roberson's Cinderella mini.

Man, Joe the Barbarian looks really promising. I can't wait for the first issue.

I have a lot of graphic novels to read, but after I finish, I'd like to start getting into Gaiman's 'The Sandman'. Any good?

Yes, it is an excellent series. The first trade may not hook you, but it's still pretty good, and gets better and better as it goes along

Sandman is just amazing, get past the first trade it's necessary for the story but Gaiman was still finding where he was going with the character. Doom Patrol was actually one of my favourite runs ever.

Joe the Barbarian sounds really good too.

I've got to start reading Fables some day.

[A];17870248 said:
..and there should be :argh:

Yeah, ideally I agree, but I can kind of see why there isn't one. Seems like there's almost no discussion for Vertigo titles. Even the more popular titles, like Fables, only get a couple of mentions in the Bought/Though threads ever once and awhile from the regulars.

Anyway, got the debut issue of Daytripper this week. Haven't read it, yet, but am looking forward to reading it later on.

"Have you guys been around the DC forum lately?" Corp asked rhetorically. There are like 5 threads that are actually, continually active in here for all of DC's comics, and one of them is the lounge thread that's pretty much unrelated to comics of any kind like 80% of the time. A Vertigo sub-forum would be a barren wasteland.

Yeah, ideally I agree, but I can kind of see why there isn't one. Seems like there's almost no discussion for Vertigo titles. Even the more popular titles, like Fables, only get a couple of mentions in the Bought/Though threads ever once and awhile from the regulars.

Anyway, got the debut issue of Daytripper this week. Haven't read it, yet, but am looking forward to reading it later on.

I think the main problem about this is the fact that this is the 'super hero hype' and not the "general comic book hype" board. I guess many users around here are mainly superhero fans and barely read anything else that is on the market.

Kinda strange that I'm around here, considering that I, on the other hand, barely read any superhero comicbooks. :D

I've got to start reading Fables some day.
The first few issues of Fables are absolutely incredible but I personally think the series went downhill fast. I'm not caught up yet so maybe it returns to its former glory but a certain something (I won't spoil it, but it's not death) happened to two of my favorite characters that really put me off of it for a while.

And to whoever asked if they should read Sandman: YES, YES, AND MORE YES. The first issue starts out a little slow but don't let that put you off!

I really need to start reading Joe the Barbarian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"