The Official Vertigo Thread

I've never gotten into Fables either but I love Jack of Fables.

It hasn't started yet, so you're still good. ;)

:doh:
Well, that makes life easier!

And oh, I've been meaning to check out Jack of Fables but I'm reading so many ongoings, I don't know how much more my wallet and brain can take!

Last edited:
Jack of Fables is hilarious. There have been times when I've easily enjoyed it a lot more than Fables itself because it has the freedom to just be light and funny.

A friend bought me the first trade of 100 Bullets for Christmas, which is nice.

Although it's now just another series to get hooked on.

But it's also over, so you at least know there's an end in sight. Like 10 trades away. :)

Haha, that's what I told myself about Transmet and I've still got 8 trades left after a year of buying the first two.

You've convinced me - I'm gonna go hunt down some Jack of Fables scans!

And I'm not a huge fan of Azzarello's writing so I couldn't get into 100 Bullets, but I'm considering giving it another try.

How is there no Hellblazer thread in the DC forum? Any other longtime fans of the book around here? I started reading Hellblazer on a monthly basis with #146, the start of Azzarello's run (although my first exposure to the book was when I became a fan of Ennis because of Preacher and wanted to read some of his earlier work).

From Azzarello right through Mike Carey's run was non stop solid storytelling. I wasn't too crazy about Denise Mina, but Andy Diggle was outstanding! As far as Milligan goes....it's not great, it's not bad, it's just okay. I miss Gemma and Angie Spatchcock. I hope they come back soon.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

John Constantine is one of my all time favorite characters but I've just started following him monthly. The only other thing I've read with him is Swamp Thing and some Ennis work.

The best thing about Hellblazer is that almost EVERY story is available in trades. My personal recommendations are any of the Ennis, Azzarello, Carey, and Diggle stories. Warren Ellis had a great six parter called Haunted. That was a kick ash story.

Paul Jenkins had a run during the 90's that people loved. I still haven't read it but it's on my list.

The only Constantine stuff I read was from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and his appearance in Sandman. He seemed like an interesting enough character, but I just never really checked out his ongoing

I just read the first volume of Lucifer over the last couple of days. It was really good. I'm gonna have to get a few more of the trades.

I just read the first volume of Lucifer over the last couple of days. It was really good. I'm gonna have to get a few more of the trades.
Yeah, Lucifer's pretty awesome. Only need the last two volumes myself.

I can't wait to start reading Joe the Barbarian.

I've been reading Unknown Soldier from the start. It's a masterpiece.

I've read some recent Hellblazer, and it kicked my ash. I missed out on a lot of backstory, though, and felt a little lost.

House of Mystery had me fascinated for several issues earlier in they year. The cover art has been outstanding.

I tried Madame Xanadu for 2 issues. It's good quality, but it just didn't hook me in.

The Unwritten sounds very promising. I'll be picking it up at some point, probably in TPB. Same goes for Daytripper.

I'll be picking up Swamp Thing, Sandman, Unwritten and Sweet Tooth in trades.

I just got a whole bunch of Hellblazer trades for christmas and I'm gonna start working my way through them.

Ill be waiting for Joe the Barbarian in trade. DMZ is the only Vertigo title I read monthly. I think it works aright for the book, but for the most part Vertigo reads better in trade.

I'm thinking of Unwritten or Unknown Soldier, I've heard both were great. But I hear amazing things about Air, so I might go with that unstead.

OK guys... I need help!

If I was to pick up 1 HELLBLAZER graphic novel, which one would be the most essential?

I'm thinking about HELLBLAZER: Original Sins.

Would that be a good jumping on point?

Last edited:
OK guys... I need help!

If I was to pick up 1 HELLBLAZER graphic novel, which one would be the most essential?

I'm thinking about HELLBLAZER: Original Sins.

Would that be a good jumping on point?

I would actually start with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing books where Constantine was first introduced. Brilliant stuff. I liked Original Sins, but not enough to really jump onto the title. I'm curious as to what I should check with Hellblazer as well though: I hear Ennis's run was pretty good and Azzarello's was rather hit or miss.

But you should also check out the new Constantine book, "Dark Entries" by Ian Rankin. Clever stuff.

Speaking of Azzarello, i bought up 100 Bullets vol. 1-10 at my local comic shop during one of their holiday sales. This is great stuff. Hard to follow sometimes(just finished The Counterfifth Detective and my brain kinda hurts), but absolutely wonderful.

Here's Warren Ellis's unpublished Hellblazer story, Shoot.

He quit after DC refused to run it. Too bad he seems like the perfect match for the character.

He was the perfect match for Vertigo Comics overall. It really saddens me to see this. His Avatar-Press stuff is so damn hard to catch up, especially if you live in a city which's only comicshop closed down in 2006. So I've got to go to Vienna by train, 3 freaking hours, everytime I want to check out a comicbook I can't even find online. And even then it's poor luck if they've got anything by Avatar press.

A damn shame, especially since his Avatar-Stuff would fit perfectly in the Vertigo line-up.

Just got the hardcover editions of SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING vol. 1 & 2

also I AM GOING TO PICK UP... Hellblazer Original Sins & the sequel HELLBLAZER CONSTANTINE.

He was the perfect match for Vertigo Comics overall. It really saddens me to see this. His Avatar-Press stuff is so damn hard to catch up, especially if you live in a city which's only comicshop closed down in 2006. So I've got to go to Vienna by train, 3 freaking hours, everytime I want to check out a comicbook I can't even find online. And even then it's poor luck if they've got anything by Avatar press.

A damn shame, especially since his Avatar-Stuff would fit perfectly in the Vertigo line-up.

That sucks.

I've been enjoying Doktor Sleepless but that's taking forever to come out. Although everything Ellis seems to do nowadays takes forever. One day I will be holding a new issue of Fell and Desolation Jones in my hands.

Interview with Jason Aaron

Scalped is definitely one of my favorite monthlies. Can't way to see how The Gnawing is going to end.

Also, did anyone else pick up Joe the Barbarian? Personally, I loved it.

Last edited:
Also, did anyone else pick up Joe the Barbarian? Personally, I loved it.

Yeah, I liked it but kind of felt like there wasn't much to it. I think that will change in the next few issues, though. It was interesting enough that I look forward to the rest of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"